• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: D-Pad and buttons sticking issue  (Read 115462 times)

Mountainmohawk

Re: D-Pad and buttons sticking issue
« Reply #320 on: January 21, 2015, 04:08:15 pm »
Yeah I noticed it was just the plastic covering the screen. But two more questions:

The dpad seems kinda mushy and not responsive unless you apply a decent amount of pressure. (Ie there have been times where I pushed it and it doesn't recognize. Same thing with the left shoulder)

And what's the deal with the analog nub spinning? Seems like a weird design choice haha.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #321 on: January 21, 2015, 04:36:38 pm »
Yeah I noticed it was just the plastic covering the screen. But two more questions:

The dpad seems kinda mushy and not responsive unless you apply a decent amount of pressure. (Ie there have been times where I pushed it and it doesn't recognize. Same thing with the left shoulder)

And what's the deal with the analog nub spinning? Seems like a weird design choice haha.
The nub itself doesn't spin, just the cap. It means you can replace it (maybe even with a different design).

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #322 on: January 21, 2015, 06:55:17 pm »
A spinning cap makes it more comfortable when rubbing your thumb on it. I've seen the design before.

I've noticed some people here talking about Thinkgeek. Quite awhile ago I did get one from them, though the dpad sticked because it was from the old batch. Then, I got a replacement (didn't bother with the dmg dpad mod), and I got one from the new batch. No sticking, buttons are responsive, and all is well.

Perhaps Thinkgeek has both the old batch and the new one with the fixed dpad? Justin should have recalled the old batch when he fixed the dpads.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:57:38 pm by xXFrostXx »
Dingoonity is the place to be!

Merlkir

« Reply #323 on: January 21, 2015, 10:50:02 pm »
My unit bought from Geeks With Wives has a sticking B button.

Still looking for someone based in Europe who'd replace the buttons+membrane for me! (paid of course)

wepecko

« Reply #324 on: January 22, 2015, 09:28:12 am »
My unit bought from Geeks With Wives has a sticking B button.

Still looking for someone based in Europe who'd replace the buttons+membrane for me! (paid of course)

Merlkir, you don't need to replace rubber membrane. just follow one of the tutorials posted here on board to change the buttons....

fiver

« Reply #325 on: January 23, 2015, 04:02:11 am »
Bought from ThinkGeek a few weeks ago. Down and left is squeaky and somewhat sticky. I read that continued usage would iron that out, but it's not happening fast enough for me. I think I'm going to try silicone oil. Squirting anything in there makes me feel a bit queasy, but it seems like my best bet.

CalicoSkies

« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2015, 04:55:37 am »
I bought one from ThinkGeek on January 23rd, and it arrived on the 31st.  The Y button is somewhat crooked and occasionally sticks a little, but generally it seems to work.  I'm not sure if I should RMA & exchange my unit, but based on what I see on this forum, it seems like button issues are common with these.  Since my Y button seems to generally work, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle to exchange it.

CalicoSkies

« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2015, 04:57:26 am »
and here is the result

Are those A, B, X, and Y buttons from an X-Box 360 controller?  That looks really nice.  Are they the same size as the original buttons?

wepecko

« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2015, 07:25:26 am »
and here is the result

Are those A, B, X, and Y buttons from an X-Box 360 controller?  That looks really nice.  Are they the same size as the original buttons?

Here:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/index.php?topic=7758.msg107353.msg#107353

Jester82

« Reply #329 on: February 10, 2015, 01:11:15 am »
and here is the result

Here:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/index.php?topic=7758.msg107353.msg#107353

Looks great, im thinking of trying this!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:55:17 am by Jester82 »

Jester82

« Reply #330 on: February 10, 2015, 04:11:48 am »
I just got to thinking...  Anyone know anybody with a 3D printer?  If we could have someone make dmg style dpads and nds buttons with the proper height and fit for the gcw. I'd be willing to pay for them. It's my only complaint with the device so far.

fiver

« Reply #331 on: February 10, 2015, 06:12:19 am »
I bought one from ThinkGeek on January 23rd, and it arrived on the 31st.  The Y button is somewhat crooked and occasionally sticks a little, but generally it seems to work.  I'm not sure if I should RMA & exchange my unit, but based on what I see on this forum, it seems like button issues are common with these.  Since my Y button seems to generally work, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle to exchange it.

Dielectric silicone grease. You want something with a high viscosity...so, grease, not oil. I got a tube of it at the hardware store for $10. Then you apply it to the problem areas of your GCW (using a toothpick or similar) and wipe away the excess.

Jester82

« Reply #332 on: February 11, 2015, 10:51:01 pm »
So yeah after playing with my zero for awhile I decided im not happy with it. The dpad and buttons are awful, and apon opening  my zero I found my battery was soldered to the board. So I didn't want to risk messing it up.  Plus getting that power switch out looked tough. Oh and I got a giant piece of dust or debris under the screen protector already! So im thinking of getting a gpd g5a.

Aeter

« Reply #333 on: February 12, 2015, 01:19:05 am »
So yeah after playing with my zero for awhile I decided im not happy with it. The dpad and buttons are awful, and apon opening  my zero I found my battery was soldered to the board. So I didn't want to risk messing it up.  Plus getting that power switch out looked tough. Oh and I got a giant piece of dust or debris under the screen protector already! So im thinking of getting a gpd g5a.
All easy to fix problems.
Just use silicone grease for the buttons and remove the screen protector.
~cucullus non facit monachum~

Jester82

« Reply #334 on: February 12, 2015, 02:02:29 am »
All easy to fix problems.
Just use silicone grease for the buttons and remove the screen protector.

I did grease the buttons and dpad.  But the problem is the dpad diagonals, the dpad is too shallow . And I  meant  under the plastic bezel  for the dust.. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:06:13 am by Jester82 »

wepecko

« Reply #335 on: April 08, 2015, 05:16:03 pm »
Hi, I'm back with yet another DPad mod.
After few weeks of testing I found out that my previous work wasn't so great. So I tried once again and this time I focused on details. I've used a bearing ball to get perfect and smooth movement and precise diagonals. So far the best feel on controls I've had on any portable...
Just get a Gameboy DPad and try for yourself.

tekkaman

« Reply #336 on: April 08, 2015, 06:17:02 pm »
I don't know who tested the controls before production or if it was tested at all. I think it would've been easy to change the Dpad design before production.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #337 on: April 08, 2015, 08:44:21 pm »
I had a prototype and had no problems with the controls. I tested and used that one extensively and documented it on my YouTube channel. The other winners of the FrankenZeros didn't report any issues either.

I also ordered two SE models and one Kickstarter unit, so four in total. I don't use any of them on a regular basis but I took a KS unit to PAX South and the few friends who tried it didn't have any problems with the controls. For the SEs, one is in the original box and I haven't done anything but turned it on to make sure it worked. The other was gifted to a friend on the other side of the country, and he did report eventually having a squeaky, sticky D-Pad and buttons.

My point being, the evidence is on my channel, I don't think the prototypes ever had problems. I've never experienced the sticky button/d-pad problem first hand, but there's been enough reported issues to know that a problem does exist. I have to ask though, has anyone made a video showing the problem? If there is, I've never seen it. I find it hard to believe that no one has documented it on a device that includes an on-screen hardware test right out of the box.

Yertle

• !
« Reply #338 on: April 08, 2015, 10:48:56 pm »
Here is a video of a sticky Y button.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgkxd0mFTWo

Scoobysnaxx

« Reply #339 on: April 08, 2015, 11:22:34 pm »
I made a DPAD video of my kick starter unit (was replaced with a new unit by Justin)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o473J4Gg-Is