Author Topic: Mednafen for GCW0  (Read 67262 times)

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

Re: Mednafen for GCW0
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2015, 11:48:51 pm »
ok, it's official... i cannot get this emu to run off of QEMU... maybe I'm doing something wrong or whatnot... who knows. Maybe someone else can report until I get my own unit soon.

:-[

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2015, 12:02:51 am »
ok, it's official... i cannot get this emu to run off of QEMU... maybe I'm doing something wrong or whatnot... who knows. Maybe someone else can report until I get my own unit soon.

:-[
Actually, if it shows a black screen then it works.
It just works very slowly, lol.

Turns out my new build was in fact working.
Updated mednafen with my psx core build
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

zhongtiao1

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2015, 12:27:44 am »
PCFX core doesn't work. continuous black screen. Won't boot from internal memory either. ROMs are okay, I tested them with libretro. Love the new icon though :)

One thought though, why don't you set the escape as start+select? Quite a few other emulators use that (in fact, i believe every other one)

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2015, 12:47:57 am »
Can anyone confirm the new build of the psx core works on an actual gcw zero unit? Very curious... thanks!

:o

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2015, 01:04:50 am »
PCFX core doesn't work. continuous black screen. Won't boot from internal memory either. ROMs are okay, I tested them with libretro. Love the new icon though :)
PCFX works for me on qemu.
You need to select the cue file !
I have updated Mednafen PCFX and PSX to filter non-cue files in order to avoid confusion.

If you have any issues with PCFX, update mednafen again.

One thought though, why don't you set the escape as start+select? Quite a few other emulators use that (in fact, i believe every other one)
Because i can't do it with Mednafen, that is all.

Can anyone confirm the new build of the psx core works on an actual gcw zero unit? Very curious... thanks!
Works for me on Qemu. Very slow on the other hand...
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

care16la20

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2015, 02:48:46 pm »
Hi,
Thank you very much for this new ver; Few points:

-PC Engine CD seems to be still without triple buffering. Same performance as before
- PCFX I couldnt try, but ghouls n ghosts and ninja gaiden that are for this system and not CD's is not possible to select on gmenu
- PSX slowww just as before and most games stays on the  bios screen not booting completely

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2015, 03:51:00 pm »
-PC Engine CD seems to be still without triple buffering. Same performance as before
How can this be possible then ?
I have enabled TRIPLEBUFFERING, unless i did a mistake.
Will get my gcw0 in a week and i'll take a look at that.

- PCFX I couldnt try, but ghouls n ghosts and ninja gaiden that are for this system and not CD's is not possible to select on gmenu
lol dude...
Ghouls and Ghosts is a SuperGrafx game and Ninja Gaiden is a PC Engine game.
The NEC PC-FX was an entierely new system released in 1994 and has a 32-bits proc.
None of these games you mentioned were released on PCFX.

- PSX slowww just as before and most games stays on the  bios screen not booting completely
For me, it boots my homebrew game.
It's possible it's a bug in Mednafen though : they fixed a number of issues in the PSX Core 2 days ago.  (0.9.8.7)
Might do an upgrade

Thanks for testing
⚠ WARNING ⚠

yoshi41

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2015, 05:38:20 pm »
Played some PCE games (Gate of Thunder, Star Parodier, Bonk). Works wonderful, smooth scrolling.

Tested Ridge Racer on PSX. Works fine, but ultra slow (as expected).

Tested Chip Chan Kick on PC-FX. Works fine, but also ultra slow.

Good progress. Thanks!
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

bL4sT

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2015, 07:20:34 pm »
When I try to run games on the PCE core, it just sends me back to the menu; Then, I tried to copy and paste the .cfg file that comes with the .opk on the .mednafen directory. After doing that, some games work but most of them just give me a black screen (which makes so that I have to reset the console).

Am I doing something wrong? I have the latest firmware and everything.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2015, 06:57:57 am »
When I try to run games on the PCE core, it just sends me back to the menu; Then, I tried to copy and paste the .cfg file that comes with the .opk on the .mednafen directory. After doing that, some games work but most of them just give me a black screen (which makes so that I have to reset the console).

Am I doing something wrong? I have the latest firmware and everything.
You're probably doing it wrong, because i and others got it to work, yeah.
What games are you trying to play ?

For CD games, you need to select the cue file and not the bin.
Next, you also need syscard file.
It needs to be named "syscard3.pce" and be placed in /media/home/.mednafen
If you want to play Arcade Card games, you need the arcade syscard instead.
Rename your arcade syscard file to syscard3.pce too and move it to /media/home/mednafen

Supergrafx games should work but this could not be the case, i have not tested them.

Thanks for testing yoshi !
Yes unfortunely, unless Ryphecha works on a faster PSX core, it won't happen sorry.
As for PC-FX, how well does it run ? Does it run at 1 FPS per second ?
If so, i'm quite dissapointed...

EDIT:
You are using the wrong Bioses.
You can't use a european bios to play American games with Mednafen, check them before !
(Read first post)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:03:01 am by gameblabla »
⚠ WARNING ⚠

potroast

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2015, 10:59:17 am »
I am sorry to report , that none of the modules work with any rom/iso on my gcw, everytime i choose a rom/iso from the list, i get kicked back to the OS after a short time of darkness :'(

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2015, 11:18:34 am »
I am sorry to report , that none of the modules work with any rom/iso on my gcw, everytime i choose a rom/iso from the list, i get kicked back to the OS after a short time of darkness :'(
You most likely forgot to put mednafen-09x.cfg (found in the zip) in /media/home/.mednafen
If it already exists, replace it.
It is there for a reason.

Honestly, if this kind of issue keeps hapenning to users,
i'll just hardcode it to each OPK file and nobody will be able to modify it.
(but at least, it will work out-of-the-box)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:22:23 am by gameblabla »
⚠ WARNING ⚠

yoshi41

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2015, 11:22:01 am »

Thanks for testing yoshi !
Yes unfortunely, unless Ryphecha works on a faster PSX core, it won't happen sorry.
As for PC-FX, how well does it run ? Does it run at 1 FPS per second ?
If so, i'm quite dissapointed...

Turned on "Show FPS" and tested again PC-FX and PSX games. Both run at 9-10 FPS. Not 1 FPS, but still unplayable.  ;)

Btw, tested Gouls 'n Ghosts and 1941 (SGX). Both work fine, except Gouls 'n Ghosts has horrible sound.

For those having troubles with ISO/CUE files, make sure you have the correct BIOS in "/media/data/local/home/.mednafen".

Here my MD5 checksums...

Code: [Select]
08e36edbea28a017f79f8d4f7ff9b6d7 pcfx.rom
8dd7d5296a650fac7319bce665a6a53c scph5500.bin
490f666e1afb15b7362b406ed1cea246 scph5501.bin
e56ec1b027e2fe8a49217d9678f7f6bb scph5502.bin
01ba94c6d96865b9506b6b67605b6bfb syscard3.pce

Hope it helps.
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

potroast

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2015, 12:15:40 pm »
You most likely forgot to put mednafen-09x.cfg (found in the zip) in /media/home/.mednafen
If it already exists, replace it.
It is there for a reason.

Honestly, if this kind of issue keeps hapenning to users,
i'll just hardcode it to each OPK file and nobody will be able to modify it.
(but at least, it will work out-of-the-box)
Thats it ! working !! ha ha ha.
but honestly i wont go as far, a line in the main post would be enough

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2015, 11:53:42 am »
So it looks like nobody is complaining, great !
I'll push it to the release section.

* somedude : Butt supa ghouls ghosts doesn't work !!! it reboots my console !!! i tried to fry it to fix it but it doesn't work, HELP ! *

Seriously, other than upgrading to 0.9.8.7, there's nothing else i can do but if you have a suggestion
(even if out of my reach), do not hesitate.

⚠ WARNING ⚠

care16la20

« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2015, 04:15:09 pm »

Hi,
Other than the framerate on PC Engine CD, I see nothing wrong with the release....

I disregarded the other cores due to be too much slow at least for now btw.....

I still cant manage to run ninja gaiden and ghouls n ghosts which are supposely pc engine or pc fx

zhongtiao1

« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2015, 04:33:34 pm »
I'll be able to test later today. Have you enabled frame skipping on the PC-FX module? Or did you just optimize it more? If you didn't do frame skipping, that may raise the fps a few :)

zhongtiao1

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2015, 04:45:20 pm »
Seems good (at least the PCFX seems better) again, the frame skipping question, and the launch from internal memory problem. If it could get up to 18-20 fps then it could be called playable. 30 fps is what we need for it to be perfect

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2015, 10:01:11 pm »
Seems good (at least the PCFX seems better) again, the frame skipping question, and the launch from internal memory problem. If it could get up to 18-20 fps then it could be called playable. 30 fps is what we need for it to be perfect
Good to hear PCFX works better. (Yoshi said it was 10 FPS)
I still don't know what's wrong with the frameskipping, Mednafen does not do anything...
The Internal Memory issue, that's one strange issue too...
Anyways, i'll soon get my GCW0 and i'll do more investigation on this.

I will try to push more aggressive optimisations to Mednafen too, this might help a bit. (at best 1-2 FPS)
⚠ WARNING ⚠

zhongtiao1

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2015, 10:45:29 pm »
Okay, cool :) could it be that somehow mednafen has been blocked from executing any files stored on the internal memory

Post a new topic