• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Mupen64plus technical preview  (Read 45998 times)

David Knight

Re: Mupen64plus technical preview
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2015, 07:18:29 pm »
This information was taken directly from the Wikipedia entry. Apparently it was possible to play Perfect Dark with two controllers using both analogue sticks and Z buttons.

In any case clearly it's the hardest control option to configure and given it's rare use I don't think it'll make the cut, it was really only there for completeness.

I haven't studied the mupen64 code base in any detail yet but I would like to get an idea on what people want before I invest more hours of my life coding features that may not be necessary  ;)

If anyone has any ideas or artwork they wish to contribute then please let me know.

Eg Given the long load times necessary a loading screen would be nice, preferably with space for a progress bar at the bottom. If anyone fancies designing one and developers (mainly Nebuleon of course!) approve then it will be included as long as they use a suitable license.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:25:29 pm by David Knight »

thefifthgiant

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2015, 07:27:35 pm »
This information was taken directly from the Wikipedia entry. Apparently it was possible to play Perfect Dark with two controllers using both analogue sticks and Z buttons.

I've tried it, and it is actually quite fun, expect for the weird looks you get trying to play!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:56:34 pm by thefifthgiant »

Quickman

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2015, 07:37:23 pm »

I've tried it, and it is actually quite fun, expect for the weird looks you get trying to play!
If you Google search dual analog Nintendo 64 controller, you will see that somebody actually made one of their own! It looks hilarious in size, but I'm sure it's functional. Ha ha

I think eventually it got a third-party controller that had dual analog as well. Just in case anyone's curious.

Also,  Love the visual @thefifthgiant !! Hahaha
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:39:07 pm by Quickman »

thefifthgiant

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2015, 07:56:47 pm »
This control scheme is available in Star Wars Episode I Racer as well, and lets you control each of the two engines independently. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me  8)

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2015, 09:11:39 pm »
Here's an alternate icon if you'd like to use it. Let me know if I need to upload it in a different format.
Dingoonity is the place to be!

Quickman

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2015, 10:51:04 pm »
Here's an alternate icon if you'd like to use it. Let me know if I need to upload it in a different format.

Love it!!!

Nebuleon (OP)

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2015, 11:14:13 pm »
I'll use it for sure, for consistency with the other emulators which use icons representing the hardware of the original console. Thanks! :)

But I want to use it only for a good release; for any release before that, where the performance, compatibility or user-friendliness (or some, or all) is not acceptable, I'll keep using the current icon.
The Cloud is nice, but not if it decides to rain on your parade.

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2015, 03:05:53 am »
But I want to use it only for a good release; for any release before that, where the performance, compatibility or user-friendliness (or some, or all) is not acceptable, I'll keep using the current icon.

Sounds good! :)

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2015, 02:06:04 pm »
Out of curiosity, do you plan to implement the N64's rumble pak? That way you can use rumble in games that support it?

In the emulator's menu, you could have the option to enable or disable the rumble pak, for example.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2015, 02:09:20 pm »
Out of curiosity, do you plan to implement the N64's rumble pak? That way you can use rumble in games that support it?

In the emulator's menu, you could have the option to enable or disable the rumble pak, for example.
The input plugin from the emulator already supports rumble for games that support it.

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2015, 02:11:52 pm »
The input plugin from the emulator already supports rumble for games that support it.

So it would already work then? I haven't tried it yet, but good to know it's supported.

xXFrostXx

• * Former Staff
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2015, 03:16:58 am »
I tested Perfect Dark today, and I think I found a bug.

The JIT build loads the game, but freezes after the Perfect Dark logo at a black screen.
The interpreter build gets to the main menu, but then shows an error message that says "ERROR: Controller Pak 1 the save data has been erased due to corruption or damage".

jxv

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2015, 03:31:59 am »
Great work so far, Nebuleon!  ;D

Nebuleon (OP)

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2015, 10:22:48 am »
Thanks, jxv.

I've done my best, but it's diminishing returns until the graphics are better and faster, because they take the most time right now. Even speeding up the JIT by 2x (+100%), which would be another full year of effort to chase enough optimisations to get there, would provide only a global speedup of ~10%.

So until then, I intend to do absolutely nothing on the JIT. I'd only continue if the CPU time spent on graphics, as reported by Oprofile, is less than 25%, or the time spent on the JIT is more than 60%, whichever occurs first.

Let's see who can build off of what I've done.
The Cloud is nice, but not if it decides to rain on your parade.

David Knight

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2015, 08:05:20 pm »
(lack of) Progress update.

Unfortunately I'm still at the code analysis stage. I just haven't got much time right now to dedicate towards this project. If anyone else can spare the time to help build a frontend please let me know, otherwise you'll have to be patient, I've got loads of ideas but no time to implement them  :(

loz_the_guru

« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2015, 10:24:33 am »
Just to say I downloaded this today and had a quick play of Mario 64 (possibly my all time favorite game!) and was pleasantly surprised! The speed is certainly playable, and although I found the sound irritating it's easy enough to turn off.

One thing I think would be worth  doing is integrating the analogue stick. David Knight, I've been using your Pocket Snes (thanks for the work here BTW!) and really enjoyed being able to use the little nub if I felt like it. It would also presumably free up the dpad for other uses.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble but thanks to all those who put hard work into this - very impressive!

Quickman

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2015, 06:56:12 pm »
 I still can't wait to try this, thank you for all of your hard work Neb! It seems the puck stops here for now, but I truly hope somebody picks up where you left off. Either way I'm extremely thankful for all of the hard work that you and anyone else who helped make it happen.  You guys are the best, Merry Christmas!

David Knight

« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2015, 10:39:43 pm »
I've not gone anywhere, I'm just super-busy right now. When I can I'll get back to coding, I've got loads of plans for Genesis-plus and other part-finished projects.

TimeDevouncer

« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2015, 09:24:52 am »
AWESOME!!!! :o

Really good to see you again, nebuleon! ;)

I can't wait to try this emulator! Only a few hours.
Thanks for your work!
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

spinmaster

« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2015, 11:31:03 am »
Thanks Nebuleon for all your work on this! Running Mupen64 on a GCW is like a dream come true!

I will take a closer look into the JIT port soon, just stumbled upon this (best late xmas present). ;) Keep up the great work!