Author Topic: [How To] Getting Started Developing  (Read 2735 times)

JackOfDawn (OP)

• Song of Storm
[How To] Getting Started Developing
« on: February 17, 2016, 02:50:12 am »
Hey there!

So I got a GCW Zero a little before Christmas and I am loving it so far. Before this I had a GP2X and my brother had a GP32. Pretty much since I first got a GP2X I have wanted to try developing for it but at the time I got it I was inexperienced and the online community for it was sort of dead.

Now I have more experience and I wanted to get into developing for the GCW Zero. Lurking around here and there I found bits and pieces of how to build your own project and get it running on the device. Some where easy to find, some where hidden in comments. So I wanted to make a complete tutorial that put all of the pieces together. And here it is:
http://songofstorm.com/tutorial-gcw-zero/

It documents the process of getting the toolchain, setting up the compiler, building the project, putting it on the GCW and getting it running if it doesn't run. This is the first tutorial I have written, so feedback is greatly appreciated. This is also my first post and I hope to get more involved with this community. Thanks!

thefifthgiant

Re: [How To] Getting Started Developing
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 04:05:53 am »
Looks good, I'm sure this will be much appreciated. Welcome to the forum!

congusbongus

• congusbongusgames
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:30:06 am »
Nice tutorial. Personally I think using cmake is easier than configuring Code::Blocks because all you have to do is point it at the toolchain file (i.e. cmake -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE="/opt/gcw0-toolchain/usr/share/buildroot/toolchainfile.cmake"). Then you can use cmake to generate Code::Blocks project files, or any other IDE you are using.

David Knight

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 07:56:33 pm »
Anyone thinking about starting to develop I highly recommend it  ;D

JackOfDawn (OP)

• Song of Storm
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:05:03 pm »
Thanks for the positive feedback!

Nice tutorial. Personally I think using cmake is easier than configuring Code::Blocks because all you have to do is point it at the toolchain file (i.e. cmake -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE="/opt/gcw0-toolchain/usr/share/buildroot/toolchainfile.cmake"). Then you can use cmake to generate Code::Blocks project files, or any other IDE you are using.

I'll take a look into this. I haven't had much experience with cmake, but it sounds helpful.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic