Author Topic: GCW0ROMPatcher [IN DEVELOPMENT] (Testers Needed)  (Read 3187 times)

Sabotender (OP)

• Codename: Mercury
GCW0ROMPatcher [IN DEVELOPMENT] (Testers Needed)
« on: June 29, 2017, 05:00:53 pm »

GCW Zero ROM Patcher
Beta Testers Needed!

This utility was created to be the answer to the emulators currently in the GCW Zero not supporting proper patch functionality. Now you can play your favourite ROM titles with Game Genie codes, and more!

I really need people who are willing to do their best to 'break' the application, throwing all sorts of nonsense at it, so I can do my best to make it crash-proof.

I can be contacted here via post, or message, but won't be checking the boards unless I am releasing a major update.

If you want a more immediate response, highlight me in the Freenode #gcw channel.

Notes and usage as of 29-JUN-2017-BETA-1:

• Only NES ROMs are supported. Don't try to patch any other ROM type, because it just won't work.
  • Compressed files are NOT supported. You must select an uncompressed .nes file for proper operation.
  • Add new codes via the File Menu.
  • Edit and Settings menus are currently defunct.
  • 'Help' functionility has not yet been implemented.
  • If you are confused over which buttons to use, follow the button usage bar at the bottom. It is mostly accurate.
  • If you make a mistake entering a title, code, or some other value in a dialog box, and need to delete it, first close the keyboard (if open), then use the left directional arrow to move the cursor backward (unless noted otherwise).
  • Use the directional arrows to navigate between various UI elements such as buttons, listViews, Radios, Scrollbars, etc. You will see each UI element highlight in some (hopefully obvious) way to inform you which is currently active.
  • You must have the text box selected in order to bring up the keyboard. The type of keyboard displayed depends on what you are currently editing.
  • The Launch button is defunct, please use the File menu to patch your ROM and launch the emulator.
  • Your original ROMs are NOT modified! They are copied to the /tmp/ directory, and the file there is patched instead.

Important: Some codes just don't work! It's likely I can't fix this as there could be any number of reasons why they do not, such as:
  • Bad Dump
  • Missing Header
  • Wrong Version
  • RAM code instead of ROM code (which will never be supported, as RAM codes affect memory on the console)

I recommend you use codes from the bsfree website as I have personally had the best success from there. Try codes that were created by individuals, and not released by GALOOB.

6 character codes are still under examination. They may or may not work. I am pretty confident that 8 character codes will patch accurately as I have tested multiple ROMs with great success.

* I may have missed some things, but that should be enough to get you started. Oh, please don't modify the configuration file, unless you really need to change the default path to an emulator. If you see 'none' listed for an emulator, please feel free to replace it with an absolute path.

Link to the file has been provided below. Thanks!

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/6ZnVhTgeNx
29-JUN-2017-BETA-1 Password: Ohshei6M
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:29:29 am by Sabotender »

Sabotender (OP)

Re: GCW0ROMPatcher [IN DEVELOPMENT] (Testers Needed)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 05:28:49 pm »
Code Creation Example:

Use the following Public Domain NES ROM, "world.nes",  for this example.
http://cpprograms.net/devnull/world.nes

Press [SELECT] to open the Menu, Choose "New Code", Select Console Type, Press "OK"

Next dialog is automatically displayed

Select Code Type, Press "OK"

Make sure "Title" is highlighted, Press [Left Bumper] to open the keyboard. Enter chosen title. Press [Left Bumper] again to dismiss keyboard. Press "OK"

Make sure "Value" is highlighted, Press [Left Bumper] to open the keyboard. Enter chosen value. Press [Left Bumper] again to dismiss keyboard. Press "OK" if you are done entering codes. Press "Apply" to add current code to list, and allow entering additional codes

When you are finished adding additional codes, and are ready to play. Press [Select] to open the Menu, Save your codes, and then select "Run".

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:19:00 am by Sabotender »

Sabotender (OP)

Re: GCW0ROMPatcher [IN DEVELOPMENT] (Testers Needed)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 05:30:18 pm »

Greetings!

I wanted to show you what an example ".moo" file looks like. It's a simple INI file which holds a list of all your codes in an easily editable form:

Here's one I've made for MegaMan IV:
Code: [Select]
[console]
type=NES

[patch]
name=Infinite Weapons
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=OUENESOO

[patch]
name=Items And Eddie Always Re Appear
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=AAEAGOPY

[patch]
name=Start With Infinite Balloons
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=VUNGZAEP

[patch]
name=Stay Invincible
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=SESALAVG
code=ILXETVGU

[patch]
name=Start With Infinite Wire
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=SUNGZAEP

[patch]
name=Start With Inf Rush Marine
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=UUNGZAEP

[patch]
name=Start With Infinite Rush Jet
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=XUNGZAEP

[patch]
name=Start With Infinite Rush Coil
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=OUNGZAEP

[patch]
name=Move Super Fast
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=ALIENE

[patch]
name=200 Energy Tanks
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=PETOTV

[patch]
name=Faster Sliding
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=GEOAGPZA

[patch]
name=Instant Mega Blast
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=AEOAIEPA

[patch]
name=Mega Jumping
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=AAKEYPIE

[patch]
name=Infinite Lives
type=GAMEGENIE
active=true
code=SZUGUAVG

If you examine the code for "Stay Invincible" you will notice there's multiple "code" lines. This means that two codes are required in order for "Stay Invincible" to work. You will see how this becomes useful when GameShark codes have been implemented (for other consoles).

Just follow that exact format if you want to create your own .moo file. The file must exactly match the name of the ROM you wish to create the .moo file for. For exampe, "Megaman II (U) [!].nes" would have a "Megaman II (U) [!].moo" file.

The patch files reside in the "/home/.GCW0ROMPatcher" directory on the unit, and are automatically loaded with the start of the utility. Please note that the titles have a limited length and an error will be thrown if you exceed thirty-six characters, including spaces. The only characters allowed are those you will find on the on-screen keyboard.

I've included links to other games which I've personally found to be extremely popular and playable:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/8PVdafoDBB

Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a perfect Super Mario Brothers 3 ROM dump because none of the codes I've tried work for that game (to my extreme dismay).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:07:55 am by Sabotender »

Post a new topic