Author Topic: GCW Zero  (Read 1451704 times)

Alien Grey

Re: GCW Zero
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2012, 07:27:38 pm »
Why would I want to buy a console with less storage space and a resolution of 320 x240?  ???
Because 400x240 is pretty useless. Don't you guys have issues with all the SDL games rendering at the top-left corner? ;)

Yes but that doesnt mean that we've got to be stuck forever with resolution 320 x 240. It's going to be a powerfull device so why would you want to run PSX and N64 at this low resolution?
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2012, 07:44:38 pm »
Yes but that doesnt mean that we've got to be stuck forever with resolution 320 x 240. It's going to be a powerfull device so why would you want to run PSX and N64 at this low resolution?

The PSX/N64 games generally render in 320x240.

Alien Grey

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2012, 08:02:44 pm »

The PSX/N64 games generally render in 320x240.

The N64 can also render at 640 x 480. How much work would it take for a software developer to upscale the resolution from 320 x 240 to 640 x 480?
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

CREATICA

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2012, 08:06:03 pm »
Why would I want to buy a console with less storage space and a resolution of 320 x240?  ???
Because 400x240 is pretty useless. Don't you guys have issues with all the SDL games rendering at the top-left corner? ;)

ok. Maybe 400x240 but 640x480 is the least you can ask for in 2012. I mean, C'mon. We're talking about a a tiny screen... it can't be that expensive.
The Gwc is clearly overpriced and it comes too late (like one or two years late or so). That's my two cents.

I agree with Frank_fjs in everything (as always). This man has to be a genius or something, Hey Frank do you recommend me any of the current android devices? I'm not convinced with what we got so far but If you recommend me something I can mull over it. You're a trustworthy user.

My advice: Wait till december to buy a handheld console. The times are changing so fast in this turf war... and what is a brand new novelty one month is completely obsolete the next. Otherwise, The current psx and N64 emulation is far from straightforward.

I think this is going to be vaporware.

Alien Grey

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2012, 08:13:30 pm »
Resolution 400 x 240 is perfect for CPS2 that renders at 384 x 224. That's probably why DT wanted to use this resolution to "perfectly" emulate CPS2.

hi-ban

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2012, 08:32:16 pm »
CPS1/CPS2 are systems with a catalog of around 90 games (the sum of both catalogs). On the other side, NES, SNES, SMS, and SMD have thousands (probably tens of thousands) of games in their catalogs.

And if you use a good scaling, CPS games look flawless on a 320x240 screen (CPS games were always displayed in 4:3 screens, in arcade cabinets).

Alien Grey

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2012, 08:47:15 pm »
It doesn't matter if it looks flawless at 320 x 240. My point it that I don't want a new console with a lower resolution and I don't think that I'm the only one.   ;D

I'm not going to complain about the price because I think that's the price you pay for an open-source console.  ;)

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2012, 02:24:53 am »
Has Justin (of DDUSA) come right out anywhere and said this is his project?  If so, I missed that, but it does indeed sound like the project that he had the post about here before...

I'm pretty darn sure that this is his project, in fact I'd be willing to put money on it. If it is his project, I'd also be willing to wager that Dingoo Tech are involved somewhere along the line - why wouldn't they be, he's always had a relationship with them.

Also, if it is him, I find it odd that he hasn't come out with it from the start, but he did develop a bit of a bad reputation towards the end of DDUSA's life, so perhaps he just wants a fresh start.

I think this will be his 2nd or 3rd attempt at this, so I hope he takes some of the advice being offered here (drop the price, finalise the hardware, get the thing completed before trying to sell it on a pre-order basis) as thus far he seems to be making the same mistakes over and over again.

Orion4874

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2012, 03:16:19 am »
Yeah, it's Justin, he came out about it on the Pandora forums. It does seem like he's trying to leave the whole DDUSA thing in the past though.

quartercast

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2012, 05:23:28 am »
We're having a little debate on screen choice for the Zero over at OP forums.

I created a poll in case anyone's interested in participating.
http://poll.pollcode.com/hecm

Only a few choices, but there's a big difference I suppose?

Alien Grey

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2012, 08:07:37 am »
We're having a little debate on screen choice for the Zero over at OP forums.

I created a poll in case anyone's interested in participating.
http://poll.pollcode.com/hecm

Only a few choices, but there's a big difference I suppose?

Thanks for letting us know about the poll. Looks like the 640 x 480 is the way to go. I think that it's also important to say that everyone can participate and that you don't have to be a member of the OP forum.  ;)

@Frank_fjs

Please stop comparing it with the Android devices. You've got to know that it's impossible to lower the price on an open-source console because all the money has to come from the hardware. This means of course that it should be an open-source console only because if it isn't than you're right and the new Android devices should be the better choice.

gcw

• http://GCW-Zero.com
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2012, 05:56:28 pm »
The device is being made but not with Dingoo-Tech involved in any shape or form. They are not involved in this or any other attempt I have ever made to get a cosole made to include the 4755 which came to fruition but not a design I was pleased with.

Several people to include Harteex received the 4755 console with a psp look alike case
the design and software just never came together and I lost heart and desire for the project.

I tried to influence the A330 and A380 they made without much success mind you and at that point made up my mind forward I would not attempt a venture for a new device with them or assist them with any new device as a retailer or otherwise.

As for distancing myself from DDUSA yes I'm moving from the retail side of things for numerous reasons for almost two years any spare time I had I dedicated it to the community as a retailer trying to help anyway I could.

In the last year I have had numerous fraud claims of people using other people?s credit cards to make purchases that caused a major hit. But any refunds that have been requested have been given to include the caanoo TV out cable debacle when I couldn't source them even from GPH.

I gave refunds to some people and even sent the TV out cable free of charge and I believe you got a refund and the cable Frank_fjs. Even Zear who ordered the cable and is a trusted porter/dev here received his cable so did all others that complained in forums about not getting it quickly.

Some refunds may have taken a little while but it was from personal funds not store funds as the fraud depleted almost all funds from store funds. But all refunds are made or are made in timely manner if a request is ever made for them I'm out here for the community as a supporter and always have been and always will be.

I love open source devices the community who support them and retro gaming and will support it in any way I can and I think with the GCW Zero I'm doing it in the best way I can.

zear

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2012, 06:01:22 pm »
I gave refunds to some people and even sent the TV out cable free of charge and I believe you got a refund and the cable Frank_fjs. Even Zear who ordered the cable and is a trusted porter/dev here received his cable so did all others that complained in forums about not getting it quickly.
Yes, this is true. It took a couple of months for DDUSA to deliver my caanoo tv-cable, but we were in contact all the time, with the ability to get a refund at any moment. However I decided to wait for the cable and I finally got it.

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2012, 06:21:07 pm »
DDUSA: sorry to hear about the fraud problems, but yep that would be a VERY good reason to dump retail.

mid-July - August still looking likely?  (I'm one of the 14 who had put $65 for the 512MB model.)

Screen: yeah, I'm kind of in the I'd like a higher res screen camp, but you know 800x480 is probably easier to source as many phones use that res OTOH that might also make them difficult to source but I suspect not at this time as many phones are moving on to even higher res.

[EDIT]
...and just because some of you people are purely emulator phreaks, I'm not and wouldn't mind having a higher resolution to say possibly getting a tinyx server or something going and running various other linux games/apps... ost really should NOT be a problem, the JXD s5110(~$20 or so cheaper) came with an 800x480 resitivelike touch screen and the Yinlips YDP G18A comes with a 5pt. capacitive 800x480n touchscreen for about $20 more!

Since I'm not going to bother creating an openpandora(christ! I could buy a decent netbook or ultrabook for what they want for one of those) HDMI is clearly a better choice as most displays still only support HDMI, composite, and component.

uSD:  Toshiba IIRC came up with a way to "re-inforce" uSD ports making them as reliable as the larger xUSB ports.  No idea if they ever got into production, but... OTOH yeah miniUSB will take more abuse and general use than most uSD ports.
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 06:54:20 pm by cutterjohn »

cruelcynic (OP)

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2012, 06:46:22 pm »
@GCW I think the zero will be perfect for the open console community. I can't wait to see more of it and get mine.

jimclarson

« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2012, 07:42:48 pm »
to be perfectly honest i dont want a resistive touch screen or a touch screen period, the only stuff i do with this sortof thing anyways is retro gameing and none of those consoles use a touch screen for anything [except light gun games or mario paint but its not fun imo playing duck hunt with a mouse pointer] i actualy was thrilled to have a screen protector on the thing and knowing that there doing away with that saddens me [touch screen equals no screen protector] i agree with the person above who said if they keep tryna change it this thing will never get off the ground, and frankly i just want a game console that can emulate early 80s to mid 90s consoles perfectly and do it in a nice simple package that works, which seems to be what this gcw console is about, the idea of a dingoo with better controls/ergonomics, larger/better screen, good battery life, and more powerful than a pandora in my opinion is exactly what we as a console emulator and homebrew enthusiest comunity are asking for, i say we let justin do his thing  and we stop asking for alterations to what is being created so that the final product actualy comes to fruition. i fulkl hearedly concur with what someone earlier posted basicly stateing we are getting something better than the caanoo for less of the price. i personaly thought it was fine as it was except maybe some better speakers and make sure the anologue stick was true anologue [which has been clarified it will be]. i dont want this being like last time when everybody was demanding changes for better hardware and then the thing never finalised. and honestly wtf are we gonna use a touch screen for anyways, i want a plastic screen protector overtop my lcd :( [i hate exposed delicate hardware]

and as far as the size of the lcd goes, i held my frend's original game park 32 the other day with it's 3.5 inch diagonal lcd and honestly its a pretty decent sized lcd, and when you scale a 3:4 ratio screen to fit with side borders on a psp screen, its 3.5 inches as well, so for thos with hacked psps [i have one] load up a 3:4 ratio screen useing an emulator and thats how big the gcw zero's screen as well any other 3.5 inch 3:4 screen is. i frankly dont want anything to fowl up this console's development and id rather it be a dingoo with beefed up specs comparable to the pandora with the ability to all 90s games at perfect performance. i do not want a touch screen as i honestly dislike them and chances are if i had a caanoo id never use it anyways because  repeted touching damages and scuffs the lcd screen overtime as is evident by my nintendo ds. i say if you want to play touch games, buy an android device. also the reason i wont buy an android device for gameing is because i looked up gameplay of earthbound [snes] on the experia play and there were a bunch of screechy sound glitches, so thats out for me.

ok im done rambling now..

« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2012, 07:57:45 pm »
Interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this. I'll get one if it comes out (and if reviews are good).

Jutleys

« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2012, 08:11:51 pm »
I agree it's best to keep the screen we have already on proto type and get the device out on time why change the screen if its just fine and delay the release date by then people will loose interest it makes perfect sense.

gcw

• http://GCW-Zero.com
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2012, 09:22:51 pm »
We will move forward with current screen and optimize the OS emulators/Apps/Games to there full potential and hopefully soon have another video with game play with games mention and video and audio playability.

As for special edition all will be labeled GCW-Zero Special addition on front and back of console and possible signature of all key devs on back.

Once website goes up in next week or so we will also have a sneak peak section with chat segments pictures and video of the progress for those that get the special edition.

To answer your question yes the console has an ear bud socket and console will come with very good quality ear buds...  Yes we are getting better quality speakers sourced right now so on release the analog nub will be separately mapped and the Zero will have better speakers.

None of this has come easy decision wise or been taken lightly my main goal is make a superb gaming console at a decent price with main features everyone has been wanting has and always will be. After alot of thought messing with what we already have minus the fine tuning would take time and money also drive up the cost to unacceptable level.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:43:30 pm by gcw »

Reesy

« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2012, 11:06:49 pm »
my main goal is make a superb gaming console at a decent price with main features everyone has been wanting has and always will be.

I like the sound of that, good luck.   Will it support LCD Vsync? Or will it suffer with video tearing like the Dingoo?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic