• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Skinning Gmenu  (Read 2974 times)

shirohagen (OP)

Skinning Gmenu
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:57:04 pm »
Hi guys

I'm no coder, but I am a graphic designer, so I'd like to contribute by maybe doing some work with Gmenu skins. I know that Gmenu has appeared on many of our open handhelds since the GP2X, so I was wondering where good resources might be found to understand how Gmenu works generally, and then also with regard to how to tweak the configuration and build skins/icon sets etc.

Is it worth me disassembling Gmenu skins I find online for other devices? Are Gmenu skins and resources from other platforms compatible with the Zero?

Any useful places you guys can point me to?

?

Deagle275

Re: Skinning Gmenu
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 04:50:06 pm »
Good luck, and remember , the Gcw has a 320x240 screen .

hi-ban

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:16:31 pm »
the info in the dingoo section should be useful: http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-themes/

shirohagen (OP)

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:06:51 pm »
Thanks guys!

zear

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:30:42 am »
I have just one request - if it is your intention for us to include your skins with the GCW firmware, you need to have full copyright to them. Ie. you can't use random sprites/images you have found on the net. Otherwise we won't be able to include it.

gustavolatil

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 03:56:32 am »
is there a tutorial of how you can do the themes, i would love to try and make one!

shirohagen (OP)

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:42:39 pm »
Hey zear, thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't even thought of that, but I'd be honoured to get a skin into the official firmware. Will definitely be mindful of the IP issue. It's my intention to create new assets, after all, that's the fun part - but of course there will be likenesses of consoles etc, just originally created.

zear

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 04:13:41 pm »
but of course there will be likenesses of consoles etc, just originally created.
Hmm.. that probably could not be accepted, since they still depict copyrighted items. It's like if you drew a logo of Coca-Cola - it's your work, but it's still their copyrighted logo.

shirohagen (OP)

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 03:55:38 pm »
I meant likenesses of the consoles themselves, not specifically trademarked logos. Pretty much every emulator I'm currently using has an icon which is a picture of the system it emulates. That's sort of the point of an icon, otherwise it is totally arbitrary. It has to stand as visual shorthand for the function.

Anyway, I have an idea which I'm going to enjoy playing with, and it isn't totally literal, so let's wait to see if it makes it past 'legal'!

Thanks for the advice!