Author Topic: Mednafen for GCW0  (Read 39144 times)

gameblabla (OP)

Re: Mednafen for GCW0
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2016, 11:07:31 pm »
Ok, found out why this happens.
Set this :
Code: [Select]
pce_fast.correct_aspect 1
to this :
pce_fast.correct_aspect 0

And it should fix your issue with the stretching.

I will push a proper update too that should fix some other issues as well.

You could try the PCE-Fast core in RetroArch. RA has aspect ratio options in Video settings so you can correct it manually. Setting it to 8:7 should be about right.
He could do that too but honestly, setting up RetroArch is a pain in the ass for end-users. (loading a core, then loading the game...)
It is also slower than a native port.

Qubits

« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2016, 01:59:34 am »
Yes it works ! Perfect ratio now :))

Could you please explain me how to play some pc engines cd games because i have tried everything and i cant or send me a copy of your .mednafen folder in zip (should be faster) ?

Awakened

« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2016, 09:46:39 pm »
He could do that too but honestly, setting up RetroArch is a pain in the ass for end-users. (loading a core, then loading the game...)
It is also slower than a native port.
Yeah, the GCW port seems to have some performance issues. Even on the faster cores I would notice the audio crackling a little here and there.

Qubits

« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2016, 03:03:06 am »
Up.

Is anybody using the v1.31 got the PCE CD to work ? Are they working only when on an sdcard or internal as well ? Do you only need syscard3.pce to make them work or CD-ROM System bioses files as well, if so what name should they have ? Can somebody try to delete his old version / folder / files on his gcw, install the v1.31 and the games on internal via ftp and let me know if it works because its not for me and ive done everything i should to make it work so im starting to think its an issue with v1.31 and not my installation / configuration...

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2016, 06:13:56 am »
Up.
Is anybody using the v1.31 got the PCE CD to work ? Are they working only when on an sdcard or internal as well ? Do you only need syscard3.pce to make them work or CD-ROM System bioses files as well, if so what name should they have ? Can somebody try to delete his old version / folder / files on his gcw, install the v1.31 and the games on internal via ftp and let me know if it works because its not for me and ive done everything i should to make it work so im starting to think its an issue with v1.31 and not my installation / configuration...
BEFORE TRANSFERING FILES TO YOUR ZERO,
SET YOUR FTP CLIENT TO BINARY MODE OR ELSE YOU WILL HAVE TROUBLE
PLAYING GAMES !

It is a problem with your config.
CD games are working perfectly with Mednafen, as show here by me :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asy5fITXfeU

Delete all your CD games, set your ftp client to binary before transfer and then try again.
If this still does not work, show the content of your cue files here.

Qubits

« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2016, 06:47:19 am »
Ok by talking about the cue file you put me on the way, the games were not launching because the extension in the cue was .BIN (capitalized). After i've renamed them into .bin , they've all launch perfectly which leads me to two suggestions :

Would it be possible for the next update that it launch .BIN & .bin ? If not, it would be a good thing to mention it in the " installation " part since all cue files downloaded are .BIN by default.

Is there a way to escape the button configuration menu (Start + X) ? because it happens that instead of pressing select + X to exit i press start + X and since i cant seems to configure it correctly, i have to reupload mednafen-09x.cfg to reset it.

Qubits

« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2016, 08:18:07 am »
For the .iso cd games i've had to rename the file name inside the cue to make it correspond to the filename because it wasnt launching, seems to be case sensitive.

I've tested all of my cd games, they all work very good (aspect ratio & fps), maybe the shooters are showing a little bit of slows here and there (especially on Star Parodia, goes down to 49 fps but still very playable) but for Loom that is in .bin format ( rom), its launching but there is a problem with the aspect ratio (again, yeah !!!), the picture is slightly shifted on the right and when i press Start + X, i get the whole picture but then it becomes blurry, here are some pictures :

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2016, 12:30:24 pm »
The picture is not shifted, this is because Loom, uses a very high horinzontal resolution on NEC PC-ENGINE, higher than the GCW's one.
I have uploaded a new version of Mednafen that should fix this.

Would it be possible for the next update that it launch .BIN & .bin ?
No. Why ?
So it does not get even more confusing...
See, the ISO makers are assuming all operating systems are not case-sentitive, which can causes issues like on GCW.
Thus, allowing it to launch BIN & bin might not be a good idea because what happen if my bin is named "mygame.BIN" but in the cue file,
it is described as "MyGame.BIN" ?
The end-user will think the issue is not case related and will blame me instead.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:36:09 pm by gameblabla »

Qubits

« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2016, 12:32:11 pm »
Which version ?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2016, 12:35:26 pm »
Which version ?
The latest, the link is the same, as always.

Qubits

« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2016, 01:04:00 pm »
The picture is not shifted, this is because Loom, uses a very high horinzontal resolution on NEC PC-ENGINE, higher than the GCW's one.
I have uploaded a new version of Mednafen that should fix this.

This is the version i use (v1.31 (05/05/2016)).

Would it be possible for the next update that it launch .BIN & .bin ?
No. Why ?
So it does not get even more confusing...
See, the ISO makers are assuming all operating systems are not case-sentitive, which can causes issues like on GCW.
Thus, allowing it to launch BIN & bin might not be a good idea because what happen if my bin is named "mygame.BIN" but in the cue file,
it is described as "MyGame.BIN" ?
The end-user will think the issue is not case related and will blame me instead.

Removing the case sensitivity would fix the problem in both extension & file name.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2016, 01:14:12 pm »
Don't look at the version number, i never bother to update it.
When i say i have released a new update, then it is the new version even if it claims otherwise.

Removing the case sensitivity would fix the problem in both extension & file name.
The reason i'm saying this is because it cannot be easily done.

Qubits

« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2016, 01:18:33 pm »
Don't look at the version number, i never bother to update it.
When i say i have released a new update, then it is the new version even if it claims otherwise.

I dont get your point, i have downloaded the latest version here : https://github.com/gameblabla/mednafen-gcw/raw/master/release/mednafen-gcw0.zip and the problem on loom is the same.

The reason i'm saying this is because it cannot be easily done.

I hope you will find a solution about this, maybe you can just mention it in the installation part for people who are new with a gcw, it will save them time.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2016, 01:20:56 pm »
I dont get your point, i have downloaded the latest version here : https://github.com/gameblabla/mednafen-gcw/raw/master/release/mednafen-gcw0.zip and the problem on loom is the same.
You also need to update the provided configuration file each time there's an update, dude.

Qubits

« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2016, 01:28:14 pm »
Ok, i have downloaded the latest but when i press Start + B it launch the button configuration instead of changing aspect ratio.... which is blurred by default

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2016, 01:34:04 pm »
Ok, i have downloaded the latest but when i press Start + B it launch the button configuration instead of changing aspect ratio.... which is blurred by default

Ok, in the config file, change this :
command.input_config1 keyboard 13+altto this :
command.input_config1 keyboard 13+ctrl
Sorry, that was an oversight.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:41:29 pm by gameblabla »

Qubits

« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2016, 01:36:49 pm »
It's already on :

;Configure buttons on virtual port 1
command.input_config1 keyboard 13+alt

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2016, 01:44:42 pm »
soory, its the reverse.

set it to:
command.input_config1 keyboard 13+ctrl

Qubits

« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2016, 02:08:05 pm »
The picture is still shifted on the right at original aspect ratio.

Qubits

« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2016, 12:00:28 am »
Here is a comparaison i've made of Mednafen vs Temper with the mouse max position on the left (top screenshot) & on the right (bottom screenshot). You can see that the picture on Temper is centered horizontally and vertically so i guess this is what needs to be done on Mednafen as well.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:03:37 am by Qubits »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic