Author Topic: Catsfc Development Help Requested (DSTWO/DSTWO+ Flashcart)  (Read 2703 times)

DeadSkullzJr (OP)

Catsfc Development Help Requested (DSTWO/DSTWO+ Flashcart)
« on: October 03, 2017, 12:07:27 pm »
Hello everyone. I recently bought myself a SuperCard DSTWO+ (4 in 1) flashcart for my Nintendo DSi/3DS. One of the many reasons I bought this flashcart was due to its compatibly with SNES emulation. There are a couple SNES emulators that run on the DSTWO flashcart, NDSSFC and Catsfc. Catsfc is by far the best SNES emulator for the DSTWO flashcart, however the emulator hasn't been updated in years. So I decided why not try to get a team of helpers to get the emulator updated. I initially planned on making this request on the official SuperCard forums however registrations have been disabled for the time being. So I have come here in need of some coders and testers to help me out.

If you wish to help me get Catsfc revived and updated, join this Discord link I made. You DO NOT need to hunt for any links for Catsfc, I already provided the links in the server.
Discord Server Link:
https://discord.gg/VbNhmf8

NOTE FOR USERS WHO DO NOT OWN A SUPERCARD DSTWO/DSTWO+ FLASHCART:
You DO NOT require a SuperCard DSTWO/DSTWO+ flashcart to help, I personally have this flashcart as stated above so I can do tests for you if need be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catsfc Information:

CATSFC version 1.36, 2013-06-16 (The latest version is 1.36.1)

A Super Nintendo emulator for the SuperCard DSTWO.

Based on:

Snes9x 1.43, by the Snes9x team (with research by the ZSNES folks, anomie, zsKnight, etc.)
NDSSFC 1.06, by the Supercard team (porting to the MIPS processor)
BAGSFC, by BassAceGold (improving over NDSSFC)
CATSFC, by ShadauxCat and Nebuleon (improving over BAGSFC)

More information is provided here:
https://github.com/ShadauxCat/CATSFC
http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-11194-1-1.html
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:14:33 pm by DeadSkullzJr »

Aeter

Re: Catsfc Development Help Requested (DSTWO/DSTWO+ Flashcart)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 03:11:44 am »
Have you tried asking at the gbatemp forums?
I think you're actually hoping for Nebuleon to respond to this, but I think CATSFC is already pushing the limits of SNES emulation on the DSTWO.
So I wouldn't get my hopes up that this will happen or if it can actually be improved.

Also think there were some hacky Chinese updates made for this or that could be for tempgba, but those work for some games and break others so not ideal either.
~cucullus non facit monachum~

DeadSkullzJr (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:58:57 am »
Have you tried asking at the gbatemp forums?
I think you're actually hoping for Nebuleon to respond to this, but I think CATSFC is already pushing the limits of SNES emulation on the DSTWO.
So I wouldn't get my hopes up that this will happen or if it can actually be improved.

Also think there were some hacky Chinese updates made for this or that could be for tempgba, but those work for some games and break others so not ideal either.
I have already put this request on GBAtemp and the Snes9x forums. So far no luck yet.

Aeter

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 12:06:23 pm »
I think it is not gonna get much better anyway since the device is the bottleneck not the card.
I think no one will invest in an emulator for a niche section that can only be slightly improved if at all.

DeadSkullzJr (OP)

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 12:15:56 pm »
I think it is not gonna get much better anyway since the device is the bottleneck not the card.
I think no one will invest in an emulator for a niche section that can only be slightly improved if at all.
Maybe we can make the emulator utilize the flashcart's CPU and the 3DS's GPU somehow.

Aeter

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 05:33:10 am »
Maybe we can make the emulator utilize the flashcart's CPU and the 3DS's GPU somehow.
You say "we" but who's we?
Are you programming as well?
And what you want is only possible for the 3DS, so that leaves you with the DSTWO+ only.
And I believe it has two chips. CATSFC only works on the DS part which runs in DS mode, unable to access the 3DS, so that's very likely never going to happen.

And FYI CATSFC already uses the flashcarts CPU otherwise all flashcarts would be equally able to run SNES emulation that well in DS mode.

If you want a good SNES emulator for your 3DS use some of the available hax or flashcarts and you'll access to better SNES emulation already.
Perhaps you should take a look at gbatemp's 3DS hacking subforum. A lot of information for you there.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:38:06 am by Aeter »

gameblabla

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 07:38:55 pm »
Best thing that could happen is a port of Snes9X 1.39 which has faster SuperFX emulation.
SnesEX 1.43 is already too much for the DSTWO hardware... and there's no much you could do about it to update it,
hence why no updates.
And Nebuleon is done with Snes9X and i don't even think he programs much anymore, much like myself actually...

Post a new topic
Post a new topic