Author Topic: D-Pad and Other Hardware Improvements  (Read 31796 times)

Juan

Re: D-Pad and Other Hardware Improvements
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 02:02:41 am »
Note that the "replacement D-Pad which is being made slightly smaller and appears to resolve the issue" is not the same d-pad which the OP is talking about (which is in prototype stage).
The "replacement D-Pad which is being made slightly smaller and appears to resolve the issue" is the one already present in the Thinkgeek units, which is a batch made after the cause of the d-pad issue was spotted.
I'm sorry, but I don't see where are you going with that.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 11:18:55 am »
Note that the "replacement D-Pad which is being made slightly smaller and appears to resolve the issue" is not the same d-pad which the OP is talking about (which is in prototype stage).
The "replacement D-Pad which is being made slightly smaller and appears to resolve the issue" is the one already present in the Thinkgeek units, which is a batch made after the cause of the d-pad issue was spotted.
I'm sorry, but I don't see where are you going with that.
He states correctly that units should already contain new D-pads. The changes are mainly related to production tolerances. Gmay3 works on an entirely different project.

Arrakis

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 12:48:37 pm »
Thanks for the responses guys! Just wanted to follow up on some of the similar questions.

Right now these new parts are one off's, experimental only, and being internally tested. We are still working on them as prototypes and are not sure when or if they could be produced in mass quantity. This post was mainly to gauge public interest in what we're working on as there are large costs and logistics associated with getting parts like these produced in mass quantities.

The software developers have done amazing things so far with the Zero! We're hoping to open this device up with some sweet hardware mods too so keep leaving cool and interesting ideas that you may have about hardware mods in this post, I know you guys will not disappoint!  ;D

Personally I think a little qwerty keyboard a la xbox 360 controller would be just the bees knees.  ;)

The new analogue stick looks great.  If these were to make it into a final product, could you give a ball park estimate on when it would go on sale?

gmay3 (OP)

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 02:07:46 pm »
As a ballpark estimate these would likely be available for purchase mid to late 2014.
Designer - GCW Dev Team

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »
would attempting to install these void any warranty?

Juan

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 11:09:27 pm »
He states correctly that units should already contain new D-pads. The changes are mainly related to production tolerances. Gmay3 works on an entirely different project.
This lead me to believe we were talking about the same thing:

I?m gmay3, the mechanical designer for GCW, and I think now is a good time to reveal some exciting developments I?ve been working on for the last few months to the D-pad, analog stick, ABXY, and L and R buttons.

We listened to your requests and suggestions and we came up with ways to improve the performance of the current D-pad design.

So if it's not too much to ask I'd like someone to expand a little on how this "entirely different project" will be treated. Thanks in advance.

Nebuleon

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 12:15:52 am »
So I'd like it if someone I can hold accountable for his or her words can expand a little on whether this "entirely different project" will be treated as an integral part of the GCW Zero project, counting as the resolution of Justin's d-pad promise instead of the improved tolerance d-pad discussed in #21 and being retroactively mailed to everyone who backed and received a first-batch product for free. Thanks in advance.
Is this what you really mean?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:20:05 am by Nebuleon »

alyinsanfran

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 12:19:20 am »
I'm loathe to try the silicon grease 'solution' because I suspect it's a stop-gap (and temporary) measure at best

tcdev, I got some grease, this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D89GH4

I applied it back in November. It took less than 5 minutes, just a teeny tiny amount and it totally cured the creaking my DPad was making. Transformed my Zero in to a tight little unit that hits every direction I ask it to. I haven't needed to reapply it yet. For $3 it was a no brainer.

I'm not telling you what to do, but considering how cheap and easy the fix was for me, I hate to see you consign yours to the round file!

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 08:03:43 pm »
I have to agree with alyinsanfran on this. A very small amount and my sticky dpad was no longer an issue. Never had to reapply in the time I had my zero. Considering the mostly positive results I read about & how cheap it is, you really have nothing to lose by trying.

133794m3r

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 10:03:17 am »
Purchase? These should be made available for purchase by ks/SE people as they helped get this thing off the ground in the first place and the least you can do is send these off to people who backed this project with the shitty controls that were put in there. It feels nothing like a real console, it feels like crap when I'm playing. Nothing feels natural at all.

Wild Penguin

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 05:58:45 pm »
I just want to state that the silicon grease worked wonders for me. The transition from straight -> diagonal ->  straight  (includes transition from straight left -> straight down) was impossible to do reliably originally, but works now without any issues. I used a non-foog-grade grease that I found at a local hardware store, because I didn't want to wait for the delivery by mail. Hope it is not poisonous  ;D.

(seriously: the amount needed was in the order of 10s of ?grams, so I do believe I'm safe)

Also, people who are complaining: please do read the KS FAQ. It is not a store. If you want something ready and 100% working, go to a store and buy something that is 100% ready, tested and reviewed. Also, from the nature of the project, it should have been clear (it was to me when I backed) that this is somewhat of an experimental project, with only a few people (no large company) behind it. So, minor issues like this could have been expected to occur from the beginning. Give some slack to the people behind the project.

For the nature of the project and price of the backup amount I think it is an excellent project that has delivered so far.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:17:22 pm by Wild Penguin »
My Hocoslamfy highscore: 107. Also try Freedroid for GCW0!

Senor Quack

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 12:56:43 am »
Gmay3, these look awesome.. For what it's worth, my Kickstarter unit hasn't needed any silicone grease, but some would probably help on the DPAD and the A button.

For anyone looking for a cheap quick way to get some (more than enough for probably 50 GCW Zero applications for like $1 or $2), go to a car parts store and pick up a mini packet of "Spark Plug Boot Grease" they keep by the cash registers, it's just silicone grease.  Sometimes it's called dielectric grease.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:01:19 am by Senor Quack »

Thraka

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 06:25:35 am »
I used some silicon grease from the automotive store and it made my DPAD 400x better. However, it still is imperfect. I think it has to do with the way it rocks from the center, or the design of the buttons underneath, I'm unsure.

If I hold DOWN on the DAPD, I can easily lean left or right and rock the entire DPAD to sometimes trigger a diagonal button press, even though my thumb is only focused on the DOWN part. It's very annoying. I only want a diagonal to trigger if my thumb is actually in that region.

Will your new DPADs fix this issue?

alexei_gp

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 02:23:05 am »
any official stattement about the release of the new dpad and buttons for the gcw zero?I dont want to send my gcw zero to repairs or warranty,i want to fix by myself.

RupeeClock

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 05:35:38 pm »
I have given my GCW Zero a silicone grease treatment, which has definitely improved the d-pad and button responsiveness, but the diagonals remain to be a bit of an issue.
The diagonals are still too sensitive, for example playing a game of Tetris and you press down to drop the block, and instead find it careening off to the right.

So yeah, still very much interested in the prospect of replacement d-pad/buttons, even if I have to install it myself!

Dnilo

• Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 01:27:35 pm »
I'm thinking about buying this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PSP-Vita-PlayStation-Portable-D-Pad-Button-/181404088053?pt=UK_VG_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2a3c86b6f5

and this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PSP-Vita-PlayStation-Portable-Action-ABXY-Buttons-/171323563752

After searching for similar size membranes to replace the zero one for a while, I got a PS Vita and the size is almost the same for the D-Pad and exactly the same for the buttons, I think both can be replaced with the clicky ones from the vita, which have the best feeling/feedback among all the video game controllers IMHO.

EDIT: My bad, this doesn't work with the zero, since this membrane doesn't have the 'Poly-dome' to complete the circuit.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:50:33 pm by Dnilo »

wepecko

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 01:44:05 pm »
for those who would be interested, these are inside:

I took the sharp knife and scraped the layer of color on the sides of dpad cross. it's definitely a lot better now
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:48:46 pm by wepecko »

Xaijiqq

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 02:14:02 pm »
nice images :) exactly what sort of improvements did the scraping do and what did you mean by layer of color, can you elaborate further on this?

wepecko

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2014, 02:26:43 pm »
It helps to get rid off squeaks and Dpad stuttering.
All the plastic covers including buttons are sprayed with a thin "color layer" (black/white units). this layer can be scraped off but be aware that underlying plastic is white color even for black units, so the marks could be visible. With white units you don't even notice...

Xaijiqq

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2014, 04:05:00 pm »
ah ok thanks.  i'll be sure and tell 'em large marge sent ya!  ;)

Post a new topic
Post a new topic