Author Topic: Mednafen for GCW0  (Read 65078 times)

gameblabla (OP)

Re: Mednafen for GCW0
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 08:46:05 pm »
Thanks !!
PSX still crashes the emu without loading... Noticed it didnt create an .mednafe_psx folder to put the bios...
That's normal, it crashed for me too, i made a mistake in the config file.
Re-download it please, i fixed it.
Don't forget to update the config file too !
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

yoshi41

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 08:51:54 pm »
Tried a couple of PCE/PCE CD games.

Thanks a lot!

It's already much better than the other PCE emus.  :)
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

care16la20

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 08:52:14 pm »
Oh all right gonna redo and see how it goes

Edit: link not workin
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:53:47 pm by care16la20 »

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 09:01:58 pm »
Edit: link not workin
Yeah, my fault again, sorry.
This is fixed, try again.
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

David Knight

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 09:17:47 pm »
Nice work, which cores have you successfully compiled? Is netplay enabled?
This is the core list according to the Mednafen website.
Atari Lynx
Game Boy Advance
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Nintendo Entertainment System   
Super Nintendo Entertainment System (only available in WIP)
Nintendo Virtual Boy (only available in WIP)
PC Engine
PC-FX
PlayStation (only available in WIP)
WonderSwan Color
Sega Genesis (only available in WIP)
Sega Master System and Game Gear
It would be great to try the Virtual Boy on the GCW0.
Thanks david !
I have compiled everything i believe, even Genesis but i'm not actually sure. (i have not explicitly enabled it by default)
I believe i have enabled netplay as well but what purpose it could have on GCW0?

Virtual Boy works but unfortunely... :
  • Virtual Boy's resolution is 384x240, which is higher than the GCW0. (I'm not using the IPU yet though)
  • The V810 core is very slow, even when set to 'fast". That's the reason why PC-FX emulation is slow too.
  • Virtual Boy has two dpad : i could not set the 2nd dpad to the stick because i don't know what a stick config looks like

If you upload to guthub or something I could help you with the analogue stick issue.
Just set "X-OD-NeedsDownscaling=true" in the default.gcw0.desktop file to enable 384x240 res.
That's what i already did, it was called "Sauce repo".
https://github.com/gameblabla/mednafen-gcw

Yeah, i know about that option NeedsDownscaling but the problem is that
Mednafen seems to do it itself automatically in software...
I need to find how to disable this.

The config file can be found in the release folder.

Sorry, didn't see the source code link  :-[

Looking at the config file, perhaps disabling scaling on the VB emulator may help? (line 8775)

I'll take a look at the controller code for vb. I'll push a patch to github when I get somewhere.

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 10:40:18 pm »
Mednafen-PSX core still crashes for me using QEMU... I know what I'm doing and it still seems to crash when loading CRASH BANDICOOT 2... the .bin or the .cue...

I have updated to the latest Mednafen core releases as of 10min ago. I have yet to try the mednafen core, but I am mostly interested in seeing if the psx core works as specified.

A question... where are we supposed to place the BIOS image files within the Zero?? I have them stored within the vFAT folder through QEMU. In other words, is there a specific folder where the 3 BIOS images are supposed to stored??

Thanks!

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 03:47:05 am »
I have them stored within the vFAT folder through QEMU. In other words, is there a specific folder where the 3 BIOS images are supposed to stored??
Thanks!
Yes, you should put them in /usr/local/home/.mednafen and not anywhere else or else Mednafen won't detect them.
MednafenPSX works for me here on QEMU
⚠ WARNING ⚠

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 04:11:33 am »
hmm.... maybe I am using a bad ROM image... I will try other games to see if I can get them to load properly.

How is the framerate of the games for the psx core?? playable?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 04:49:09 am »
hmm.... maybe I am using a bad ROM image... I will try other games to see if I can get them to load properly.
How is the framerate of the games for the psx core?? playable?
Yeah, make sure your bioses are named properly.
Make sure you properly updated both opk files, including the config file !

As for the framerate, i was a bit surprised...
I used a homebrew game for testing but like i said before,
the bios screen and the game itself was pretty smooth actually, close to fullspeed.

EDIT: That was me being crazy... It was the Pc build here, not the GCW0 one lol.
PSX one runs at about 1 FPS, it's weird and it should run faster than that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:26:47 am by gameblabla »
⚠ WARNING ⚠

David Knight

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 08:09:59 am »
I can't check right now but I'd suspect PSX scaling is enabled in the config file. This would have a dramatic effect on framerate.

care16la20

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2015, 01:32:06 pm »

Hi, also in the new ver.+config , the start button to give the run command is a little bit scrambled because it brings an remap, so due to this it's impossible to press run...

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2015, 02:37:54 pm »
EDIT: NOO.
It's bad code produced by GCC and this time, it doesn't even work with -O 0, crap.
I will look at this further but this will probably be fixed only until the next toolchain comes out.
(spoiler: IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN)
I highly doubt that GCC is the problem here.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2015, 05:04:25 pm »
Things like this makes me wish i had a GCW0, which will happen soon
but not right now.
I have updated Mednafen again and you should all upgrade to it, again.

I have fixed the controls (It's now Start+X for configuring input), i have disabled software scaling and enabled IPU scaling
and made optimisations a bit more agressive.
It's smaller too.
⚠ WARNING ⚠

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2015, 10:37:46 pm »
Can anyone with a GCW ZERO confirm that the psx core works properly? I am attempting to run a few psx games through mednafen on QEMU but cannot get it to run properly...

>:(

care16la20

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2015, 11:18:12 pm »
Hi,

Well, no changes on PSX ; Still very slow even while on bios animation.....

PC Engine superb ... PC Engine CD sometimes the framerate seems to go over 100% ... Observed that behavior on AkumaJou

VirtualBoy is working unscalled and slow as well, but faster than PSX

GameAdvance is also a little bit slow

Wonderswan is having framerate very unstable, but some games gfx work better than on the other emulator...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:22:05 pm by care16la20 »

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2015, 06:35:52 am »
Hi,

Well, no changes on PSX ; Still very slow even while on bios animation.....

PC Engine superb ... PC Engine CD sometimes the framerate seems to go over 100% ... Observed that behavior on AkumaJou

VirtualBoy is working unscalled and slow as well, but faster than PSX

GameAdvance is also a little bit slow
For PC-Engine, i guess i could switch to Triple Buffering to avoid the emulator from going faster than it should
but that would mean making all the other cores slower. (except NES and GB cores, which reportely requires only around 300Mhz)
What should i do ?

Wonderswan is having framerate very unstable, but some games gfx work better than on the other emulator...
Yeah, my emulator (and all Oswan's derivatives) currently has issues with some black & white games
and Mednafen fixed those.
I still don't know how to fix this... (i'm working on a better hack for those games without affecting the other games)
⚠ WARNING ⚠

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2015, 06:48:39 am »
Gameblabla... do you think that the mednafen-psx core .opk has any chance of potentially working fullspeed instead of at 1-2 frames per second??

I've heard from others that a completely new dynarec may be needed in order for a proper psx emu to work on the Zero...

Thanks!

:P

yoshi41

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2015, 08:15:24 am »
For PC-Engine, i guess i could switch to Triple Buffering to avoid the emulator from going faster than it should
but that would mean making all the other cores slower. (except NES and GB cores, which reportely requires only around 300Mhz)
What should i do ?

You could create a separate OPK just for PCE. I also noticed games running too fast sometimes and I assume scrolling would benefit from triple buffering. PCE really needs a decent emu. The other systems are mostly covered by other emus.
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2015, 09:14:00 am »
What should i do ?
How would enabling triple buffering make other cores slower? They would be slower only if they render at more than 60fps (so in the case where you emulate too fast).

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2015, 11:37:08 am »
How would enabling triple buffering make other cores slower? They would be slower only if they render at more than 60fps (so in the case where you emulate too fast).
I thought using triple buffering added some overhead as opposed to "render as many frames as possible"...
The cores i was talking about are not even running fullspeed by the way.

Anyways, i switched the bpp from 32 to 16 (Apparently, 32bpp is slow on this device) and enabled triple buffering.
I will test this new build on QEMU and then i will release it if nothing wrong happens.

Gameblabla... do you think that the mednafen-psx core .opk has any chance of potentially working fullspeed instead of at 1-2 frames per second??

I've heard from others that a completely new dynarec may be needed in order for a proper psx emu to work on the Zero...
Gee, you sure love the psx...
I don't think even a MIPS dynarec will help the GCW0 much : the problem is that it is too accurate.
If Ryphecha could release a faster version of the PSX core like she did with pce_fast, then we can get decent PSX emulation on GCW0.
Otherwise, enjoy your 1fps PSX emulator lol
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:42:53 am by gameblabla »
⚠ WARNING ⚠

Post a new topic
Post a new topic