Author Topic: 4 Open Source Linux Games Possible to port to gcw zero?  (Read 4053 times)

computerguy (OP)

4 Open Source Linux Games Possible to port to gcw zero?
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:05:47 pm »
Hi i was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing if any of the following could be ported games to the zero:

All are open source with linux versions with low system requirements

1. Alien Arena -  A fast paced fun free fps   http://red.planetarena.org/index.html

2. Teeworlds - "Teeworlds is a free online multiplayer game, available for all major operating systems. Battle with up to 16 players in a variety of game modes, including Team Deathmatch and Capture The Flag. You can even design your own maps!"   https://www.teeworlds.com/?page=news

3.Warsow - Another free fun fast paced fps with cell shading  http://www.warsow.net/about

4. Warzone 2100  "You command the forces of ?The Project? in a battle to rebuild the world after mankind has almost been destroyed by nuclear missiles. The game offers campaign, multi-player and single-player skirmish modes, and an extensive tech tree."  http://sourceforge.net/projects/warzone2100/

alexandrevicenzi

• My GitHub
Re: 4 Open Source Linux Games Possible to port to gcw zero?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 05:15:23 am »
Hi,

1. As readme says, OpenGL and OpenAL are required. It will be harder I think.
2. Is SDL I think, there's some Lua code? Need to check that client-server code, could be easy or not.
3. Where's the source?
4. There's some OpenGL code, GCW has OpenGL ES. It's possible I think, but not easy. Need to check where is used OpenGL.

I just took a (very) quick look and I found this things.

computerguy (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:37:27 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply as far as the source for warsow i clicked on download then under other downloads if you scroll a little down the web page it says "Warsow 1.51 SDK (source code + tools)"

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:59:50 pm »
OpenArena has a GLES port, I think, and we have OpenAL, so it should be portable.

zear

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 05:41:44 pm »
OpenArena has a GLES port, I think, and we have OpenAL, so it should be portable.
OpenArena is already ported for a year now (not available outside the dev team) - but the performance is very poor so it was never released. There is even a screenshot of it in this news article: http://www.gcw-zero.com/news.php?id=1\

I think you might be confusing it with AlienArena though.

In any case, all these FPS games are heavy on 3D calculations and after a long and painful porting process they'd be very sluggish on GCW Zero. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

computerguy (OP)

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 05:57:56 pm »
In your opinion zear is it worth even trying to port many/any 3d games to the zero? More specifically do you have any examples which would show the limits of the 3d capabilites that the zero could run?

zear

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 06:02:13 pm »
In your opinion zear is it worth even trying to port many/any 3d games to the zero?
It's not so much about porting GLES games but rather about adapting the GUI and controls or porting exotic libraries these games tend to use. There's a lot of work needed for a proper game port, so I think it's a waste of time if the game is clearly too heavy to run on our GPU.

But if the game uses GLES and you know it can be easily ported - go for it.

More specifically do you have any examples which would show the limits of the 3d capabilites that the zero could run?
Yes, Quake, Quake II, Quake III Arena, OpenArena, Hurrican - when using the GLES cores, they all run really sluggish. Our GPU is simply not powerful enough.

computerguy (OP)

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 06:25:45 pm »
ok thank you for the answers

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 07:02:27 pm »
The GPU is OKish, but it's designed for GLES2 apps and not GL apps crappily ported to GLES2. The bottleneck is not the processing power of the GPU but the slow memory; the games that stream a lot of textures and geometry won't run well.

Gab1975

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 10:03:42 pm »
The Vivante GC860 is a single-core GPU, obviously his performances can't be exciting... but it runs at 444 MHz (IIRC overclocked to 500 MHz on GCW Zero), the fillrate is more than enough for the low-resolution of the "Zero"... as Pcercuei wrote, probably the bottleneck is the memory bandwidth and the "unoptimized" code... an example can be Quake I, the current game-engine porting is troubled from several slowdowns* (this game ran perfectly with a "prehistoric" 3DFX Voodoo Graphics).

*Probably a single shader it's a "hindrance" to render a complex scene, but this should not be a problem with old games like Quake I, Quake II, Hexen II, etc...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:08:13 pm by Gab1975 »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic