Author Topic: GCW Zero  (Read 1451704 times)

CREATICA

Re: GCW Zero
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 11:53:32 pm »
The size of the screen is one of the strongest features. I can't put up with those huge monsters with 5 and 7 inches. It's waaaaaay to big for me. I can't understand why they're keep doing that. It's ok for tablets - even recommendable- but not for portable handhelds. As long it fits on your pocket is always OK.

I agree: flawless PSX and N64 emulation is the least you can ask for that price. Otherwise I hope they enhance the resolution - to watch movies or to play with SCUMM - that would be a great pro.

I don't like none of the android devices so far. They all look like prototypes, like something that is unfinished yet.

SuperL

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 12:31:18 am »
I use a modded PSP phat for most of my emulation gaming. What put me off the Dingoo (which I have) is how much of a step down the screen was from the PSP, and the GCW's screen looks to be only a marginal step up from the Dingoo.

If JXD can pull off the 5-inch screen for a handheld with a touch screen (albeit a resistive one) for $99, what's stopping GCW from putting in one for a normal screen?

I'm also concerned about emulation. The Dingoo when I used it last had trouble running Super Mario World, much less Star Fox. And if this has similar problems, it's going to look really bad next to the Android devices that can run SNES games flawlessly.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:38:43 am by SuperL »

CREATICA

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 08:12:50 am »

If JXD can pull off the 5-inch screen for a handheld with a touch screen (albeit a resistive one) for $99, what's stopping GCW from putting in one for a normal screen?

+1

The 640x480 would be useful for Dosbox.

The screen should be top of the cream for that price (100$). There are no excuses to do it otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:58:52 am by CREATICA »

CREATICA

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 08:14:25 am »
repeated

Alien Grey

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 08:18:32 am »
It looks like it's going to be a more closed-source than open-source device.

The final goal is to have a gaming system with a Repository like Android app store where apps/games can be downloaded for free or purchased from developers on the repository. We are in development phase of this also with another group also called MyITKnowledge.com.

Source: http://game-consoles-worldwide.blogspot.com.ar/

I thought that the idea behind OpenDingux was that everyhting should be free. I guess that I was wrong.  ???
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

qbertaddict

• The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:05 am »
I use a modded PSP phat for most of my emulation gaming. What put me off the Dingoo (which I have) is how much of a step down the screen was from the PSP, and the GCW's screen looks to be only a marginal step up from the Dingoo.

I'm also concerned about emulation. The Dingoo when I used it last had trouble running Super Mario World, much less Star Fox. And if this has similar problems, it's going to look really bad next to the Android devices that can run SNES games flawlessly.

YOu must have used a dingoo really long ago if it wasn't running super mario world full speed. If you watch the teaser video you will see it already runs starfox and yoshis island 100% with frameskip 0

zear

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 10:47:53 am »
I thought that the idea behind OpenDingux was that everyhting should be free. I guess that I was wrong.  ???
And the kernel sources will be available. Same about source for GPL games/emus. I believe they mean that they will have a platform for indie/commercial games - but that has nothing to do with OpenDingux as an operating system.

robert2098

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 12:15:48 pm »

That the platform (OpenDingux) is free and that everybody can develop for it, does not mean that applications for OpenDingux must be free and/or open source. Application authors can choose to release it for free or they can choose to distribute it commercially via an app store.

Just like with Linux. Linux is free but there are many Linux games that are commercial.

Robert

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 12:40:08 pm »

Not really no, where did you get that idea?

K-77

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 03:11:35 pm »
Yeah, better prepare your cash because OpenDingux will not be cheap.

Alien Grey

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 06:23:29 pm »
Yeah, better prepare your cash because OpenDingux will not be cheap.

That's exactly what I'm thinking too. Why should anyone want to release something for free if you can ask money for it?  ;)
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 06:39:42 pm »
Probably be a nice idea to start a GCW Zero forum, and move that lonely open dingux handheld thread in the Dingoo hw forum there along with this one. Putting together some links a thread on other sites that is getting some traffic wrt to this device: (and direct GCW resp)
http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/8175-gcw-zero-prototype-teaser-video/

Also just note that GCW had a blog page with an offer to purchase a "special edition" (512MB RAM v. 256MB std).  Sire says only 100 offered target delivery of mid-July - August, deposit placed now(BUY button -> paypal $65), receipt for balance mailed 2w before launch, refund if not shipped within 3w of final payment.
http://game-consoles-worldwide.blogspot.com/

Strongly thinking of ordering it, just wish that they'd've gone 1GB RAM, plus I'd kind of like to know what the final cost of the "special edition" would be as they fail to mention a price range unless it's going to be the same price as "standard" edition and they just need a little upfront cash to get production rolling.

[EDIT]
Strike that.  I just went ahead with a pre-order of the special edition given that there are only 100(no idea how many have been ordered yet if any) and I'd kick myself if I missed it and they never offered 512MB again... OTOH if most of them will just be 256MB all the devs will target that spec...
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:45:22 pm by cutterjohn »

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 02:39:56 am »
So $65 deposit, I too wonder what the final cost is going to be?

I hate pre-ordering, I'd rather wait until the device is completed and tested and feedback is available.

raygan

• I'm on Twitter and stuff...
GCW Zero
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 03:06:23 am »
I agree; I'm excited about the device but I think this is a shady practice that smells of vaporware. I'd have felt more confident if they had used a more established process, like a Kickstarter or something. Or at least list a final definite price before asking for partial payment.
That said, once this device is out and being sold in a reliable manner I'm all over it.

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 03:21:14 am »
Well I'm going to need to see the OS and emus in action before I part with my cash. I did watch a great video by QB but this only showed games being played, not the main menu or menus for any of the emus.

At the moment I'm doubting how well this is going to run anything beyond the 16-bit era. Price is also a concern, it would have to be under triple digits before I considered it.

cruelcynic (OP)

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 03:55:23 am »
I decided to go ahead and pre order it. Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Seph817

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 01:52:57 pm »
I just preordered it, too. It's going to be $125 for the Special Edition. I can't wait.

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 07:14:19 pm »
I agree; I'm excited about the device but I think this is a shady practice that smells of vaporware. I'd have felt more confident if they had used a more established process, like a Kickstarter or something. Or at least list a final definite price before asking for partial payment.
That said, once this device is out and being sold in a reliable manner I'm all over it.
Might be too small for quickstarter or not meet some other criteria... [EDIT] Likely be good for publicity though... [/EDIT]

I'm just in it because we'll end up with source for just about everything with blobs for some of the ingenic stuff hopefully with a method that aloows rebuilding interfaces(modules) for newer kernels.

This is also why I'd kinda like em to eventually do an android device too, but it seems like android builds are a bit trickier unless they hijack CM into supporting it...  The CM builds are generally pretty good IMO, even the nightlies mostly or at they were for CM7...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:16:40 pm by cutterjohn »

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 07:16:17 pm »
Well I'm going to need to see the OS and emus in action before I part with my cash. I did watch a great video by QB but this only showed games being played, not the main menu or menus for any of the emus.

At the moment I'm doubting how well this is going to run anything beyond the 16-bit era. Price is also a concern, it would have to be under triple digits before I considered it.
You need to READ the thread at openpandora where they're(GCW) actually posting.  They attempting to build a custom menu but will fallback to gp2menu(or whatever it was) if they can't get their new one good enough before launch.

CREATICA

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 07:46:29 am »
From http://game-consoles-worldwide.blogspot.fr/2012/05/couple-questions-have-been-asked-about.html#comment-form

What is final cost of GCW Zero Special Edition it will be between $110.00 to $120.00

So now we've increased the price a little bit further.

120$. Good luck with that.

Post a new topic