• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: [GCW Zero] SUPER MOD CUSTOM With IPS Screen  (Read 40174 times)

superfenix2020 (OP)

Re: [GCW Zero] MOD CUSTOM
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 02:05:26 pm »
[UPDATED 20-01-2016]

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:35:59 am by superfenix2020 »

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 09:25:16 am »
Except that it is not used for any emulator and any game
Which I hope to change very soon, just waiting for new FW to be released ;)

I love your mod, though. It looks really awesome!

New FW? Yes please! :o :-*. Maybe TV Out+USB pads and sleep function?
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

Quickman

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 06:53:54 pm »

@TimeDevouncer
 I think @pcercuei discussed in another thread that "tv out & usb" would be the focus for the firmware release AFTER this coming one. However not for this next firmware release. From what it's been described as, seems like an incredible amount of work,  but definitely cool to know  it's still in the works ! ;)

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2016, 01:46:56 pm »

@TimeDevouncer
 I think @pcercuei discussed in another thread that "tv out & usb" would be the focus for the firmware release AFTER this coming one. However not for this next firmware release. From what it's been described as, seems like an incredible amount of work,  but definitely cool to know  it's still in the works ! ;)

Yeah! You're right, I remember something like that :-[.

But...I would love to have the TV-Out and sleep function :-*, maybe with the next-next firmware ;D
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

arovane

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2016, 05:03:52 pm »
@superfenix2020

Thanks to your inspirational pictures, I too underwent some heavy moddings :) Here is the result in the attachment.

The bigger buttons and new pad are definitely a vast improvement. Now the console finally respond more or less as it should. The skin is all right but I'm planning on making my own, I think this one take too much attention while playing, it's hard to focus on the game (By the way if anyone has some new skins of they own please post them here). I also added 2 more stereo buffer inside, which add some bass. Great result, although I didn't dare to make holes on the back of the console so the sound isn't as good as it should.

Anyway thanks for the insights :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:15:22 am by arovane »

Quickman

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2016, 07:39:04 pm »
@arovane  did you only increase the size of the buttons?
Curious if you upgraded the D pad?
 With the buttons being bigger, do they feel more cramped or crammed together making it hard to play, or is it easier?

Awesome work!

arovane

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2016, 08:50:18 pm »
@Quickman, thanks.

Yes I've also upgraded the D-pad. This is actually one of the new D-pad sold on the GCW store. Thing is I bought a red one and a white one and both of them get dirty extremely quickly so I painted one of them in black. Strange that they don't make them in black, cause other than this paint problem, the feel is perfect, 10 times better than the original.

The sound was also an issue and installing 2 additional buffers inside is giving a bit more deapth to the sound which is good (although it was tricky to find space in this tiny thing :))

The Wii U buttons are so much better to play with in my opinion. Smoother, like a real controller, much better to play fighters, platformers, shooters etc. The only problem remaining now is the actual size of the console and how it feels when you're holding it, but I guess that's a problem you have to accept if you really want a portable console.

And yeah I also have to find/make a better skin :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:16:07 am by arovane »

superfenix2020 (OP)

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2016, 10:17:57 am »
Last night I created a new Skin NES for my GCW-Zero. ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:36:11 am by superfenix2020 »

Aeter

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2016, 01:37:01 pm »
Looking pretty cool as usual, wish I had a guy like you living here so I could get some cool mods and less clicky buttons.
Unfortunately, I'm not that good with modding and soldering and stuff.
~cucullus non facit monachum~

superfenix2020 (OP)

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2016, 05:48:48 pm »
updated:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:36:18 am by superfenix2020 »

zerodeefex

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2016, 01:43:14 am »
I went ahead and ordered the D Pad and buttons from the shape ways store. I'm thinking of gutting a Wii u pro controller for the buttons to compare.

Does anyone know where to get a replacement screen cover? Mine had an unfortunate accident and I'd like one without the scratches.

Quickman

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2016, 01:47:56 am »
I went ahead and ordered the D Pad and buttons from the shape ways store. I'm thinking of gutting a Wii u pro controller for the buttons to compare.

Does anyone know where to get a replacement screen cover? Mine had an unfortunate accident and I'd like one without the scratches.

Please let us know your opinions on when you get the new D pads and buttons! Every bit of information helps! Also you can get a new bezel/screen from Ithic.com @ithic.com :)

Aeter

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2016, 02:56:07 am »

Please let us know your opinions on when you get the new D pads and buttons! Every bit of information helps! Also you can get a new bezel/screen from Ithic.com @ithic.com :)

Ithic.com is out of the air so you can't get a bezel. Don't know if they're gone permanently.

ithic.com

• Open Source Gaming Shop
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2016, 01:10:32 pm »

Ithic.com is out of the air so you can't get a bezel. Don't know if they're gone permanently.

We'll be putting up a new site shortly.  Not gone permanently, just getting ready for the Open Pyra and a web makeover.

Aeter

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2016, 03:33:50 pm »

We'll be putting up a new site shortly.  Not gone permanently, just getting ready for the Open Pyra and a web makeover.
Alright, that's good to hear. The default under construction page of the hosting service scared me for a bit.
Good to see you're just revamping the website.

Also, do you have any news on when you will receive GCW Zeros again, or if you will get any at all?

Swarmadd

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2016, 11:42:14 am »
superfenix2020, thanks a lot ! You inspired me  8)

It works very very great ! I've used a reamer for the action buttons, you too, no ?!

Now I can AT LAST play Hyper Street Fighter II on a handheld without losing all the time (Still lose every now and then, of course ^^ )

Quickman

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2016, 07:46:04 pm »
superfenix2020, thanks a lot ! You inspired me  8)

It works very very great ! I've used a reamer for the action buttons, you too, no ?!

Now I can AT LAST play Hyper Street Fighter II on a handheld without losing all the time (Still lose every now and then, of course ^^ )
@Swarmadd
Wow! Awesome job bud! Looks incredible!
Are the buttons and D-pad feeling "too big" or "just right"?

arovane

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2016, 10:23:11 am »
I've done the same thing on my GCW and can confirm that it is much, much better with the Wii U buttons and D-pad. I would advise anyone who has a little bit of time to do the same. I used to leave my GCW on the side because of the poor controls, and now I'm playing with it all the time. That's how good this mod is.

I'm now struggling to find a way to get good sound out of the console, as good as the 3DS or the GPD XD. Any advice would be great :)

Swarmadd

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2016, 04:39:33 pm »
Quote from: Quickman
Wow! Awesome job bud! Looks incredible!
Are the buttons and D-pad feeling "too big" or "just right"?

Thanks ! Sorry, I hadn't seen that someone answered :) About how it feels, I'd say just right (for me ! ) Low and close to each other action buttons, and wiggly (dmg style) and soft touch dpad. Thats a great advantage when doing it yourself, it can be "tailor-made" to your own needs !

Quote from: arovane
I've done the same thing on my GCW and can confirm that it is much, much better with the Wii U buttons and D-pad. I would advise anyone who has a little bit of time to do the same. I used to leave my GCW on the side because of the poor controls, and now I'm playing with it all the time. That's how good this mod is.

I'm now struggling to find a way to get good sound out of the console, as good as the 3DS or the GPD XD. Any advice would be great :)

Yes, this is very great, especially for the dpad, but anyway I'm also very happy about how the action buttons turned out ! (More like the Caanoo, so I prefer)

About the sound, I'm wondering the same thing :) But we must keep in mind that good sound doesn't come out only because of the speakers but also how the case is made around them (I'm pretty sure something is missing concerning the case to achieve better sound). Anyway I haven't thought much about it yet but I'll give it a try, maybe :)

arovane

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2016, 07:42:12 pm »
The speakers in the Zero are utter crap. Like really, really bad. They are too small and of very low chinese quality. I tried to couple them with some others bigger stronger speakers that I placed in the back of the console, on the top, but without much success as I didn't want to make holes in the backside of the shell.
I have to find speakers that deliver better sound but that fits the size of the original ones. I don't know if that exists though. I'm thinking about opening up my GPD XD to see how they achieved such a great sound, but I'm afraid I'm going to destroy it, I heard it was very fragile (chinese stuff, again...)

Post a new topic