Author Topic: Unified emulator menu buttons  (Read 25217 times)

Gab1975

Re: Unified emulator menu buttons
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2014, 06:58:30 pm »
... so, for the moment, the solution of two methods seems to be the more workable option... one standard for all emulators ("power switch" founded) and one different based on need.
In this way every emulator will have a universal method and a specific method to enter in the menu... ;)

ker

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2014, 07:55:20 pm »
Select+Start conflicts with every system which uses a Start and/or Select button.

?_?

Beerman1138

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2014, 08:36:36 pm »
Select+Start conflicts with every system which uses a Start and/or Select button.

?_?

I second this.  I don't see the conflict, save for the one game you mention.  99% of all games don't use Start+Select. 

Nebuleon

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2014, 08:44:52 pm »
Fixed. If a console uses Start or Select, you can't have a conflict ;)

Ok, so "Power and whatever makes sense on the emulated system or a 3-button combination" seems to be the new trend now, with L+R+A or L+R+Start being the combinations of choice.

I will say this for both of them: Start is much lower than R on the console, and A is within hand's reach, with the hands rested against the side of the console. I have trouble reaching both R and Start with one hand, and it's rather painful. I prefer L+R+A. (You guys should try reaching for the third button in your propositions on your GCW Zero for real.)

hi-ban

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2014, 08:47:47 pm »
Well, every time i am watching game intros in Pocketsnes and i press Select+Start to bring the menu, Start is passed to the game and the intro is jumped. That's a conflict for me.
(conflict = unintended in-game action triggered by the menu key combo)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:51:10 pm by hi-ban »

Nebuleon

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2014, 09:01:25 pm »
Ah. Well the way I use "conflict" for Start+Select is "press these two buttons and instead of an in-game action you get the menu". It's two sides of the same coin, really.

hi-ban

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2014, 09:21:49 pm »
yes, both are "conflicts"

Nebuleon

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2014, 09:45:50 pm »
But then if we want to have no conflicts under any definition of "conflict", we can actually only use Power for all emulators, and L or R for Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES, Sega Game Gear and the like. Because using L+R+A or L+R+Start will conflict with PS1 games and SNES games. (Not with GB/GBC/GG, because you'd press A last and none of L+R+A would ever be sent to the game.)

hi-ban

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2014, 10:03:01 pm »
Or make it optional in the emulator to select the menu shortcut.

Nebuleon

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2014, 11:04:47 pm »
Each emulator would have to implement a hotkey thing inside its menu, so it's duplicating effort. (Only ReGBA and maybe 1 or 2 other programs has/have this already.) I'd actually support a home button redefinition utility if it came down to that, and those who oppose Power could set it to L+R+Start, L+R+Select, L+Start, R+Start or L+R+A at their convenience.

RodrigoCard

• Mac Joystick Apps
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2014, 04:01:37 am »
(...)I have trouble reaching both R and Start with one hand, and it's rather painful. (...)

You must have very tiny hands Nebuleon  ;D
(just kidding)

Nebuleon

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2014, 04:04:44 am »
I do have tiny hands.

gustavolatil

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2014, 04:10:07 am »

slapstick

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2014, 12:52:11 pm »
I think each emulator must have it own combination!
Picodrive - Select - is very good for menu!
ReGBA - Y - is very good!
Why we need this stupid unification??? Some guys can not remember combinations? RTFM!
And what about a screenshot?
Power+Y - I will always take a screenshot of emulator menu???

I kind of agree. I don't think there is any harm in having a unique combination for each emulator, as long as the power switch will always work as a backup.

Optimus

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2014, 04:11:20 pm »
I'd definitely go for start + select.

The power switch I don't like for this function. Everytime I have to use it, even for turning volume, I have to firmly grasp the gcw0 with my left hand, and put force with right on the switch, few times I was almost lost the GCW0 from my hands, almost fell on the floor.

The L+R and others, are main buttons in games. I mean, imagine I am playing let's say metal slug, and I want to go to the menu to change an option or save state. By pressing all these buttons, I also told the game to throw grenades, I lost some of my grenades.

But with start + select, the worst thing that usually happens is that I accidentally paused/unpaused the game.

I think it's the best option.

Optimus

« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2014, 04:17:22 pm »
Actually another stupid conflict happens with GCW0. The select button is too close to the four buttons. Many times when I play a game, my thumb accidentally clicks the select button and the menu comes up. Not very very big thing, but this was something unexpected I never thought about, and tells me if I ever design a console to have more of a separation between the buttons.

zear

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2014, 04:27:51 pm »
SELECT is a microswitch and you can't accidently press it - it requires more force than the front buttons to trigger it. It has never happened to me to accidently press SELECT, so I guess you must be pressing the buttons really hard :)
The location of SELECT close to the front buttons is perfect, because it can be used as another gaming button. If it was farther away, the player would need to raise his thumb from the front buttons and move it downwards and that would make SELECT totally useless as a gaming key.

Awakened

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2014, 07:56:03 pm »
I've accidentally pressed Select once or twice in Genesis Plus GX, which exits back to Gmenu2x  :-\. I've done it a few times in SMW too, bringing out my reserve power up when I didn't need it.

Nebuleon

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2014, 08:20:23 pm »
I did press Select along with B sometimes, but I guess I started holding the console slightly different since then: I started grabbing the sides PSP-style, then changing how I press the face buttons - more towards the inside of the circle than the outside.

And yes, pressing Select first in Start+Select on PocketSNES running Super Mario World will bring out your reserve item as well.

RodrigoCard

• Mac Joystick Apps
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2014, 05:42:55 am »
I do have tiny hands.

I was about to say Nebuleon should be a freaking cool T-Rex :D

Post a new topic
Post a new topic