Author Topic: Rockbot 1.0 beta 2  (Read 6330 times)

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
Rockbot 1.0 beta 2
« on: October 10, 2010, 07:23:14 pm »
Hello fellow Dinguxers!
I've just released the 7th beta for Rockbot , a game much like Megaman that is multiplatform, made using C/SDL.  This is the last beta for version 0.1, meaning it is fully playable, even if it does have a series of bugs.
In this version, we added an official port for Dingux, we hope you guys enjoy and help reporting bugs or contributing with code, graphics, music, sounds or ideas.

More information can be found here: http://rockbot.upperland.net
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:28:13 pm by protomank »
Rockbot Lead game designer.

Coccijoe

• Underground Portables
Re: Rockbot 0.1 b7
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 09:41:45 pm »
very good game! thanks
i notice 2 bugs, when i push A on "new game" ligne, it return to gmenu. with betabot vs mummy the game return to menu a the end of level.

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 09:43:20 pm »
Thanks a lot for testing! I'll look into those bugs ASAP :)

zear

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:27:27 pm »
This beta looks really good.
Sure there are bugs, like the already mentioned crash on A in the menu, but I see a lot of progress since the last time I tried the SVN version (about 2 weeks ago).
The levels seems to be finally playable, though they need to be at least 3 times the current length for the final version, as so far the whole game could be completed in less than 15 minutes ;)

Anyway, good job, hope to hear more from you in the future :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:29:41 pm by zear »

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 12:44:16 am »
Thanks!
Luckly, creating stages is actually the easy part, as I have an editor for this task, and anyone can contribute easily. The hardest part was to build the base engine play well. From now on, things are pretty easy, as adding, for example, a new weapon or item, can be done in 1-2 days, while adding gravity takes a week to be fully done.

Some stages such as Seahorse and Magebot are good, but I let it be a bit easy because I still did not implemented some kind of checkpoint, so if I implement a hard part, player will have to start from the beggining.
Next version should have, besides bigger stages, things as moving platforms and disappearing blocks to torture you all :)

SiENcE

• Crank Gaming (Dingux Apps)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 09:33:39 am »
Nice Game.

But the scrolling to a new Background is a bit slow. And i would prefer larger scrolling background instead of small ones.

But anyway nice Game!!

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 02:31:39 pm »
I hope to speed up things a lot once I have all bugs squashed, so it should be faster, but what you mean with large background? I really did not undertood that, you mean taking the whole Dingoo screen?

zear

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 06:02:50 pm »
I believe sience means longer, scrollable levels than a lot of one-screen ones where you have to wait for level change every few seconds ;)

SiENcE

• Crank Gaming (Dingux Apps)
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 10:13:48 pm »
I believe sience means longer, scrollable levels than a lot of one-screen ones where you have to wait for level change every few seconds ;)

Yep. Zear understands me ... always :-)

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 09:40:22 pm »
This was one of the options I tought heheheh.
Well, some stages, like Apebot's are pretty linear and long, but Megaman games really have stairs, a lot of stairs and platforms that are more like that kind of tower in Super Mario 1, that allowed you to jump in the castle flag, in each level ending.
I mean, megaman is not so linear as a Super Mario or Kirby game, but yes, I really need to speed it up a lot, so it would not be boring as it is now :)

samir

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 01:55:37 am »
Thanks protomank!

flaming_goat

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 06:33:30 pm »
Liking the Game  :) but it does seem very easy, especially the bosses which can be killed before they even get to you on betabot.

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 06:51:50 pm »
Yes, yes. Difficulty should be right when I released the final 0.1 version. Otherwise it becomes hard to me to test it, heehehhe.
The bosses still lack any decent artificial inteligence, but I plan to implement it until middle-november, as the bux-fixing is progressing way faster than I tought before.

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
Re: Rockbot 0.1 RC1
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 11:48:23 am »
I've released 0.1 RC1. Still a lot of work left to be done, but getting there.
I'll give it a time for a while, so I can plan well before working on the 0.2 version, as I plan to completely redesign the editor and filesystem, in a way the game is much more editable.
This should make easier to solve things as bosses IA, once it will be editable by the user (will have a list of possible actions), removing most hardcoded parts. It should take a while, but after that, the gmae should be finished, and I'll try porting Megaman 9.

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
Re: Rockbot 1.0 beta 2
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 01:30:48 pm »
After much time, and a great effort to port the C code to C++, optimizations, cleaning and more, I'm proud to anounce the release of the second beta of Rockbot 1.0!

You will notice some features from 0.1 RC1 are abscent, as they are not ported yet, but overall, the code and features are improved over the old version (check the editor on Windows/Linux and you will easily not the difference). I hope you can have fun testing it, and please, report any issues or suggestions you have :)

zear

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 01:41:32 pm »
Glad to hear the developement still continues :)

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 01:56:31 pm »
Yeah, it was kind of nowhere until I finished most of the porting to C++ (it makes much easier to develop for, but now I can't get a native Dingoo port, sad thing), and when I bought a Playstation 3, but never really stopped ;)
I plan to release a new beta each 2 months; it will take a bit longer to have a fully working game, as the TODO list is still a bit big, but once finished, people will be able to create their own games (with limits, of course) using the editor.

zear

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 05:44:27 pm »
Is the game gfx copyright infringement resolved yet?
I'd love this game to become fully GPL.

protomank (OP)

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 08:04:02 pm »
Sadly the art and sound effects are not fully GPL yet. I had one person helping me create graphics, but he started a mastery in science, and another friend of mine also gave me some pixel-art and then vanished into limbo :-/
So I'm using copyrighted art fro now, as I am a developer, my art is my code, and I found no one to contribute with free graphics. After I finish the code, I can spare time to create my own art in all places needed and make it fully GPL, but until there, the priority is the code.

If you know about anyone wanting to create pixel-art for a game (for free, of course), please contact me :)

zear

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 08:07:48 pm »
You can ask at http://opengameart.org/
Especially check their IRC channel.

Post a new topic