Hi, I have been working on porting RetroArch to the gcw0. Basically I simply wrote a Makefile using the sdl drivers and built several of the libretro cores using gcw0's toolchain.
Today, I started testing each core with one or two roms to see how they run. The cores were tested with the smooth filter disabled, no scaling and no threaded video. Here are some results:
- fceumm: tested mega man 2, runs fullspeed as expected.
- Nestopia: tested mega man 2, runs fullspeed most of the time with minor hickups.
- gambatte: tested metroid 2, runs fullspeed.
- vbam: tested the hively player demo, runs slow. The gpsp core will run better but it hasn't been released.
- nxengine: runs slow (fullspeed with threaded video option)
- snes9x-next: tested megaman x and chrono trigger, runs slow, very slow actually. Using threaded video helps a lot but it was still far from fullspeed.
- fba: Tested street fighter iii - new generation, runs slow. Marvel super heroes runs better, but still slow.
- mame078: tested snow bros, runs fullspeed
. I guess it will depend on the game here.
- mednafen_pce: tested salamander, runs fullspeed.
- mednafen_wswan: tested final fantasy i, runs very slow. Super robot wars runs fullspeed.
- mednafen_npc: tested king of fighters, runs fullspeed.
- picodrive: tested contra hard corps, runs fullspeed.
- gensplusx: tested contra hard corps, runs slow most of the time.
Ok, first sorry for not putting more accurate results (fps, exact options, etc) but I didn't have much time to test the roms. Retroarch logs an Average monitor Hz value at the exit, maybe I should post that value. For instance, sfiii got a 20 Hz value and Mega Man 2 got 60 Hz.
Threaded video option helps a lot, for instance nxengine core runs fullspeed with that option enabled. But it doesn't help some cores that much, like fba and snes9x-next. Actually, I was expecting better performance in snes9x-next but I guess it's a bit heavy for the zero, since it's based on snes9x 1.51 and uses the accurate apu. And I have to point that retroarch doesn't use frameskip and will never do. The good thing about it is that, when a core runs fullspeed, it runs beautifully.
I did not changed anything from the sources, simply wrote the necessary makefiles to build retroarch and the cores, so there might be room for improvements. Using the GL driver might help and we could really get some performance boost in all cores if the cpu could be overclocked.
Anyway, I'm not releasing anything, since I haven't properly contacted the retroarch project members, and because I don't really feel happy with the results. My main interest was having accurate and fast snes emulation on the console.
But if any serious dev would like to properly work on the port, please pm me.