• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: D-Pad and Other Hardware Improvements  (Read 43385 times)

gmay3 (OP)

D-Pad and Other Hardware Improvements
« on: February 14, 2014, 07:52:03 pm »
I?m gmay3, the mechanical designer for GCW, and I think now is a good time to reveal some exciting developments I?ve been working on for the last few months to the D-pad, analog stick, ABXY, and L and R buttons.

We listened to your requests and suggestions and we came up with ways to improve the performance of the current D-pad design. With this new prototype D-pad, which is still undergoing testing, we are planning to gauge public interest.

I wanted to improve the outside dimensions by making them smaller so that there is no risk of any friction building up limiting range of motion. In testing so far I have found that this D-pad extremely comfortable, and you?re able to perform endless swoops for fighters so get ready to HADOUKEN all day long. Overall it feels so much smoother and solid.

I also added some features to the 3d model so that the D-pad makes full contact with the silicon pad below, further ensuring that each direction keypress isn?t missed.

I have slightly increased the amount of curve on the surface of the D-pad so that transitions from one direction to the other feels more fluid.

Another thing I?ve been working on is coming up with new analog stick covers, so that we?re able to suit all your gaming needs and can customize your gaming experience with the GCW-Zero. You can check out a new concave analog stick cover I?ve been working on in the pictures.

We think that you will really enjoy all the new improvements we?re bringing to the GCW-Zero both hardware and software so stay tuned for more future updates!

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20210307183950/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSFltx_ck5Y" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSFltx_ck5Y</a>

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:18:20 pm by gmay3 »
Designer - GCW Dev Team

HaDAk

Re: D-Pad and Other Hardware Improvements
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 08:29:09 pm »
Oh, I do like these. I would love to be a guinea pig/beta tester.

Yertle

• !
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:02:00 pm »
Would these updates be made for new batches of the GCW Zero or would it be for the next generation? Just wondering.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:34:55 pm »
Think about them as replacement parts (for now).

lemmywinks

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 09:42:28 pm »
Would these updates be made for new batches of the GCW Zero or would it be for the next generation? Just wondering.

Are there any new batches?
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 09:45:06 pm »

Are there any new batches?
Just the Thinkgeek batch currently.

Lhadatt

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 11:21:59 pm »
Neat, thanks for posting this.  I have some questions:

- Could we get a look at the d-pad itself, and next to the current d-pad for comparison?
- Will these new parts be painted plastic, or cast in multiple colors?  I know casting in colored plastic might cost more, but it might avoid the paint chipping/wear issues.
- It might be too early to ask, but how much would these cost?
- Need a tester? :)  (Seriously though -- and this is more of a suggestion -- I recommend making sure your test group includes some hardcore fighting game fans.  They'll put the new parts through their paces.)

TheChristoph

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 01:50:43 am »
Very promising! I'm looking forward to this very much. I have squeaky, rubbing d-pad and buttons and the L and R button gaps concern me, so I am very hopeful these get released sooner than later.

shockdesign

• shockdesign
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 02:02:32 am »
Looking great, can't wait to see what they feel like.

Xaijiqq

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 02:07:32 am »
so get ready to HADOUKEN all day long

this needs to be used in every infomercial right away

Reds

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 05:45:34 am »
Looks pretty interesting. I hope the shoulder buttons aren't altered too much in feel, since I think that the PSP-style blocks are a lot more reliable than something you'd find on, say, the DS series.

Unfortunately I don't trust myself to open up my GCW without damaging it so I'd be interested to hear what possible plans would be available for anybody who wants to give their current GCW an update. Looking forward to hearing some more news about it.

133794m3r

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 09:37:29 am »
these changes better be made available for people who've already bought the thing, it's the _least_ the company to do for people since they've already lied to us about the speakers, the chinesed battery etc.

btnheazy03

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 09:45:47 am »
i hope there's a way for Zero owners to upgrade their existing hardware.

sad1942

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 09:47:23 am »
Congratulations for the new improvements in the GCW-ZERO. ;D

In the future, Will it be possible to buy the new replacement parts in Dragonbox Europe?
Are there any new batches going to Dragonbox? I?m waiting to buy one.

Thank?s.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:49:45 am by sad1942 »

RupeeClock

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 06:41:29 pm »
Replacement d-pad, face and shoulder buttons are exactly what my Kickstarter model needs, a little modding and it could make my device the dream I want it to be. :)
Right now the diagonals on my d-pad are terrible, if for example you want to do a slide whilst running in a Mega Man game, or do a running slide in Mario, it just ain't possible.
Then there's that the A button on my system is unusually stiff even after using it for weeks, although I haven't tried a silicone grease application. It's stiffest when I'm holding down the B button already.
The shoulder buttons aren't an issue, it's just one is slightly looser than the other, no biggie.

There are plenty of games I can enjoy no problem with my GCW Zero the way it is now, but I want to be able to enjoy more without a hitch.

tcdev

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 01:45:44 pm »
I would sincerely hope (and expect) that these will indeed be available to existing owners and, furthermore, shipped at no cost. I backed the KS campaign in good faith and would expect the same courtesy in return .

FTR, my GCW-Zero has been sitting in the drawer for the last few months because it is simply unplayable. It's loaded up with pretty much every emulator available, but sadly the only game that is remotely playable is Frogger on the Megadrive. With a completely useless D-PAD and 'A' button, there's just no reason to even try any more, until a fix is available.

I'm loathe to try the silicon grease 'solution' because I suspect it's a stop-gap (and temporary) measure at best and besides, I paid for a working device that hasn't been delivered yet. Under Australian consumer law, we'd all have our money back by now. I'd still like to think that it will be rectified. Aside from the controls and the primitive and ugly UI it's still a nice device!

ker

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 09:04:46 am »
I tried grease "solution" this week. (Antes = before, Despu?s = after ;-)

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20210307183950/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0EsO1IPsBI" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0EsO1IPsBI</a>

gmay3 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 11:07:14 pm »
Thanks for the responses guys! Just wanted to follow up on some of the similar questions.

Right now these new parts are one off's, experimental only, and being internally tested. We are still working on them as prototypes and are not sure when or if they could be produced in mass quantity. This post was mainly to gauge public interest in what we're working on as there are large costs and logistics associated with getting parts like these produced in mass quantities.

The software developers have done amazing things so far with the Zero! We're hoping to open this device up with some sweet hardware mods too so keep leaving cool and interesting ideas that you may have about hardware mods in this post, I know you guys will not disappoint!  ;D

Personally I think a little qwerty keyboard a la xbox 360 controller would be just the bees knees.  ;)

Designer - GCW Dev Team

Juan

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 01:01:57 am »
I would sincerely hope (and expect) that these will indeed be available to existing owners and, furthermore, shipped at no cost. I backed the KS campaign in good faith and would expect the same courtesy in return .

It was promised

We have become aware of the issue that some people have experienced with their GCW Zero units. The problem appears to be the d-pad or face buttons refusing to retract to the released position (or as some call it "sticking"). We have noticed that with the extended use of the d-pad/buttons the plastic seems to wear and in most cases it resolves the issue.
However if you have experienced this problem and if it remains unacceptable or unbearable; we will offer you a replacement D-Pad which is being made slightly smaller and appears to resolve the issue   If you choose warranty repair/replacement all you would need to do is mail back the console itself (no need to send other accessories you received), securely packed to prevent damage, back to us. The address to ship is the same as the return address on the package your console was sent in.
If you would like a replacement D-Pad mailed to you when we have them from the factory we will make a post once we get them with a web form for you to fill out with your address so we can mail the replacement.

We would like to emphasize that we have tested all the units for QA here in central USA and we have not experienced this issue. While at this time the origin for this issue is inconclusive, we hypothesize it could be a result of a difference in tolerance during the production process or painting process of the plastic cases d-pad. We are greatly sorry for any inconvenience caused by this issue.

hi-ban

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 01:09:12 am »
Note that the "replacement D-Pad which is being made slightly smaller and appears to resolve the issue" is not the same d-pad which the OP is talking about (which is in prototype stage).
The "replacement D-Pad which is being made slightly smaller and appears to resolve the issue" is the one already present in the Thinkgeek units, which is a batch made after the cause of the d-pad issue was spotted.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic