Author Topic: FreeCiv Port  (Read 5048 times)

Dittizardichu (OP)

FreeCiv Port
« on: October 20, 2018, 05:52:47 am »
I know the community has dwindled drastically in the past year or so for the GCW Zero, but I was wondering if someone would port FreeCiv to the GCW Zero. The game is completely open source and is probably as close to a portable Civilization game that I am going to get on this device.

Freeciv.org

https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv

phlogios

Re: FreeCiv Port
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 08:15:59 am »
Dittizardichu,
Interesting challenge!
I have never played FreeCiv but I'm curious, how would the user interface look on a 320x240 display? Would it be playable?
Also, does the game require a mouse?
I think a good start for porting this game would be to sketch mockups for how the game would be controlled.

Dittizardichu (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 12:31:37 am »
Dittizardichu,
Interesting challenge!
I have never played FreeCiv but I'm curious, how would the user interface look on a 320x240 display? Would it be playable?
Also, does the game require a mouse?
I think a good start for porting this game would be to sketch mockups for how the game would be controlled.

Honestly I'm not sure why I didn't think of that initially. Firstly, the UI. Though small, perhaps you could render it in 640x480 and force a downscale so the UI isn't so largely rendered to match the pixels. I think you could map key combos to hotkeys for the UI so that their wasn't a major need to look directly at the UI (if the player knew what they needed). Second, the mouse. Based on the way the game plays, I'm assuming a joystick wouldn't be necessary for normal game play, so perhaps the joystick could be mapped as a mouse if possible. I don't know all the limitations of the GCW but one would hope that mapping a joystick as a mouse of sorts would be feasible. I can get a few mockups put together soon for a sample, but I hope there is some way to port this game.

Senor Quack

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 09:05:25 pm »
Have you tried the Civ II PS1 port under pcsx4all?  If it doesn't use the common 320x240 PS1 resolution, the text isn't going to be readable, but there's work being done on IPU screen scaling support if that is the case.

Of course, there's also Civilization 1 for SNES
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:08:23 pm by Senor Quack »

Post a new topic