• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Emulation Station  (Read 67228 times)

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
Re: Emulation Station
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2015, 08:23:02 pm »
Ignore this post. I screwed up.

No music or videos section. We'll have an apps section, which will list both players. Original poll is back up now.

I did say apps section lol

BTW I know its jumping the gun a bit but ES supports sound effects as well I've seen a video somewhere

If there's an apps section, both GMU and OldPlay would be supported. Jeez, I'm not thinking. It's been a long day...

Poll removed. No polls needed right now.

---

Cyg, the detailed view will show the list, cover art, developer, and publisher. We can show description, etc. if requested, but it'll need to be shown on another screen.
(I at least want to show the cover art, though. So that is a must, if anything.)

---

I need a .svg logo for the following entries: GCW-Zero, Apps, and Game Engines. (GCW-Zero will show games only. Apps will show other programs like OldPlay.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:26:35 pm by xXFrostXx »
Dingoonity is the place to be!

hi-ban

« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2015, 12:19:03 am »
Sections and sub-sections as in how? Post about this in the development thread. I'd rather not take over the GX thread.
ES will be an alternative to GMenu. It'll list ROMS, ISOS, games, apps, ports... everything you have. Your only need for GMenu would be to change your GCW-Zero's settings.

i mean, this:

No music or videos section. We'll have an apps section, which will list both players. Original poll is back up now.

what if we don't want apps or games sections to be shown in ES? (some people may want ES just for emulators).
Will we be able to remove them by editing the theme files?

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2015, 12:25:30 am »
Sections and sub-sections as in how? Post about this in the development thread. I'd rather not take over the GX thread.
ES will be an alternative to GMenu. It'll list ROMS, ISOS, games, apps, ports... everything you have. Your only need for GMenu would be to change your GCW-Zero's settings.

i mean, this:

what if we don't want apps or games sections to be shown in ES? (some people may want ES just for emulators).
Will we be able to remove them by editing the theme files?

No. Whatever you do, don't touch the theme unless you know what you're doing. Otherwise, you could completely ruin the theme and cause ES to crash the moment it starts. ???
You can find the APPS entry in the configuration file and remove it. Then, ES will no longer look for apps to list.

In the QUIT menu for ES, I think we'll just have RESTART and SHUTDOWN. No QUIT option. Since ES has turned into "the new GMenu", it would make sense for it to take over. The only way to exit will be Power+Select.

---

Ruffnuts, I just noticed your post about sounds in ES. I do plan to add them, but I need to figure out how. I'm looking into it.
To take sounds even further, I could add calm music like you hear on the menu of the Wii and Gamecube, but I'll let a poll decide that later.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:17:12 am by xXFrostXx »

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2015, 12:27:54 am »
Here are some more previews of backgrounds you'll see in ES. I'm gathering up some nice HD backgrounds.

GCW-Zero Games

GCW-Zero Apps

GCW-Zero Ports

And, some more emulator backgrounds.

---

EDIT: Maybe I'm just being impatient, but I may ask for a third person to join this endeavor. :(
I'm working on the theme and XML files, like I've said before, and com64 takes care of the source code.
Although...
I haven't heard from him, and the current source I have is the one that he posted. (His schedule has been busy.)

I'd like to get this released this month, if possible, and therefore may need an extra hand.
All that we have left to implement is a pop-up keyboard for metadata editing, and the metadata scraper itself. Then, fix a few details, and we're good to go.

Everything that has been discussed lately on here has to do with XML, which is progressing fast. But the source code has remained untouched, and so I'm hoping to find some extra help on that end in com64's absence.

Com64 mentioned using this for the metadata scraper, or writing the scraper function in c++: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-development/qt-4-8-5-for-gcw-zero/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:28:40 am by xXFrostXx »

Malleus

« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2015, 08:50:11 am »
In regards to the poll.

I would like to have Battery shown (as minimally as possible to keep as much screen for ES as possible).
Date/Time is not a factor as I can see that on most other gadgets if needed :)

kaio

• All about GCW-Zero on Russian + Repo
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2015, 08:56:14 am »
In regards to the poll.

I would like to have Battery shown (as minimally as possible to keep as much screen for ES as possible).
Time is very important information!
Sometimes you play game and you don't know what the new day begins and it's time to go to the work. =)
GCW-Zero | JXD S602

Malleus

« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2015, 11:18:28 am »
In regards to the poll.

Time is very important information!
Sometimes you play game and you don't know what the new day begins and it's time to go to the work. =)
:) Correct, but you DO have the option of say every clock in the world and most gadgets to see the time, set an alarm etc. remaining Battery in the GCW0... only 1 place.

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2015, 03:23:53 pm »
If we do implement time and battery, they would likely be shown on the main menu, under QUIT (where you restart or shutdown your GCW-Zero).

As for time, we would probably make a switch to a 12 hour clock.

zear

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2015, 07:15:40 pm »
It's worth noting that the claim from the poll above:
ES is becoming "the new gmenu"
... is not an official statement of the team maintaining the OpenDingux rootfs. EmulationStation is lacking several key elements required for a full-fledged menu frontend, such as, but not limited to, extracting metadata from the OPKs for the application name, description, icon and category; or supporting OPK scan for external storages. It is thus not becoming a gmenu2x replacement, in terms of official firmware updates.

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2015, 07:24:33 pm »
It's worth noting that the claim from the poll above:
ES is becoming "the new gmenu"
... is not an official statement of the team maintaining the OpenDingux rootfs. EmulationStation is lacking several key elements required for a full-fledged menu frontend, such as, but not limited to, extracting metadata from the OPKs for the application name, description, icon and category; or supporting OPK scan for external storages. It is thus not becoming a gmenu2x replacement, in terms of official firmware updates.

Hey Zear. :)
I didn't state that it was to be implemented in the OS, so I apologize if that's what some people had previously assumed.
The poll above states that it can act as the new GMenu, because it is a front end for GMenu.

Though, it would be nice to have the option to change the theme on the Zero so you can switch to a look like ES provides. I know a few other people currently working on front ends as well. :P

Ziz

• http://ziz.gp2x.de
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2015, 08:40:06 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier to implement a similar behaviour like ES in gmenu2x than improving ES?

However, maybe we should observe the KISS principle: Two applications for two different use cases. ;)
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar. Wash

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2015, 08:46:34 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier to implement a similar behaviour like ES in gmenu2x than improving ES?

It would be nice to have an alternate ES styled menu within the OS, but seeing how neither com64 nor myself are part of the Opendingux team... it will need to be a front end.

zear

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2015, 09:12:57 pm »
but seeing how neither com64 nor myself are part of the Opendingux team... it will need to be a front end.
It's not that you aren't part of OpenDingux team - the original author of Gmenu2X wasn't either. It is simply that Emulation Station is lacking in features to be considered an official replacement.

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2015, 09:21:41 pm »
but seeing how neither com64 nor myself are part of the Opendingux team... it will need to be a front end.
It's not that you aren't part of OpenDingux team - the original author of Gmenu2X wasn't either. It is simply that Emulation Station is lacking in features to be considered an official replacement.

Well, we'll be sure to add those features and make ES the best that it can be. ;)

Ziz

• http://ziz.gp2x.de
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2015, 11:16:46 pm »

Well, we'll be sure to add those features and make ES the best that it can be. ;)
Who is "we"?
Just curious...
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar. Wash

hi-ban

« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2015, 11:40:10 pm »
Who is "we"?
Just curious...

Com64 and I are teaming up on this project.

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2015, 11:51:39 pm »
Who is "we"?
Just curious...

Com64 and I are teaming up on this project.

Yeah... I feel like I'm taking the spotlight because I'm most active on the thread.  ???
Don't forget, this is a team project. :P

ruffnutts

« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2015, 08:50:18 am »
Who likes this theme well smart

http://aloshi.com/emulationstation

ruffnutts

nattyebola

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2015, 01:33:44 pm »
pretty good, just miss the arcade theme

xXFrostXx (OP)

• * Former Staff
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2015, 02:31:20 am »
Just a bit of an update. :)
I will be inactive this week because of college work, but I am still at work on the theme and configuration file.

Main porting of the source code has been temporarily halted until com64 comes back or I find some extra help.

Post a new topic