Author Topic: Odroid Go  (Read 28618 times)

kfchow

Re: Odroid Go
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 06:43:08 am »
I ordered mine.  Should arrive soon hopefully.

I wish the UI allowed for boxart.  That would make this perfect.
Handhelds:
Lynx, GameGear, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, GB Boy Color, GBA, GBA SP AGS-001, Gameboy Micro, DS Phat, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, New 3DS XL, PSP 2000, PSP Go, PS Vita, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Color, Coolboy RS-97, Coolboy RS-90, GPD XD 64gb, ODROID-GO, PocketSprite

TXIDRIVR

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 10:38:46 pm »
Got one.

Everything is good except one thing : LCD screen run at 30FPS... not 60FPS (confirmed by the developer, didnt see anything about it on their website). So you get frameskip in games, especially in GB/GBC.

Can youj link to developer talking about this? I know theres frame skip in the emulators but i cant find any reference to the screen fps
Here you go : https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/go-play/issues/55

kfchow

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2018, 05:14:24 am »
I ordered mine.  Should arrive soon hopefully.

I wish the UI allowed for boxart.  That would make this perfect.

Looks like someone is making a custom launcher with boxart

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=158&t=31757
Handhelds:
Lynx, GameGear, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, GB Boy Color, GBA, GBA SP AGS-001, Gameboy Micro, DS Phat, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, New 3DS XL, PSP 2000, PSP Go, PS Vita, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Color, Coolboy RS-97, Coolboy RS-90, GPD XD 64gb, ODROID-GO, PocketSprite

lemmywinks

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2018, 01:18:08 pm »

That's pretty killed any enthusiasm I had for this, in 2018 a ?40+ device that can't run Tetris without frameskip is not really acceptable. Are there any plans to source a different screen for a later revision?

Realistically all I need is 8 bit emulation so the GB Pocket format is fine, probably just better for me to wait for the RS-90 to be hacked.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
ASUS TUF, Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX, Toshiba 3480ct
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

kfchow

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 03:53:04 am »

That's pretty killed any enthusiasm I had for this, in 2018 a ?40+ device that can't run Tetris without frameskip is not really acceptable. Are there any plans to source a different screen for a later revision?

Realistically all I need is 8 bit emulation so the GB Pocket format is fine, probably just better for me to wait for the RS-90 to be hacked.

I have the RS-90, RS-97, Odroid-Go and alot of other handhelds.  I must admit the Odroid-Go at the moment is my favourite handheld to play NES, GB, GBC games.  The emulation is not perfect.  The framerate is good but there is tearing on certain roms and certain roms don't load at all.  I'm sure this is all software and can be resolved in a future update (which it looks like its being actively developed).
Handhelds:

TXIDRIVR

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 07:32:21 pm »

+1, same opinion, word for word ! A revision is not a bad idea, I will sent them a message about it.

Edit : Done. Actual picture of us waiting for the answer... https://imgur.com/a/rlkiTwg

I have the RS-90, RS-97, Odroid-Go and alot of other handhelds.  I must admit the Odroid-Go at the moment is my favourite handheld to play NES, GB, GBC games.  The emulation is not perfect.  The framerate is good but there is tearing on certain roms and certain roms don't load at all.  I'm sure this is all software and can be resolved in a future update (which it looks like its being actively developed).

No, it have nothing to do with software. If the screen is 30FPS, it cant display 60FPS. Same as VHS tape, you cant play them on a DVD player !
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:18:04 pm by TXIDRIVR »

lemmywinks

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 10:46:35 pm »
A bit dishonest not mentioning it on the website IMO, I came very close to pulling the trigger on one of these last week and would have been gutted to find out I'd blown ?40 + shipping on something that drops frames because of a ridiculous hardware choice before it was even in stock with the supplier. Luckily I realised I had a ton of handhelds and bought a vintage road bike to rebuild instead, much better choice!

EDIT - Why does the pound sign keep showing as a question mark on here? It looks fine when typing a message, as soon as you post it it changes!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 10:48:47 pm by lemmywinks »
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
ASUS TUF, Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX, Toshiba 3480ct
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Jutleys

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 03:40:39 pm »
Atari 2600 & 7800 emulators are out.

lordhardware

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 04:20:11 pm »
Update on the screentearing / framerate issue thats a little annoying.

Emulators are apparently all running at 60fps.

SPI (display connector) can only run at up to 45fps with the current drivers written for this architecture.

The above wouldnt be an issue, but there is no information coming back from the display at all, so no way to sync the display timings to the emulator so tearing will occur even if the screen WAS running at 60.

Id also like to see a hardware refresh with a display that can sync.

Id be happy with 30 and 50% dropped frames on these 8bit systems if the display was cricrisp.

Soul_Est

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 09:14:42 am »
It would be great to have 60 FPS except to do so would require that the display be connected to via DPI. This requires using way more I/O pins from the ESP32 than SPI making it either difficult or infeasible to pull off.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:55:47 pm by Soul_Est »

SONY

• !
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2018, 04:04:29 pm »
Does this have enough buttons for GBA emu?
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

Jim Goose

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2018, 12:23:31 am »
LOL! Gba emulation at like 100x100 res.
Handheld Collection:

PocketC.H.I.P.
RG350

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2018, 04:01:45 pm »
The ODroid-GO  has:
  • dpad
  • A
  • B
  • menu
  • volume
  • start
  • select

No shoulder buttons.

The screen resolution would be fine (it's 320x240), but I don't think the ODroid-GO would be powerful enough, never mind the number of buttons.

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go/odroid_go

Strugglemeat

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 09:28:42 am »
My son dropped (threw, lol) my Odroid GO on the floor and now it won't turn on. Nothing appears damaged, kind of surprising since it's a solid state device, but it is now non-operational. Too lazy to open the thing up.

Even though NES isn't really my favorite system, the fact that a good amount of games I wanted to play (Taito Flintstones platformers) didn't work at all was a definite negative. Also, when I played SMS, the screen seemed to be cramped or something.

Maybe this issue was fixed in the latest fw, I didn't bother updating to the fw that has preview screens.

All in all, the coolest aspect of this system is the ESP32 processor and its very low power consumption.

davidgilmour (OP)

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 09:15:54 pm »
Update on the screentearing / framerate issue thats a little annoying.

Emulators are apparently all running at 60fps.

SPI (display connector) can only run at up to 45fps with the current drivers written for this architecture.

The above wouldnt be an issue, but there is no information coming back from the display at all, so no way to sync the display timings to the emulator so tearing will occur even if the screen WAS running at 60.

Id also like to see a hardware refresh with a display that can sync.

Id be happy with 30 and 50% dropped frames on these 8bit systems if the display was cricrisp.

How is the screentearing 6 months later?

lordhardware

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2019, 06:11:18 am »
How is the screentearing 6 months later?

Honestly a lot better. Performance has increased quite a bit for the existing emulators.

There's a SNES emulator now that's hitting 15fps which is obviously not playable, but is incredibly impressive.

KING_CHODE

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2019, 11:27:19 pm »
Got my kit in the mail today, assembled it and spent about an hour with it.

My initial impression is that I'm much more excited to get to hacking the hw/sw of the device than I am to actually play games on it. Playing games works, but seems to have a variety of minor annoyances that others have mentioned in depth. It seems that if you just want to play games and don't plan on compiling your own firmware/modding the board etc then there are a variety of other handhelds that would be a better choice.

Will probably give a more fleshed-out review in a few weeks once I've had some more time with it.

davidgilmour (OP)

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 05:05:03 am »
Got my kit in the mail today, assembled it and spent about an hour with it.

My initial impression is that I'm much more excited to get to hacking the hw/sw of the device than I am to actually play games on it. Playing games works, but seems to have a variety of minor annoyances that others have mentioned in depth. It seems that if you just want to play games and don't plan on compiling your own firmware/modding the board etc then there are a variety of other handhelds that would be a better choice.

Will probably give a more fleshed-out review in a few weeks once I've had some more time with it.

So, here we are, 5 weeks later. Can you give us an update?

kfchow

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2019, 03:06:53 am »
Looks like they got a PC engine emulator working now.

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=36061
Handhelds:

Post a new topic