Author Topic: GCW Zero  (Read 1416377 times)

cruelcynic (OP)

GCW Zero
« on: May 19, 2012, 12:58:41 am »
http://game-consoles-worldwide.blogspot.com/
I have been reading about this one on a few other forums and thought I would post about it here. The specs on the site seem to be the current prototype but it was mentioned he was checking out the possibility of a 640x480 screen. For the $110 target price I think I would get it.

samir

Re: GCW Zero
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:34:14 am »

cruelcynic (OP)

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:03:02 am »
I started a thread here since it is not a dingoo.

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 03:23:45 am »
$110 sounds a little expensive to me, given the new wave of Android based devices that are on the market. $70 to $80 sounds more reasonable.

I really can't be bothered with another Dingoo/Linux type device, unless it fully supports the range of software already available for the A320, which in this case isn't a possibility due to the hardware differences.

emrextreme

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:22:41 am »
I wouldn't buy it unless N64 and PSX emulation is smooth, battery life is outstanding. If this device can do that, i'll be gladly buy it.

zear

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 08:25:13 am »
I really can't be bothered with another Dingoo/Linux type device, unless it fully supports the range of software already available for the A320, which in this case isn't a possibility due to the hardware differences.
It does. Or at least it should be binary compatible because of hardware similarities. And even if it won't, what's the problem with recompiling everything you want? Notice how they mention open source community. I'm sure they will release a toolchain so everything can be ported.

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 12:01:03 pm »
This is Justin's (DDU) new device, for anyone wondering. I wish him the best of luck and will almost certainly be purchasing one when they're ready.

K-77

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 12:16:51 pm »
I really like the design and specs off course. I hope the prize will be rational :)

/// 110 dollaros americanos? So that will be ~ 330 PLN  ouch!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:32:21 pm by kowkar77 »

robert2098

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 09:49:28 pm »
It is maybe a bit limited compared to the Android devices, but it seems more interesting than Blaze's GameGadget which is underpowered (for today's standards) and looks to be a closed system.

But reading .pdf files on a 320*240 screen? Seems not very practical to me.

320*240 is OK for lots of retro systems except for CPS1/2. Those have a 384*224 resolution a don't look good scaled down on a Dingoo. Also other systems like Amiga, Atari ST, Atari XL can have over-scanned displays (wider than 320 pixels). So a screen with higher resolution would be nice.

Robert

zear

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 11:21:07 pm »
Keep in mind that the GPU can be used for some more advanced scaling/smoothing methods. Additionally these games can be played on a higher resolution via HDMI-out.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:23:37 pm by zear »

Pingouin

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 12:58:55 am »
$110? Yikes! :o
Well, I told the wife to hang onto her wallet for my next present as I was planning to go for the GCW, but I'll happily cough up an extra $35 for the YDPG18A.
Can't believe I only paid ?50 for my Dingoo more than 2 years ago, best gaming purchase ever that was.

retrogamer

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 06:31:46 am »
Really like the look of it. Have not been impressed with the android devices, cheaply made forsure. The Yinlips I bought was a piece of junk. If the build quality is good I will be buying one forsure.

CREATICA

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 12:57:41 pm »
$110 sounds a little expensive to me, given the new wave of Android based devices that are on the market. $70 to $80 sounds more reasonable.

If we consider the existence of Android devices, yes it's damm expensive. I think that price range you've mentioned is right (70$-80$). I'll be glad if they reconsider to have a better screen (320x240 in 2011 D.C.? C'mon). There's a tight competition with android. I like dingux but if we have to be practical I think the future is Android, Dingux is a small nich?. Besides I can't imagine people waiting for years for small improvements in emulators. Not anymore. I've been there and I don't want to experience it again. Time equals money.

At the end of the day, everything is about the final price. Let's see the backlash from Jxd and Yinlips. Oh, by the way, cheap dual core tablets are on the make for less than 100$

I like the design and the size, though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:28:21 pm by CREATICA »

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 01:28:19 pm »
This is Justin's (DDU) new device, for anyone wondering. I wish him the best of luck and will almost certainly be purchasing one when they're ready.
I thought so, and I'm glad that he listened when I said it was a mistake not to go the the 4770 w/GPU v. the 4755(or was it 50?) that they had originally been planning on using...

I'll probably pickup one simply because I'm sure that they'll provide full source, which would also make an Android device from them interesting as well as long as it had gaming controls and wasn't ginormous, i.e. >7".

[EDIT]
Dingoo, only got it last year and pretty much only use it for it's FM radio now... which reminds me I need to start looking for a smalling radio that also has AM... ----tons of em with FM but none w/ AM that I've found yet or at least in a reasonable size...
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:30:51 pm by cutterjohn »

abhoriel

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 02:07:05 pm »
I'm in two minds about the android vs linux thing. Android gives us a massive basis of ready to use software, but it may or may not work on the device, but it doesnt require much development effort for it to be useful.

A linux based device needs massive development effort to port things over to it, but if this is done well, it could potentially outshine android devices, with more efficient emulators and software which is hand customised for the device.

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 03:23:01 pm »
I'm in two minds about the android vs linux thing. Android gives us a massive basis of ready to use software, but it may or may not work on the device, but it doesnt require much development effort for it to be useful.

A linux based device needs massive development effort to port things over to it, but if this is done well, it could potentially outshine android devices, with more efficient emulators and software which is hand customised for the device.
I mentioned Android as in a post on another forum they mentioned that they were thinking about an Android device for some point later in the future, i.e. it's just a thought ATM...

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 03:48:15 pm »
If it was using Android, it'd be just yet another crappy chinese android device, and it would have little interest compared to JXD devices. Plus, don't expect the various emulators for android to work on a jz4770-based android device. The emulators are generally written in C, so they would need to be recompiled. Finally, Android requires a touchscreen.

jimclarson

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 07:59:58 pm »
my personal thoughts on this is that when it comes out im pretty much certain im gonna get one. reason i say this is for starters, it can perfectly emulate yoshi's island for snes right outof the box, that in itself has me pretty much sold, that and the fact that it has a real dpad, something jxd and yinlips cant seem to understand is better then a seperated dpad, that in yinlips case isnt even connected underneath like a dpad should be >:( dpads are supposed to be one solid peice of plastic that tilts to press either one or two ruber contact pads [eeerrrrg frustration]

also bear in mind all the android consoles so far have some amount of sound lag with the emulators, which for me is unnacceptable. not to mention poor build quality where buttons tend to rattle, that to me is unnacceptable.

also seing the way the dingoo accelled in it's homebrew and userbase makes me want to get this even more. plus the fact that the code will be optimized specificly for this platform, and it has the power to do better emulation makes me want to buy this thing. plus when i think about all the hard work that ddu put into creating something for the community that we can all enjoy, it makes me want to buy it even more, outof apreciation for his efforts and consideration. but thats just me.

SuperL

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 09:33:17 pm »
The screen is practically microscopic compared to the latest of the Android devices (the cheaper JXD5110 most damningly of all), and it's not even a touch screen. This is not a point in GCW's favor.

The real deal-breakers will be if it has real analog, and the ability to do N64 emulation. Failure will put the ball back in JXD and Yinlips' court.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:35:10 pm by SuperL »

jimclarson

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 10:47:02 pm »
@ SuperL:
3.5 inches is microscopic? to me that seems a pretty decent size, plus have you ever noticed when your playing a handheld game system your eyes tend to zoom/focus in on the screen? i personaly feel 3.5 inches will be just fine :)

Post a new topic