Author Topic: AAAA (Adamant Armor Affection Adventure) Release 10 (final)  (Read 2687 times)

com64 (OP)

• 0x64.ca
Working on a port of Quasist's game AAAA to the GCW.

Progress so far:
Controls: works.
Video: works (with fog disabled.)
Audio: works.
Save file: works.
Haptic feedback: works, but needs firmware fix for GCW. You can test on PC.
G-Sensor: works, you can also test it on PC with a joystick.

TODO:
Once haptic driver is fixed in kernel, rebuild with haptic enabled.

repo here: https://github.com/munchluxe63/aaaa-gcw0.git

Build instructions:
Code: [Select]
git clone https://github.com/munchluxe63/aaaa-gcw0.git
cd aaaa-gcw0
make opk
For PC build: (you also need libshake since only the GCW lib is included)
env PLATFORM=PC makeRun on PC with: (use arguments to specify gamepad joystick axes on joy0, or neglect if you don't have a gamepad)
cd ./opk_build && ./aaaa 0 1 2 3
Libshake works with the PC build (enable through settings), but buggy on GCW. (Thanks, Obama. Also thank Zear & jxv for libshake.)
G-Sensor works with the PC build, emulated as a joystick. (it's a joystick as far as the GCW is concerned.)

OPK:
"final" release 10 available here

Read full readme here:
readme.txt
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:27:27 pm by com64 »

Senor Quack

Re: AAAA (Adamant Armor Affection Adventure) Port to GCW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 11:42:18 am »
Cool, I'd love to play this on GCW.

While I didn't fix your texture problem, I did notice a couple issues while quickly glancing over the code.. I sent you a pull request. You might want to use valgrind on your PC build to see if there are any memory bugs. Also, try compiling with -Wall and you probably want to be sitting down when you read the compiler output hehe

-Wall will help you see problems like this:
https://github.com/munchluxe63/aaaa-gcw0/blob/master/render.c#L286-L307    <-- Side effects on an index var that is used here on both sides of the equals sign is not good coding practice. Which side of the equals sign gets executed first? It's undefined behavior and in a very critical section of code, too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:21:18 pm by Senor Quack »

Aeter

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 12:52:17 pm »
Is this ported from the Caanoo?
~cucullus non facit monachum~

com64 (OP)

• 0x64.ca
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 10:58:08 pm »
Is this ported from the Caanoo?

Source code has defines for GP2X/Caanoo/Pandora/PC

Cool, I'd love to play this on GCW.

While I didn't fix your texture problem, I did notice a couple issues while quickly glancing over the code.. I sent you a pull request. You might want to use valgrind on your PC build to see if there are any memory bugs. Also, try compiling with -Wall and you probably want to be sitting down when you read the compiler output hehe

-Wall will help you see problems like this:
https://github.com/munchluxe63/aaaa-gcw0/blob/master/render.c#L286-L307    <-- Side effects on an index var that is used here on both sides of the equals sign is not good coding practice. Which side of the equals sign gets executed first? It's undefined behavior and in a very critical section of code, too.

Wow, Quasist's code is really messy... or maybe the source code I found is old anyway. Thanks!

Edit: Turns out eliminating the race conditions by placing the ++ operation after the lines of code has solved it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:32:07 am by com64 »

Quickman

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 12:42:43 am »
 Awesome!

com64 (OP)

• 0x64.ca
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 08:49:55 pm »
UPDATE:

Testing release is posted in OP.

Strauberry

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 03:36:43 am »
The game plays great! No noticable sound or video issues so far, though the camera sensitivity (which thankfully, you can tone down) and the buttons on the GCW not matching with the controls described in the game did throw me off guard a bit.
:D Thank you for your excellent work on this port!
"Might as well, y'know? Never know, y'know? Hey... You know me I'm Toby Sand"

com64 (OP)

• 0x64.ca
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 11:27:00 am »
The game plays great! No noticable sound or video issues so far, though the camera sensitivity (which thankfully, you can tone down) and the buttons on the GCW not matching with the controls described in the game did throw me off guard a bit.
:D Thank you for your excellent work on this port!

Haven't had a chance to test my latest changes, but glad it works!

Guess I'll add a manual to the OPK explaining controls, or edit the subtitles. Editing the voice narration is a little questionable, but possible...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:29:51 am by com64 »

com64 (OP)

• 0x64.ca
Re: AAAA (Adamant Armor Affection Adventure) Port [Now with glorious libshake]
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 08:31:30 pm »
Bump because I made progress. Check it out, eh.

Strauberry

I'm having some trouble with the Gyro sensor, and while it may just be my GCW in particular, tilting it to the left and right is fine, but tilting back and forth does almost nothing unless I turn the whole GCW upside down. By default, my point of view is as if the third person camera has been moved upside down and backwards.

EDIT: After resetting the game, it is now working as intended. Not sure how I fixed it, but hopefully the issue doesn't come up again
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:07:18 pm by Strauberry »
"Might as well, y'know? Never know, y'know? Hey... You know me I'm Toby Sand"

com64 (OP)

• 0x64.ca
Re: AAAA (Adamant Armor Affection Adventure) Test release 8 (now with gsensor)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 12:47:03 pm »
I'm having some trouble with the Gyro sensor, and while it may just be my GCW in particular, tilting it to the left and right is fine, but tilting back and forth does almost nothing unless I turn the whole GCW upside down. By default, my point of view is as if the third person camera has been moved upside down and backwards.

EDIT: After resetting the game, it is now working as intended. Not sure how I fixed it, but hopefully the issue doesn't come up again
The gsensor centre point is reset to the position the console is in when you launch it, and you can reset it at any time by engaging the power switch once; make sure you read the manual, maybe I'll make it clearer.

Post a new topic