Author Topic: Announcing new, completely redesigned 3D printed DPAD and ABXY buttons  (Read 50235 times)

Eliwood_san

Re: Announcing new, completely redesigned 3D printed DPAD and ABXY buttons
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2016, 01:40:29 am »
Thanks @Surkow in the next  week i will have the money to buy all the accesories i need to my gcw zero,i i will send it to a local repair here in M?xico.

ruffnutts

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2016, 08:59:34 am »
Are the buttons ?2.90 each?

Xaijiqq

RupeeClock

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2016, 02:17:07 pm »
I recently ordered the replacement buttons, opting to go for the same blue d-pad and Super Famicom face buttons as the press release pictures.

Although I found someone else to help install the buttons for me, installation was not too difficult and the end result is wonderful.

Aside from simply looking snazzy, the controls are much much more responsive and comfortable than before.
The d-pad membrane didn't need replacing or anything, using the same part all kinds of SNES, NES, Gameboy and Megadrive games I enjoy playing are far more enjoyable now, and I'm finally getting a lot of use out of the device compared to the past year or so since I got it.

Really, really happy with it.

Quickman

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2016, 07:20:53 pm »
I recently ordered the replacement buttons, opting to go for the same blue d-pad and Super Famicom face buttons as the press release pictures.

Although I found someone else to help install the buttons for me, installation was not too difficult and the end result is wonderful.

Aside from simply looking snazzy, the controls are much much more responsive and comfortable than before.
The d-pad membrane didn't need replacing or anything, using the same part all kinds of SNES, NES, Gameboy and Megadrive games I enjoy playing are far more enjoyable now, and I'm finally getting a lot of use out of the device compared to the past year or so since I got it.

Dude! THANK YOU  so much for the update and photos! It really helps me in my decision to modify my zero as opposed to just upgrading to these buttons/D pads.
Earlier in this thread someone gave it a rating like this:
- Original --> 5/10
- Game Boy Pad --> 7/10
- New DPad --> 8/10
 Also, buttons are a better feel, but too small For me overall.

You say that you're very happy overall with the upgrades, but can you chime in using this same d-pad rating scale as he did? And what would you say specifically about the buttons (good and bad)? Thank you so much!!! @RupeeClock

RupeeClock

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2016, 08:35:45 pm »
Dude! THANK YOU  so much for the update and photos! It really helps me in my decision to modify my zero as opposed to just upgrading to these buttons/D pads.
Earlier in this thread someone gave it a rating like this:
- Original --> 5/10
- Game Boy Pad --> 7/10
- New DPad --> 8/10
 Also, buttons are a better feel, but too small For me overall.

You say that you're very happy overall with the upgrades, but can you chime in using this same d-pad rating scale as he did? And what would you say specifically about the buttons (good and bad)? Thank you so much!!! @RupeeClock

It's overall a great deal better.
Although I did get some replica Game Boy DMG d-pad and buttons before, I never got around to installing them unfortunately.

So before the d-pad was squeaky and unresponsive. I had tried the silicone grease treatment but it only helped marginally. The face buttons for quite a while would snap against the casing, making it difficult to press them in especially when pressing multiple buttons simultaneously. This was most prominent with the A button, although eventually this stopped.
One of the most aggressively annoying problems with the d-pad was how it wouldn't register pressing down properly, if you try making a quarter-circle motion from left or right. It actually made it very difficult to play some games, even things like Tetris as the Tetromino would fly off in the wrong direction whilst trying to drop the piece.

After the d-pad and face button mod, I don't get any such problems like this any longer.
The same membranes are being used, but where the buttons are solid, slightly taller as to be less flush fit, and marginally more narrow, everything is perfectly responsive.
As the d-pad is concerned the pivot is comfortable. It can take slightly more effort to do a quarter-circle motion than some other d-pads but it does register correctly.
I like to throw Tetris DX sessions at controllers or devices to see how they shape up, and these 3D printed buttons are absolutely up to the job.

I would've said that before the original d-pad was unacceptable. Whilst the new d-pad is not perfect, it's actually pretty great and more than adequate for my gaming needs.
The face buttons are also good, they are a little small but nothing I have any difficulty using in the heat of gaming.
I've seen that some people opt to enlarge the button holes and install larger face buttons, but simply having less flush-fit buttons is sufficient.

Quickman

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2016, 08:53:39 pm »
 Thank you! Fantastic summary! Really appreciate your opinions and knowledge! Maybe not on the same rating scale in comparison to other mods for the D pad on the GCW zero, but what would you still rate the D Pad & buttons  on a scale 1-10?

Buttons: 1-10
Dpad: 1-10

Thanks again so much.
 I play more action games like MegaMan's and shooters, however your descriptions were very helpful. The problem with my D pad isn't necessarily sticking either, it's almost that it sits to low and doesn't register nearly as well   In comparison to my favorite controllers, without at least trying hard to do so. A bit too loose as well.

RupeeClock

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2016, 09:22:08 pm »
Thank you! Fantastic summary! Really appreciate your opinions and knowledge! Maybe not on the same rating scale in comparison to other mods for the D pad on the GCW zero, but what would you still rate the D Pad & buttons  on a scale 1-10?

Thanks again so much.
 I play more action games like MegaMan's and shooters, however your descriptions were very helpful. The problem with my D pad isn't necessarily sticking either, it's almost that it sits to low and doesn't register nearly as well   In comparison to my favorite controllers, without at least trying hard to do so. A bit too loose as well.

Keeping in mind that my system was a Kickstarter launch model.

Original Buttons: 6/10
Original D-pad 4/10

3D printed Buttons: 8/10
3D printed D-pad: 8/10

I gave Rockman 4 Minus Infinity a quick test-drive on FCEUX. I miss having the option to map player 2 buttons to the shoulder buttons, which is used for quick weapon switching, but it's otherwise more than up to the job of playing it.
Dunno if the heatwave effect in Pharaoh Man's stage works properly though.

Quickman

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2016, 11:18:05 pm »

Thanks again so much.

Keeping in mind that my system was a Kickstarter launch model.

Original Buttons: 6/10
Original D-pad 4/10

3D printed Buttons: 8/10
3D printed D-pad: 8/10

I gave Rockman 4 Minus Infinity a quick test-drive on FCEUX. I miss having the option to map player 2 buttons to the shoulder buttons, which is used for quick weapon switching, but it's otherwise more than up to the job of playing it.
Dunno if the heatwave effect in Pharaoh Man's stage works properly though.

Thank you thank you thank you! Much appreciated

Quickman

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2016, 11:31:57 pm »
@RupeeClock  and thank you for being very honest on the original D pad/buttons 1 to 10 point scale. I thought I was crazy Or the only one that thought the D pad was about 4/10 as well. So I feel that we're on the same page  and trust your opinion even more so!
  I don't have any sticking issues with the D pad, I just still feel that it's a 4/10. Also, sorry last question:

- are the buttons and D pad less "hollow" feeling? I hope that makes sense. That's something that really bothers me about the originals as well.

RupeeClock

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2016, 10:10:49 am »
@RupeeClock  and thank you for being very honest on the original D pad/buttons 1 to 10 point scale. I thought I was crazy Or the only one that thought the D pad was about 4/10 as well. So I feel that we're on the same page  and trust your opinion even more so!
  I don't have any sticking issues with the D pad, I just still feel that it's a 4/10. Also, sorry last question:

- are the buttons and D pad less "hollow" feeling? I hope that makes sense. That's something that really bothers me about the originals as well.

The original d-pad and buttons are in fact hollow.
http://wiki.surkow.com/File:Gcwzero-parts-measurements.jpg

The 3D printed replacement parts are completely solid however, they're nice and solid and don't feel floaty.

Inertia

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2016, 01:04:57 pm »

Really cool looking, but to achieve this SFC button theme, you must have bought 4 sets of unique color, am I right?

THX

RupeeClock

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2016, 03:20:41 pm »
Really cool looking, but to achieve this SFC button theme, you must have bought 4 sets of unique color, am I right?

THX

That's right, each button color is sold separately.

Due to the 3D printing process where you make something layer by layer, but not being able to specify the print orientation during production, they print the buttons out in a shape that makes sure at one button will be printed in the correct orientation.

In the case of the d-pad, which part is in the right or wrong orientation is pretty obvious. In the case of the face buttons though to be honest the buttons are indistinguishable, I couldn't tell which one was printed which way up or sideways.
So I think you could get away with ordering two colors and using every button shipped, if you wanted to just use two colors for A/B and X/Y.

Eliwood_san

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2016, 05:46:35 am »

THX

That's right, each button color is sold separately.

Due to the 3D printing process where you make something layer by layer, but not being able to specify the print orientation during production, they print the buttons out in a shape that makes sure at one button will be printed in the correct orientation.

In the case of the d-pad, which part is in the right or wrong orientation is pretty obvious. In the case of the face buttons though to be honest the buttons are indistinguishable, I couldn't tell which one was printed which way up or sideways.
So I think you could get away with ordering two colors and using every button shipped, if you wanted to just use two colors for A/B and X/Y.

Thanks for sharing this information well i made a huge mistake in my order,i only order a dpad and one button color xDD..I thought it was four buttons.It doesn matter  i will buy the other 3 buttons missed in my next order to buy goodies on Internet.

thefifthgiant

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2016, 12:47:46 pm »
Thinking about placing an order for these, considering the positive feedback so far. Can anyone who has received the parts give feedback on how well the material would accept paint or ink? I would like for the buttons to have the letters on them instead of being blank.

I am assuming it might not really work well, but in that case I would be fine leaving them blank.

opt2not

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2016, 09:54:52 pm »
Ordered my set recently.  Waiting for it to arrive, but I'll post some pictures once I have it in-hand and installed.

The CAD is really suffering right now though. This better be a significant upgrade, by the sounds of what you guys have been experiencing, 'cause $47 for these parts was a tough pill to swallow.

Quickman

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2016, 07:10:18 pm »
Ordered my set recently.  Waiting for it to arrive, but I'll post some pictures once I have it in-hand and installed.

The CAD is really suffering right now though. This better be a significant upgrade, by the sounds of what you guys have been experiencing, 'cause $47 for these parts was a tough pill to swallow.

Would love to see someone do a quick video with their thoughts.

opt2not

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2016, 10:17:01 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't really have a decent camera to make videos, but I can take some photos and write my thoughts down.

I also ended up ordering these switches for the Start and Select buttons because I can't stand how insanely loud the current ones are. Especially when lot of GCW software relies on pressing both at the same time, it's especially annoying for night-time bed play when the Mrs. is laying beside me.  I'm hoping these will be quieter, and if that fails I'll try to dampen the buttons somehow.  Figured if I'm upgrading the other buttons I might as well try to tackle the Start and Select ones.

thefifthgiant

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2016, 11:40:47 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't really have a decent camera to make videos, but I can take some photos and write my thoughts down.

I also ended up ordering these switches for the Start and Select buttons because I can't stand how insanely loud the current ones are. Especially when lot of GCW software relies on pressing both at the same time, it's especially annoying for night-time bed play when the Mrs. is laying beside me.  I'm hoping these will be quieter, and if that fails I'll try to dampen the buttons somehow.  Figured if I'm upgrading the other buttons I might as well try to tackle the Start and Select ones.

I'm interested in hearing how those new switches work out, because the noise has been bugging me too!

Warrior

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2016, 02:48:34 am »
Went with the White/Red Combo.
Buttons feel, play, and look great.

Any chance we could get new start/select buttons???

A word of caution, as others have noted, be VERY careful when opening the case and extracting the motherboard...
The wires are very fragile.
The power toggle is very fragile.  It is a very tiny plastic lever, and (take it from me) it snaps before you even realize it.
Make sure you lift the board out at an angle to avoid snapping it.

If you do snap it, the psp 1000/2000/3000 replacement switch is an exact match.
If only the plastic tab snaps, just pop the metal cover and replace the plastic part, no need to desolder/resolder new switch.

http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-power-switch-module-for-psp-1000-2000-3000-145261#.VqbcCiorKUk

Hope this helps.

Post a new topic