Author Topic: Mednafen for GCW0  (Read 66546 times)

care16la20

Re: Mednafen for GCW0
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2015, 01:50:09 pm »
Hi,

Well my opinion:

- Clean the code to leave only PC Engine / CD core with triple buffering and whatever else necessary.
- Maybe try to make Virtual Boy playable as well with an different opk
- Maybe try to make PSX playable as well with an different opk

And thats it; Dont see reasons to make the rest fully optimized and playable since there are other emulators already for that (Maybe GBA could be worth since ReGBA doesnt run everything)

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2015, 02:19:46 pm »
Agreed.

care16la20

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2015, 02:27:30 pm »
Btw

PC Engine / CD has great remakes (ninja gaiden from NES, etc) and some others 16bit are much better than on Genesis / Snes
Its easy to find comparisons around the web

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2015, 05:13:14 pm »
How would enabling triple buffering make other cores slower? They would be slower only if they render at more than 60fps (so in the case where you emulate too fast).
I thought using triple buffering added some overhead as opposed to "render as many frames as possible"...
The cores i was talking about are not even running fullspeed by the way.
SDL_SWSURFACE is the slowest,
SDL_HWSURFACE is fast but has tearing issues and no VSYNC,
SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_DOUBLEBUF is fast, gets rid of the tearing issues and provides VSYNC, but the games are limited to 60/X fps (so 60fps, 30fps if it can't reach 60fps, 15fps if it can't reach 30fps etc.)
SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_TRIPLEBUF is fast, has no tearing issues, has VSYNC, and without this problem.

So the general idea is:
- never use SDL_SWSURFACE,
- never use just SDL_HWSURFACE,
- if the game/emu will always run at 60fps, use double buffering (it has a slightly smaller latency),
- if the FPS of the game/emu will fluctuate, use triple buffering.

care16la20

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2015, 01:52:29 am »

One more thing noticed:

PC Engine CD - Games in single Iso/Cue format only works when on external card; On internal memory they crash... On internal they work only if they are on iso/cue/ogg format...

zhongtiao1

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2015, 04:13:10 am »

One more thing noticed:

PC Engine CD - Games in single Iso/Cue format only works when on external card; On internal memory they crash... On internal they work only if they are on iso/cue/ogg format...
I can confirm for PC-FX same problem. Haven't tried loading bin/cue from external, but it seems like the same problem

EDIT: PC-FX games aren't working. Tested Der Langrisser FX and Arubarea's Maiden. When launched from nand, doesn't boot. From SD card, black screen. It isn't an opk problem as PC engine games work and wonderswan games work.

You may get better performance if the PC-FX core is seperate like the PSX core. Just an idea
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:49:13 am by zhongtiao1 »

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2015, 11:56:36 am »
Those crashes are weird... They look like OpenBor's ones actually.
No idea.

Anyways, my next release is close and will be divided into 4 cores. (PSX, PCFX, VB, GB/GBA/NES)
I have mostly disabled scaling (except for VB) and tried to make pcfx emulation faster. (yeah...)

More to come
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2015, 12:44:32 pm »
[...] When launched from nand, doesn't boot. From SD card, black screen. [...]
The internal memory is an SD card, not NAND flash memory. What differs here is the file system (ext4 vs FAT32).

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2015, 02:36:22 pm »
Gameblabla:  thanks again for all of your hard work. When your next release posts, could you kindly give more of a step-by-step of the following for the PSX core:

1) Precise BIOS image(s) location. Also, if someone is only running the USA .iso game files, should we only place scph5501.bin or scph1001.bin in the .mednafen folder instead of all 3 (JP, US, Euro) together?

2) When running the actual games (.iso/.bin)... there are .cue files that sometimes come along with the game file images off of the 'net. To load a game properly, should we load the .bin or load the .cue files? Also, should these two files be located within the same folder? If so, which folder should they be placed inside of?

I apologize for these questions... others have had success loading the bios animation off of their Zero while i am having trouble through QEMU...

:P

zhongtiao1

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2015, 03:19:05 pm »
[...] When launched from nand, doesn't boot. From SD card, black screen. [...]
The internal memory is an SD card, not NAND flash memory. What differs here is the file system (ext4 vs FAT32).
Sorry, I've been working with the 3DS as well. My mistake

zhongtiao1

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2015, 03:26:16 pm »
Gameblabla:  thanks again for all of your hard work. When your next release posts, could you kindly give more of a step-by-step of the following for the PSX core:

1) Precise BIOS image(s) location. Also, if someone is only running the USA .iso game files, should we only place scph5501.bin or scph1001.bin in the .mednafen folder instead of all 3 (JP, US, Euro) together?

2) When running the actual games (.iso/.bin)... there are .cue files that sometimes come along with the game file images off of the 'net. To load a game properly, should we load the .bin or load the .cue files? Also, should these two files be located within the same folder? If so, which folder should they be placed inside of?

I apologize for these questions... others have had success loading the bios animation off of their Zero while i am having trouble through QEMU...

pcfx.rom is in .mednafen with the mednafen.cfg

PCFX roms only (as far as I know) come in cue/bin files. Launching both from external SD card just show a black screen. No sound, no video. Either it's extremely slow (I waited for about two minutes before giving up) or it doesn't work fully. At least it launches. .cue doesn't launch, .bin does.

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2015, 04:04:15 pm »
well I was referring to the PSX (playstation) core... not PCFX... i will await gameblabla's instructions prior to the next release.

Vanacraft

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2015, 04:24:40 pm »
Anyways, my next release is close and will be divided into 4 cores. (PSX, PCFX, VB, GB/GBA/NES)
No PC-Engine?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2015, 11:01:26 pm »
No PC-Engine?
ah crap i forgot !
i will do pc-engine as well, so 5 cores in all.

well I was referring to the PSX (playstation) core... not PCFX... i will await gameblabla's instructions prior to the next release.
yeah i know but psx's core was so slow, i did not even wanted to improve it lol.
(but some of my optimisations applies to the other cores as well, including PSX)
Nothing significant though, i just did remove the software scaling, exceptions on the pcfx cores and maybe
some minor other things but that's pretty much it, it took me a while to do this.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:06:04 pm by gameblabla »
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2015, 10:32:51 pm »
I thought i might tell you my progress on mednafen so there you go.

Good news, i got the PCFX core working properly !
It's pretty slow though, not sure how well it runs on the real device. (probably more than 3 fps)

PC Engine core is still working properly, CD games should as well.

Bad news, i'm hitting lots of bugs now.

First of all, i somehow broke PSX's core display.
I hate to say this but i should make a mednafen fork just for the psx core,
because it is really problematic.

Mednafen really does some weird things in the name of accuracy :
PSX : it emulates the screen resolution plus the overscan...
PCFX : it was even more weird because It streched the res to 288x232 and applied bilinear filtering...
(i fixed this, thankfully)

Virtual Boy's core did not liked my modifications and there are some graphical glitches.
GB/GBA/NES are working just fine but the opk takes the icon & description from mednafen's vb core...
Strange.

What should i do ?
Release for now the PCE and PCFX cores and release the other cores later ?

A better long-term plan might be to port libretro/retroarch because
their mednafen forks supports 16bpp and are not using threads (i think).
In the latter case, i might just stop working on this and instead focus on RetroArch
when i get my GCW0.

i will await gameblabla's instructions prior to the next release.
Stay on high alert, the enemy is still around !
Check the surrondings.

Nah, just kidding.
just wait for me to update this mess
⚠ WARNING ⚠

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2015, 10:38:34 pm »
I would release all the 5 cores as separate .opk files in the future... that way, all of us within the community can pick n choose which core we care to download and play alone, etc.

Up to you but that's my take on it. Hopefully the Playstation core (PSX) works out for you soon!

:P

David Knight

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2015, 09:29:35 am »
Could someone try Roadblasters for the Atari Lynx on this? On Handy there's some graphical corruption of the background.

It's one of the very few games not working well and it would be interesting to see if the core has been patched to fix this.

(I've no access to my device right now btw, not being lazy  ;) )
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:32:11 am by David Knight »

care16la20

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2015, 01:28:57 pm »
Could someone try Roadblasters for the Atari Lynx on this? On Handy there's some graphical corruption of the background.

It's one of the very few games not working well and it would be interesting to see if the core has been patched to fix this.

(I've no access to my device right now btw, not being lazy  ;) )

Yes, those glitches dont appear on mednafen....

The only problem I see on the port in mednafen is the lack of an menu for adjustments (screen size, etc)

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2015, 11:25:06 pm »
I have (finally) released my mednafen update.
If you expect a huge speedup though, you'll be disappointed.

It is released as 4 OPKs :
Generic (NES/GB/GBA/Lynx), PC Engine, PCFX and PSX.
The PSX core comes from an older build because the new one fails to run.
I did not release the VB core due to the overall slowness and bugs i encountered with it.

I have provided some instructions in my very first post so be sure to read them !

Try, play, report... as usual.
⚠ WARNING ⚠

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2015, 11:34:06 pm »
Alright! Will do!

Post a new topic