Author Topic: D-Pad and buttons sticking issue  (Read 89471 times)

zear

Re: D-Pad and buttons sticking issue
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 03:46:11 pm »
Did the franken-zeros not have this problem?
Neither of my prototype units has this problem (I have both a white and a black one).
I don't want to spread rumors, but so far everything hints to the thicker paint on the d-pad in the black units being the issue here.

AztroZombie (OP)

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 03:47:37 pm »

Would it be possible for one to do that without taking the d-pad out of the case? You'd need something thin and sharp, and I'm thinking possibly a drafting knife would fix it:

I wouldn't attempt without opening the case. There was a lot of paint shavings and I wouldn't want those inside the device. Also you could damage the membrane under the d-pad.

relay01

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 03:47:49 pm »
Did the franken-zeros not have this problem?
Neither of my prototype units has this problem (I have both white and black one).
I don't want to spread rumors, but so far everything hints to the thicker paint on the d-pad in the black units being the issue here.

Myself, and I believe Yertle have white units... same issue.

relay01

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:00 pm »

Would it be possible for one to do that without taking the d-pad out of the case? You'd need something thin and sharp, and I'm thinking possibly a drafting knife would fix it:

I wouldn't attempt without opening the case. There was a lot of paint shavings and I wouldn't want those inside the device. Also you could damage the membrane under the d-pad.

Like I said, working the d-pad from side to side, upside down may allow you to get at enough of the paint without opening the unit.  I'd say just open the damn thing but I certainly don't blame anyone for being afraid to.  I've hacked many a game console and my day so know what to expect.

Since we already have an intrusive fix that seems to work, I'm going to try to resolve this issue without opening my unit today at lunch.  I'll take video of the process and if the results prove positive, those uncomfortable with opening their gcw0 will have a means of doing so. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:54:46 pm by relay01 »

zear

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 03:51:06 pm »
Myself, and I believe Yertle have white units... same issue.
Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Skyline969

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 03:57:18 pm »

Like I said, working the d-pad from side to side, upside down may allow you to get at enough of the paint without opening the unit.  I'd say just open the damn thing but I certainly don't blame anyone for being afraid to.  I've hacked many a game console and my day so know what to expect.

Ok, so what about shaving it off while holding the console face-down in the air so that the shavings don't fall into the console itself? I'm just really worried when it comes to opening up a device that I waited almost a year for, especially if it voids the warranty should I screw up once I'm inside.

relay01

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 03:59:47 pm »
That's what I'll try and do.

Though seriously, anyone with a perfectly working d-pad who can take close-up pictures of it would be helpful.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:05:20 pm by relay01 »

ruffnutts

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 04:14:18 pm »
If it happens to mine I will use some sort of grease  - tiniest bit though.. there's no way I will start shaving shit off it lol

gcw

• http://GCW-Zero.com
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 04:26:12 pm »
We have become aware of the issue that some people have experienced with their GCW Zero units. The problem appears to be the d-pad or face buttons refusing to retract to the released position (or as some call it "sticking"). We have noticed that with the extended use of the d-pad/buttons the plastic seems to wear and in most cases it resolves the issue.
However if you have experienced this problem and if it remains unacceptable or unbearable; we will offer you a replacement D-Pad which is being made slightly smaller and appears to resolve the issue   If you choose warranty repair/replacement all you would need to do is mail back the console itself (no need to send other accessories you received), securely packed to prevent damage, back to us. The address to ship is the same as the return address on the package your console was sent in.
If you would like a replacement D-Pad mailed to you when we have them from the factory we will make a post once we get them with a web form for you to fill out with your address so we can mail the replacement.

We would like to emphasize that we have tested all the units for QA here in central USA and we have not experienced this issue. While at this time the origin for this issue is inconclusive, we hypothesize it could be a result of a difference in tolerance during the production process or painting process of the plastic cases d-pad. We are greatly sorry for any inconvenience caused by this issue.

PS: As suggested by Raygan mabe the oil/grease used on tuba slides could be used not sure as no one has tried it...

ruffnutts

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 04:32:51 pm »
PS: As suggested by Raygan mabe the oil/grease used on tuba slides could be used not sure as no one has tried it..

This is what I would do.. it worked on other devices I own  ;)

Skyline969

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2013, 04:34:47 pm »
PS: As suggested by Raygan mabe the oil/grease used on tuba slides could be used not sure as no one has tried it..

This is what I would do.. it worked on other devices I own  ;)

Wouldn't that get all over your fingers while you're playing though? I've got no idea when it comes to that stuff.

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2013, 04:41:35 pm »
So I assume that when regular production units start rolling out, they'll have the smaller d-pad?

AztroZombie (OP)

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2013, 04:43:24 pm »
PS: As suggested by Raygan mabe the oil/grease used on tuba slides could be used not sure as no one has tried it...

Watch out, there's a silicon/rubber membrane under that d-pad. We have no idea what a foreign grease or oil will do to it. Could cause it to break down over time.

Good news about the replacement d-pads though!  ;D

BAFelton

• Open Consoles
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2013, 04:49:30 pm »
A few pics of the proto
 if you need more, tell me, it's open atm :

AztroZombie (OP)

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2013, 04:53:01 pm »
A few pics of the proto
 if you need more, tell me, it's open atm

It doesn't look painted, am I wrong?

BAFelton

• Open Consoles
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2013, 04:53:19 pm »
no it's not

Yrx

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2013, 05:32:07 pm »
I think Raygan mentioned it and then I mentioned the part about tubas, so I wanted to clarify here; I would NOT recommend the stuff that you get at the music store. White lithium grease (from a hardware or auto parts store) would be the way to go if you wanted to attempt this, and you wouldn't want to use more than a tiny bit. If you used more than a negligible amount, it would get all over your fingers. A little of this stuff goes a long way.

In other news, my d pad is definitely better than it was out of the box. It still creaks a bit, but it doesn't get stuck anymore. My buttons are also pretty tight still. I might scrape off the paint in the future if it's an issue, doesn't hurt that it looks pretty snazzy. To be honest I haven't been playing with it a whole lot since the emulators are still fairly immature (scaling, sound issues, button mapping, etc).

relay01

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2013, 08:52:27 pm »
Hey All,
I got a non-intrusive fix for the sticky d-pad issue!
It works on my sticky/creaky unit and it will probably work on others.

Use a tiny bit of a silicon (or possibly lithium) based lubricant around the edges of the d-pad.  Some research I did suggests that for plastic on plastic friction, synthetic lubricants work best and are generally electrical component safe.

Using a toothpick or paperclip, apply the lubricant to the grooves of the d-pad where it meets the cut-out.  Hold the d-pad up, then apply the lubricant around the bottom and edges, than repeat for all directions.  Be sure to get some in the grooves around the entire d-pad.

Once done, take a napkin and wipe the excess off.  I just put the napkin between my thumb and the d-pad and worked every direction of the d-pad and around the cut-out.

Worked like a charm, though I don't know if I'll have to do this again sometime in the future.  It's quick, cheap, easy, and non-intrusive so I don't mind having to do it again.

I can't recommend a particular brand for the job as the particular lubricant I used is apparently used for centrifuges.  It said right on the back that it was food-grade and silicon based.

Skyline969

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2013, 09:19:56 pm »
Hey All,
I got a non-intrusive fix for the sticky d-pad issue!
It works on my sticky/creaky unit and it will probably work on others.

Use a tiny bit of a silicon (or possibly lithium) based lubricant around the edges of the d-pad.  Some research I did suggests that for plastic on plastic friction, synthetic lubricants work best and are generally electrical component safe.

Using a toothpick or paperclip, apply the lubricant to the grooves of the d-pad where it meets the cut-out.  Hold the d-pad up, then apply the lubricant around the bottom and edges, than repeat for all directions.  Be sure to get some in the grooves around the entire d-pad.

Once done, take a napkin and wipe the excess off.  I just put the napkin between my thumb and the d-pad and worked every direction of the d-pad and around the cut-out.

Worked like a charm, though I don't know if I'll have to do this again sometime in the future.  It's quick, cheap, easy, and non-intrusive so I don't mind having to do it again.

I can't recommend a particular brand for the job as the particular lubricant I used is apparently used for centrifuges.  It said right on the back that it was food-grade and silicon based.

As someone who doesn't know a thing about different lubricants, will that possibly corrode anything if it's silicon based? Or is the whole point of it being silicon based that it will not do that? It definitely sounds safer than shaving plastic off the d-pad, but how often would you have to apply the lubricant? I guess only time will tell.

alyinsanfran

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2013, 10:05:09 pm »
I can't believe how restrained everyone's been. Not one lubricant joke.