• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: pcsx4all 2.4 for Dingoo A320  (Read 17035 times)

dmitry_smagin (OP)

pcsx4all 2.4 for Dingoo A320
« on: December 25, 2016, 05:50:28 am »
Yep, that's it.

Pcsx4all 2.4 for Dingoo A320 (OpenDingux)

Download link: http://prizma.bmstu.ru/~exmortis/opk/pcsx4all_dingoo.zip
Source code: https://github.com/dmitrysmagin/pcsx4all

Compatibility list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1maVTuSUzvoJcEe823vYJIVRJLs8BEL6AYtFidM4c36g/edit#gid=0
More help at GCW Zero topic: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-releases/pcsx4all-2-3/

Note: it's not that performant as GCW Zero version, but still you can play 2d games with sound at 40fps.
Recommended GPU settings:
Frame skip: auto
Dithering: off
Ligting: off
Fast lighting: on
Blending: off
Pixel skip: on

Recommended SPU settings:
Audio sync: off
SPU updates per frame: 4
Forces XA updates: auto

Q&A:
Q: Select doesn't work!
A: Select is a combo button, psx's select is mapped to SELECT+B, menu is SELECT+START, L2/R2 is SELECT+L/R

Q: Wait, is it psx4all from Uli?
A: Not quite. This emu is based on Pcx4all (note C letter) with many fixes from pcsx_rearmed, pcsxr and Mednafen. Uli's mips-to-mips recompiler is greatly reworked and improved. Expect a lot more games to run!

UPDATE: 2017-01-06
New fixes for mips recompiler by senquack which fix crashes and freezes for Jackie Chan Stuntmaster, Tomb Raider 2,4,5 and Mortal Kombat 3 and MK Trilogy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:40:44 pm by dmitry_smagin »
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

HercTNT

Re: pcsx4all 2.4 for Dingoo A320
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:00:26 am »
Thank you so much for this!!! I have to break out my 320 and test this soon.

chevette

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 01:39:31 pm »
Wow....this is a surprise! Thank you

samir

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 11:49:30 am »
Thanks!!! Dingoo A320 forever!! ;D

HercTNT

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 03:03:05 pm »
Amazing, loaded up symphony of the night and it works great. Can't remember how many times over the years it has been said playstation could never be done on the A320. :)

Edit: So I'm testing more games including Rapid reload and Parodius and I really cannot believe how well this works. My Dingoo A320 runs stable at 432mhz and likely gives me a small boost. I really wish their was a way to boost cpu voltage by a tiny amount as i can almost run 450 stable and would be curious to see if that helped frame rates.

Dmitry, thank you so much for what you have already done. If you got any ideas on how to squeeze out a tad more speed or compatability I would love to test for you if you need it.

No matter what. I can't thank you enough.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:57:56 am by HercTNT »

joyeux

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 02:49:07 pm »
That's fantastic! Thanks for the interest in our old and beloved A320! Happy new year!
"Life is a dream, and it's morning for you."

- Wan Fu

streeker

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 05:20:59 pm »
Thank you. Thank you! Thank you!!

Finally I get to play one of my all-time favourites "Abe's Oddysee" on a portable system I actually own :)
I had to disable frameskip, but the PAL version I'm playing runs at a close to stable 50fps nevertheless.

Keep up the brilliant work!

EXL

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 02:52:27 pm »
Cool News, Thanks!

Great gift for the "Old New Year"!  ;D

HercTNT

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 01:46:12 am »
After much tinkering around with settings it seems that turning off frame skipping is nearly a must for most games. The ones I have tried at least. With frame skipping on nearly every game I have played has some sort of graphical corruption. Turning frame skipping off fixes the problem completely while obviously causing slower playback.

Senor Quack

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 03:38:53 pm »
After much tinkering around with settings it seems that turning off frame skipping is nearly a must for most games. The ones I have tried at least. With frame skipping on nearly every game I have played has some sort of graphical corruption. Turning frame skipping off fixes the problem completely while obviously causing slower playback.

Could you please list the games you've noticed the corruption on, and description of issue and whether it makes the game unplayable, if the list is not too numerous. The 'auto' frameskip setting will try its best to avoid the issue, but isn't as aggressive/smooth as the manual settings. It will likely never be perfect.

I don't have time to test tons of random games, and the only one I recall for sure that is completely unplayable with frame skip on is Chrono Cross.

HercTNT

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 09:46:50 pm »
You have to forgive me. My health has not been stellar lately so my memory has been kinda wack. nothing serious, i will be fine, just explaining myself ahead of time in case this comes out odd LOL.  I have tested, worms, diablo, rapid reload, symphony of the night, parodius, and a handful of others i honestly can't remember at the moment.  All of them on my device expirienced graphical corruption with frameskip set even to auto. The only way for me to run any game reliably is to turn off frameskip completely and they all run fine but slower. the program does not let me overclock past 393mhz so I don't know if higher clock rate would fix my issues as my machine will do 430.
The only other emulator this has happened to me in is all of the turbografx emulators. i get graphical corruption regardless of the clock settings or frameskip and have never found a fix.
The odd thing in all this is my dingoo is an HK dingoo which is considered to be a fake lower quality machine. Atleast that's what the markings on the case would suggest. On the inside though, it seems to be the guts of a real dingoo and is a very stable machine that does not appear to suffer from the issues fake dingoos have with the exception of my video problems in specific emulators.

Senor Quack

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 11:43:11 pm »
All of them on my device expirienced graphical corruption with frameskip set even to auto. The only way for me to run any game reliably is to turn off frameskip completely and they all run fine but slower.

The usual reason frameskip in PCSX4ALL can cause glitches is because the PS1 usually renders to two alternating buffers (double-buffering). Or, the game can clear the screen, display a static image like a load screen, and if that happened to be the frame that was skipped, you'll see nothing. Furthermore, games can read back from what was rendered to PS1 VRAM to do visual effects, and if it was a skipped frame, they'll be reading old frames or garbage. There also is no dedicated texture RAM in the PS1 - the VRAM is just a large rectangular area that stores the screen buffers as well as texture memory, which can all be placed arbitrarily or even overlapping!

It's really different from how older non-3D systems render. There's no way to predict these behaviors 100%, so there are always going to be some glitches. The frameskip code is adapted from PCSX Rearmed (the popular PS1 emu for cellphones/arm devices), and it does try to monitor and be intelligent about when to skip.

Because the Dingoo A320 is such a slow device, there will be more frames skipped in 'auto' mode, and it simply increases the chances for gfx glitches to occur. Frameskip setting of '1' will skip every other frame, which really increases the chances of glitches, but is probably the ideal setting for Dingoo A320.  For a speed boost, you can disable XA Audio and CDDA Audio in the SPU settings, but you'll lose music in most games.

When you're feeling better: let us know specifically which games become *unplayable* or really glitchy, and where the glitches happen, so we can try to improve the frameskip code.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:04:18 am by Senor Quack »

HercTNT

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 12:29:14 am »
All of the games I have currently listed became fully unplayable due to extreme graphic corruption using any kind of frame skip on my device. For me, the only way to alleviate the problem is to turn frame skipping off. If their are games that you could recommend to me that might give you a better idea of the situation at hand, I would be happy to test them if you need me to. As its stands i'm not complaining in the slightest. what you have achieved is impressive and i'm thankful. I just want to provide proper feedback and help. Would it be possible to allow for the higher overclock in the software or is it limited for compatibility reasons. for example, the snes emulator i have reports back that max overclock is 430 which is my current setting. Psx4all reports back max 393. At anyrate, forgive my ignorance as to how it all works, but I will happily test anything you need me to.

Senor Quack

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 12:32:29 am »
Would it be possible to allow for the higher overclock in the software or is it limited for compatibility reasons. for example, the snes emulator i have reports back that max overclock is 430 which is my current setting. Psx4all reports back max 393. At anyrate, forgive my ignorance as to how it all works, but I will happily test anything you need me to.

Ah, that'd have to be Dmitry that handles that, I don't have a Dingoo device myself, unfortunately.  I'll test those games you mentioned once I'm done with my current PCSX4ALL sub-projects.

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 03:03:39 am »
I can't believe I missed this until now. I saw pcsx4all on the title and always tought it was a Zero's thread, I just didn't expect a working version for the Dingoo!

I'll get an SDCard tomorrow to test this. Thanks for the hard work!

dmitry_smagin (OP)

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 05:52:42 am »
The only auto frameskip related gfx glitch I noticed was in Castlevania SotN - missing letters during dialogue before Dracula fight. Although I tested mostly 2D games like Castlevania Chronicles, Megaman, MK 3, MK Trilogy. The last two run extremely fine. :)

My Dingoo runs overclocked at 408MHz, and if higher it resets occasionally. Never encountered heavy gfx glitches HercTNT was talking about.

@HercTNT
Btw, psx4all's showing 393MHz max doesn't mean PCSX4ALL runs at the same pace. In fact, PCSX4ALL doesn't even know about overclocking, as it's gmenu2x who sets it. Try reducing overclock to 408 and maybe gfx corruption will be gone.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:01:08 am by dmitry_smagin »
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

streeker

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 08:47:32 am »
As I've noted before: "Oddworld - Abe's Oddysee" is another game that is unplayable with frameskip enabled.

HercTNT

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 09:20:52 am »
The only auto frameskip related gfx glitch I noticed was in Castlevania SotN - missing letters during dialogue before Dracula fight. Although I tested mostly 2D games like Castlevania Chronicles, Megaman, MK 3, MK Trilogy. The last two run extremely fine. :)

My Dingoo runs overclocked at 408MHz, and if higher it resets occasionally. Never encountered heavy gfx glitches HercTNT was talking about.

@HercTNT
Btw, psx4all's showing 393MHz max doesn't mean PCSX4ALL runs at the same pace. In fact, PCSX4ALL doesn't even know about overclocking, as it's gmenu2x who sets it. Try reducing overclock to 408 and maybe gfx corruption will be gone.
  well, it seems i was wrong all along. I was misunderstanding how the clock rates were being reported by the information bar at the bottom of the screen as opposed to in the links. it seems if i set a clock rate higher than that 384 in the games link, its not reported at the bottom of the screen. Also, oddly it seems my dingoo reset all my clocks and i have been running at 384 the whole time ( i said 393, my mistake). so the corruption is not caused by higher clocks. I will play around with it some more to see what i can come up with. Also, since the clock resets i can now set my clock rate higher than 384 in psx4all as i was unable to before. I have no explanation for any of this.

Senor Quack

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 01:32:36 pm »
Also, since the clock resets i can now set my clock rate higher than 384 in psx4all as i was unable to before. I have no explanation for any of this.

Please forgive me if you really were referring to the older PSX4ALL there..   I know it's confusing, but please be clear when referring to PSX4ALL vs PCSX4ALL. PSX4ALL is a much older release, PCSX4ALL is this new release with much work done in the past year.

For a bit more speed, you can increase the Cycle Multiplier setting up to 3.0 (default is 2.0), which reduces overhead of CPU emulation at the cost of compatibility: some games will freeze (Valkyrie Profile) or will actually run slowly because timing will be off (parts of Castlevania SOTN or all of Metal Gear Solid for instance).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:58:00 pm by Senor Quack »

HercTNT

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 10:45:04 pm »
At this point i don't blame you for questioning if i have this all mixed up. Hell, i don't even know at this point LOL. No, i am using the current version recently released around christmas i believe. Last night i pushed my clock to 432 and played sexy parodius, worms armeggedon, rapid reload, and SOTN. only SOTN and rapid reload suffer from corruption now if i set frameskip to anything but off.  I can run parodius and worms with frameskip to auto with a small boost in speed and no issues. All games ran rock solid at 432mhz for several hours. I will try the Cycle Multiplier setting later tonight and report my findings.
I can't thank you all enough for the feedback and help. its much appreciated.

Edit: So i changed the cycle multiplier to 3 with very good results. All games ran a bit smoother with parodius running near flawless with full sound. Its my understanding to stay away from 3d titles so obviously everything i'm testing is 2d. No matter what I do, some games have corruption with frameskip on. Its likely an odd quirk in my machine.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:09:21 am by HercTNT »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic