Author Topic: Controller friendly roguelike?  (Read 6724 times)

David Knight (OP)

Controller friendly roguelike?
« on: January 08, 2016, 11:57:41 am »
I'm a big fan of roguelike rpg's and have played many variants over the years. The only problem is that they generally require a keyboard to play making them difficult to port to consoles. The only exception I am aware of is Powder but this version is old and I'd much rather be playing Nethack, Dungeon Crawl Stone soup or perhaps Cataclysm.

Given the huge range of open source titles available in this genre I figured that this issue would have been rectified by now but I cannot find any other examples. Does anyone know of any roguelikes with controller support, or alternatively can anyone suggest any way to do this? I would imagine a pressing 'L' and getting a range of exploration-relevant commands, pressing 'R' and getting attack commands etc. The key thing is that the controls should not get in the way of the immersion if at all possible.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:01:15 pm by David Knight »

pcercuei

• My devblog
Re: Controller friendly roguelike?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 06:40:11 pm »
Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon is one example.

zear

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:45:53 pm »
The only exception I am aware of is Powder but this version is old
AFAIK my GCW0 port is still the latest version of Powder available :)

As for Nethack, I have a GCW0 friendly build of it, but I can't release it, as the code I used requires data files with uncertain copyright status (and won't run with vanilla Nethack data).

If you think you could help me verifying the copyright status (it requires some datafile extracting skills), I'll gladly share my port's code with you ;)

Here's a bunch of screenshots to tempt you ;)

David Knight (OP)

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 07:03:23 pm »
If it's the copyright status of the tile set then what about using an ascii tile set instead? I'm old skool  and prefer it ;D

zear

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 11:39:47 am »
If it's the copyright status of the tile set then what about using an ascii tile set instead? I'm old skool  and prefer it ;D
It's the issue of the entirety of the game data, including non-graphics. Origin of the data changes is unknown and the Nethack license doesn't allow for that.

I need to decompress the data, see what was changed, then either replicate the changes with the original data, or modify the source code to use vanilla data, based on the analysis of changes.

Fluxchar

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 11:38:46 am »
Zear, those screens you posted, that is nethack? looks good.

zear

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:03:22 pm »
Zear, those screens you posted, that is nethack? looks good.
That is nethack :)

Fluxchar

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 12:10:47 pm »
and there is no way to play it on my gcw yet ? :(

David Knight (OP)

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 07:44:25 am »
and there is no way to play it on my gcw yet ? :(

There are licensing issues currently, so the game cannot legally be distributed yet.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic