Author Topic: Emulation Station  (Read 46430 times)

ruffnutts

Re: Emulation Station
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2015, 06:05:34 pm »
O well seems its come to a hault... shame that :o

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2015, 01:12:23 am »
Hey everyone. You know, after reading all of the comments/replies/etc. on this topic, I wanted to make my own remark about this subject. Honestly, I have been using the Zero for months & I love it. Additionally, I love to experiment with it & after messing around with the different wallpapers/skins/apps/etc... I realized that there is already an app that you can download off of these boards that displays the battery gauge at the bottom right corner I believe.

I didn't even realize it myself but it's there, I guess no one caught it until now like I did. All you have to do is download the app entitled "PyBattery". Once you install the .opk, it will appear under the APPLICATIONS section. Simple.

Let me know what you all think.

See ya!

malloc

« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2015, 08:17:58 pm »
Hello everyone!
Good job, looks good.
I put these lines in .emulationstation/es_systems.cfg to launch opk:

*** caution do not try it at home. You gcw0 can freeze :D ***

<systemList>

<system>
      <name>apps</name>
      <fullname>Dingoo linux OPK</fullname>
      <path>/media/data/apps/</path>
      <extension>.opk</extension>
      <command>opkrun %ROM%</command>
      <platform>linux</platform>
      <theme>simple</theme>
   </system>

</systemList>

faults:

Some applications do not work
Emulation station does not read [Desktop Entry] Categories, Icon, Exec ... attributes

We need a copy/paste of code gmenu2x to emulationstation if you want to run OPK. A little work here.

I'm trying to put a theme to check the memory consumption of ES vs gmenus2x.

Beers for all!

Agrajag

« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2015, 02:05:15 pm »
Well this is fantastic!  Thanks to that old chestnut "real life issues" I've not visited the forum for ages and my Zero has only been switched on twice since I finally received it in November (it has been sitting on my desk in its little bag, sulking) so I was very pleased to read this thread.

It's looking great so far, and I hope to install it soon, along with a bunch of emulators. I haven't even got as far as visiting the software repository yet, so really need to get on with that...

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2015, 02:47:16 am »
Hey guys,

As you know, I haven't been online for a few weeks.
However, I do want to let you know that the theme has been finished.
Now, we just need help with the source port. I still haven't heard from com64.

This past week, I have been very busy. I actually started my own YouTube channel and hope to eventually grow like the other well known channels, so I hope you check it out and support me in this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRXNqATykD0wbQ_hiIU0Y_Q
(Wait until tomorrow to watch videos on there. I plan to record three videos in the morning, and I had to fix some issues in my part one playthrough, so it will be re-uploaded in the morning.)

I'm looking forward to getting this project finished as soon as we find some help.
Dingoonity is the place to be!

enodr

« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2015, 06:26:55 am »
Hi xXFrostXx,

I am glad to see you are working on this project. I just bought a GCW and I am a big fan of EmulationStation. I see the port of ES has been halted so maybe I could give some help on this.

Maybe we could find a better solution than the scrapper like an offline db, but that maybe something to discuss with upstream and aloshi.

Contact me if you want to resume work on this.

I see your youtube channel has disappeared, I hope you have not quit.

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2015, 12:50:11 pm »
Hi xXFrostXx,

I am glad to see you are working on this project. I just bought a GCW and I am a big fan of EmulationStation. I see the port of ES has been halted so maybe I could give some help on this.

Maybe we could find a better solution than the scrapper like an offline db, but that maybe something to discuss with upstream and aloshi.

Contact me if you want to resume work on this.

I see your youtube channel has disappeared, I hope you have not quit.

Yeah, I did quit the channel. It was taking too much time away from my writing. (I'm an author.)

You said an offline database? It would be possible, but consider how many games you'd have to gather info for and put into the database. It could take years.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:57:33 am by xXFrostXx »

enodr

« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2015, 08:31:19 pm »
When I say 'db' I was thinking more about something like OpenVGDB but that may be even too much hassle for nothing:
https://github.com/OpenVGDB/Parser/tree/master/Parse/covers

The scraper is fine on a PC but it takes ages to complete a nice list. I have made some tests on the GCW and added some systems + games and using the scraper would be a pain imho.

Maybe instead we could comply with some wellknown romsets like no-intro and make .xml accordingly with some nice covers? We could prepare gamelists prefilled with these complete romsets + boxart for the supported emulators on the gcw (if you don't have a specific rom it won't show in the list so that's fine). That's what I was going to do for myself so sharing this on a github would not hurt. Of course it requires some help of contributors to collect all the necessary box art or ingame screenshot.

I also did some test with the simple theme you posted here and it's nice with the bigger fonts. Maybe I would just follow hi-ban suggestion and remove the game comments, etc to keep only the rating for the smaller screen of the gcw.

Even though I have not looked much at the gcw specific patches, adding back the shutdown / restart options should be trivial.

And lastly I am in the process of compiling mednafen with pce_fast to support a PC Engine emu with command line rom loading which temper does not allow. I bought the gcw to play PC Engine on the go, so it would be a pity that I cannot use it inside EmulationStation :)

Tell me if that fits your plan and if so maybe we can start doing something. That might take sometime as my day work eats a lot of time, but using a github and commiting work often can be a motivation for everyone!

sparkymark79

« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2015, 12:36:37 pm »
do this please. I'm pretty sure we all want this as it looks great :)

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2015, 02:17:14 pm »
I haven't heard of no-intro. That is definitely possible, but we have to make sure that it supports as many ROMS as possible.

This sounds like a really good idea. Hopefully we can pick this back up now that it's been on hold for a while.

enodr

« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2015, 03:11:03 pm »
Good news is that I have mednafen pce_fast running with command line loading :) (in fact all cores compiled fine, but I suspect most of them are too slow for the gcw).

mednafen.cfg is versatile enough not to require ugly hacks in the source code. As I only have the gcw for 2 days I still have to figure how to make an opk (seems easy) but I don't know if I can pack it with the .cfg file which must be loaded from /media/data/local/home/.mednafen

About no-intro: no-intro.org - it's like goodxxx romsets but without all the hacked roms. Only the most original known dumps. If someone doesn't have the no-intro romset you can still comply to our rules and just rename the roms. I am still thinking of what requires the less efforts to have something nice and clean running quickly. It doesn't mean I cannot work on the scrapper but I am trying to set realistic goals;

I will open a github so that we can commit files quickly if you are ok. I am not sure we are allowed to host boxart on github but we can start with the xml files and deliver the .png as an archive elsewhere.

David Knight

« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2015, 11:23:01 pm »
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:28:27 pm by David Knight »

David Knight

« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2015, 12:32:19 am »
mednafen.cfg is versatile enough not to require ugly hacks in the source code. As I only have the gcw for 2 days I still have to figure how to make an opk (seems easy) but I don't know if I can pack it with the .cfg file which must be loaded from /media/data/local/home/.mednafen

I'd be surprised if mednafen doesn't auto-generate it's own configuration file.

If mednafen or users don't need to change the configuration settings then you can change the path to ./mednafen.cfg and place it in the root of your opk. Beware that this is a read only directory though.

If you're going to do this is would be better to check for a cfg file in $HOME/.mednafen first then  fall back to the cfg file in the opk if none other is found.

enodr

« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2015, 07:24:50 pm »
David, thanks for all the advices. I am having problems with a strange screen tearing on the pce_fast core. I will open a mednafen thread not to mix up things here.

Note that I should have more time next week in order to clean up things and work on EmulationStation.

enodr

« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2015, 09:03:49 pm »
I made some small modifications to the theme. Here is the result listing PC Engine games launched then through mednafen pce_fast. Works great so far :)

I am using the EmulationStation opk posted in the first thread and just edited the xml files to reach this result. I will commit all files on github soon.

David Knight

« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2015, 08:21:29 pm »
Nice, have you tested this with large numbers of roms?

enodr

« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2015, 08:24:07 pm »
I have loaded the complete neogeo set and it works fine. I am trying to do the same with the PCE set.

I need to figure out how to fix fba opk (see the fba thread in release). Maybe you have a clue? Adding %f in the .deskop forces the file browser (found out thanks to you and genesis gx sources!) but that's not what I want. I want to launch the opk with arguments if there are some and no argument is there isn't any. From what I have seen in the opkrun source, maybe this is not possible?

David Knight

« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2015, 10:44:22 pm »
Assuming "%f" works you should just be able to do something like this:

Code: [Select]
GAMENAME=bomberman94.rom
opkrun pce.opk $GAMENAME

You could also create two desktop files, the default one (default.gcw0.desktop) with "Exec=pce %f", and another one without the %f.

Then if no rom is selected you can use the -m option flag to select another desktop file, eg:

Code: [Select]
opkrun -m norom.gcw0.desktop pce.opk
Of course this is untested so it may need some further adjustment to work properly.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:09:41 pm by David Knight »

enodr

« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2015, 11:23:32 pm »
Really great that's exactly what I need. Two desktop files is great :) I will give a try tomorrow!

Btw if you have an android device I suggest that you try GameSome frontend. I uses the OpenVGDB offline db to detect games and download artbox. It works great. The frontent still has some bugs but that nothing compared to the previous version.

enodr

« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2015, 05:45:10 pm »
David, your solution of adding an alternate .desktop works fine.

There are only 2 minor drawbacks:
- you have now an additional icon in gpmenu2x
- I need to pass additionnal parameters to fbasdl.dge and unfortunately opkrun does not support %s modifiers to pass params (enforces %f %F %u and %U for filenames or urls). It means I have to hardcode them in the .desktop.

For example for neogeo I want vsync, so the .desktop becomes: Exec=fbasdl.dge %f --vsync
But other platforms supported by fba requires other flags.

If it's possible to hide the icon in gpmenu2x maybe that's an acceptable solution to have several .desktop files. At least it's a better solution than flashing the gcw just to update opkrun!!!

Just as as side note the patch for opkrun (https://github.com/gcwnow/libopk/blob/master/opkrun.c) would be easy to make.

Edit: I will have the same problem with mednafen which requires custom flags and that's a pity to hardcode them in the .desktop while we can just use emulationstation es_systems.cfg config file to pass custom flags.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:02:14 pm by enodr »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic