Author Topic: OpenDingux: first end-user release  (Read 63696 times)

sonicboy

Re: OpenDingux: first end-user release
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2012, 12:46:05 pm »
thanks, i downloaded the program but how should i make this primary fat 32 partition please?
Select your card reader as Destination Disk, double check the choice or you may damage your HDD
Click on Parts Manage, then ReFormat USB disk.
Select USB-HDD single partition option, Partition alignment leave as is, click Next.
Select FAT32 as filesystem and optionally set volume label.
Click OK and wait :)

many thanks!

Pingouin

« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2012, 03:01:06 pm »
Is there a way to have a better battery level indication than the inaccurate Gmenu2x icon which only seems to show a couple of states, say in %? That would also be useful to know when the battery is fully charged on while connected to a USB port. Besides the Gmenu2x icon never shows my battery 100% even when I leave the Dingoo plugged in a USB port for long.
I tried BattUtil but it doesn't work in OpenDingux. Fce320 has a battery indicator, but it doesn't work (it always states 100%).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 03:02:52 pm by Pingouin »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2012, 03:06:34 pm »
Since the end-user release we fixed the battery level that was reported by the kernel, so it should be more accurate on next versions.

Pingouin

« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2012, 05:37:48 pm »
Since the end-user release we fixed the battery level that was reported by the kernel, so it should be more accurate on next versions.

Great, thanks! Could a % figure of the battery level be added to the "System info" screen then?

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2012, 08:54:00 pm »
Sure, good idea.

mth (OP)

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2012, 12:27:25 am »
OpenMSX 0.82 isn't working with the first end-user release.  It was ok with the opendingux release from  2011.

Can I make something simple to try get it working or I need to change the source code and recompile it ?

We released openMSX 0.9.0 today and it includes a binary for the OpenDingux release version. You can download it from SourceForge.

samir

« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2012, 12:56:32 am »
OpenMSX 0.82 isn't working with the first end-user release.  It was ok with the opendingux release from  2011.

Can I make something simple to try get it working or I need to change the source code and recompile it ?

We released openMSX 0.9.0 today and it includes a binary for the OpenDingux release version. You can download it from SourceForge.

Thanks, mth!!!   ;D

vargero

« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2012, 04:16:56 am »
Do you guys know what should be fixed in order to lgpt work on OD? Everything works fine, except for the most important bit: it displays a "Failed to initialize audio".
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:19:31 am by vargero »

vargero

« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2012, 05:27:03 am »
Answering myself:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/323652/ghetto/lgpt_opendingux.dge

An opendingux version of lgpt.

slbstmrd

« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2012, 06:38:56 pm »
So my old dingux system on my SD card got corrupted, so I decided to try OD... Not very impressed so far, it looks better, but not much actually runs on it.

Meritous still segfaults (though I can't be sure, as I don't get any terminal messages any more) constantly after playing a while, Free Heroes 2 doesn't run, that one Dink Smallwood port hangs at loading screen, aleph one doesn't work at all, the Star Control II port (UQM) doesn't run, and pretty much everything else (except Powder, eduke and scummvm) either hangs on launch or bails to menu.

Working apps/games/ports/etc should be top priority before features - who cares about features if nothing works or even runs?

I hate to be the one to piss on everybody's parade, but at a certain point the disappointment just becomes overwhelming...

I love you guys for putting in the hard work for something like this and all, I just wish I could enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to be.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:40:35 pm by slbstmrd »

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2012, 08:09:01 pm »
So my old dingux system on my SD card got corrupted, so I decided to try OD... Not very impressed so far, it looks better, but not much actually runs on it.

Meritous still segfaults (though I can't be sure, as I don't get any terminal messages any more) constantly after playing a while, Free Heroes 2 doesn't run, that one Dink Smallwood port hangs at loading screen, aleph one doesn't work at all, the Star Control II port (UQM) doesn't run, and pretty much everything else (except Powder, eduke and scummvm) either hangs on launch or bails to menu.
Old Legacy Dingux's binaries are not supported in OpenDingux. If you're using the same binaries then everything you posted is known and expected. Try new builds of those apps, builds made using the OD toolchain.

Working apps/games/ports/etc should be top priority before features - who cares about features if nothing works or even runs?
They changed internal libraries and some other stuffs following the standards and made it more developer friendly than Legacy Dingux stuffs (like accessing directly to memory or reading a physical register to read the input, things that only work on Legacy Dingux), but they can't go and port/fix every known app and emulator from Legacy Dingux to OpenDingux BEFORE the releases. That's why they released to beta versions, so developers can fix they're apps. If you find a non working app try contacting the developers of it. Or if you find the sources, fix them if you know how to do it and share the results with everyone.

EDIT:
Meritous still segfaults (though I can't be sure, as I don't get any terminal messages any more) constantly after playing a while
In the Settings tab you can find a "Log viewer" that logs the output of the app you just launched. If an app crashes, you can see there why.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:11:06 pm by DiegoSLTS »

zear

« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2012, 08:48:23 pm »
Meritous still segfaults
Meritous always segfaulted even on legacy. It happens when you move outside the map boundaries.

Rosenkranz

« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2012, 08:50:11 pm »
that one Dink Smallwood port hangs at loading screen

You have a good explanation what to do to make it work on release page by jhonnyonflame. You should create blank file named swap.conf
at  local/etc
with "SWAP_SD_SIZE_MB=32" line (only what is in "") or maybe with "SWAP_SD_SIZE_MB=128" for high details version to work.

Now just unzip first file you downloaded and in the same folder unzip the patch(second file you downloaded). Link the high or low .dge file in OD menu and you will play the game. If you want the sound, you just edit .dge file and delete --nosound. You shouldn't use windows notepad for editing.

The best way to enjoy as everybody else is to read and ask questions. Nice people here will always answer you as they answered me. :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:35:07 pm by Rosenkranz »

Coccijoe

• Underground Portables
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2012, 10:20:48 pm »
Aleph one work on OD

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2012, 10:43:43 pm »
As well as Free Heroes 2.

Coccijoe

• Underground Portables
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2012, 01:02:43 am »
Seems that sometimes people prefer to say "that don't work" instead of "i'm not able to make it work"
BTW i tried most of the dingux game on OD and a large part run on it
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:04:40 am by Coccijoe »

slbstmrd

« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2012, 02:08:39 am »
Thanks for all the tips, guys. Great to see someone actually hangs around here still.

I figured out why I had so much trouble... My SD card got corrupted somehow... again. Reformat and (almost) everything works.

I tried applying that trick for FreeDink that was mentioned with the swap.conf file, but doing this only resulted in weird behavior by the system, namely; I can't add new links and filesystem seems to have become read only.

Removing the swap.conf file resolves this. What am I doing wrong?

samir

« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2012, 02:36:59 am »
As well as Free Heroes 2.

Free Heroes 2 dont works in End user release, only works in Beta versions...
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-releases/free-heroes2-engine-%28v-0-1-r2693%29-for-opendingux/

ruffnutts

« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2012, 04:27:03 pm »
How do I add wallpapers in opendingux I noticed there's just a .gmenu2x folder but that's it.. do I make a folder then set a path?

ruffnutts :)

ruffnutts

« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2012, 10:53:22 pm »
Anyone?

Post a new topic