Author Topic: New Gambatte binary for OD end-user release  (Read 9260 times)

cocosx (OP)

New Gambatte binary for OD end-user release
« on: January 08, 2013, 03:35:40 pm »
Hi,

frustrated with Shantae not working properly under GnuBoy and OhBoy on A320, I've recompiled the Gambatte OD with recommended optimization flags on the OD end-user release toolchain. The previous Gambatte release by abhoriel segfaults on OD end-user.

Short testing shows that overclocking to 408 Mhz, it runs Shantae and Wendy at 60 FPS even scaled up.

https://hotfile.com/dl/188072063/3760496/gambatte_OD_20130108.zip.html

Enjoy! :)

Note: For some reason, when I FTPed the file to my A320, it got corrupted, but trasnferring it gzipped and unpacking it on the device worked OK. So I suggest you use the regular SD card trasfer :-)

clemsche

Re: New Gambatte binary for OD end-user release
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:39:30 pm »
Great news! Shantae works like a charm and even Cannon Fodder doesn't hang itself in the second level like in Ohboy... Thanks for that release!

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:17:32 pm »
It would be nice if you could send me a patch at the Google Code respository instead of making another build floating around in the wild. The current version of the OD version of Gambatte should work fine on the A320 and the GCW Zero.

slbstmrd

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:36:53 pm »
The current version of the OD version of Gambatte should work fine on the A320 and the GCW Zero.

Except it doesn't (at least not for me). This build cocosx posted worked perfectly, though!

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 06:14:44 pm »
The current version of the OD version of Gambatte should work fine on the A320 and the GCW Zero.

Except it doesn't (at least not for me). This build cocosx posted worked perfectly, though!
Did you compile it from source from the Google Code repository? If the toolchain has been updated the older binary might not work. It has nothing to do with changing compilation flags.

cocosx (OP)

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:51:52 pm »

Did you compile it from source from the Google Code repository? If the toolchain has been updated the older binary might not work. It has nothing to do with changing compilation flags.

Compiling from the repository should work just fine, this is a binary for the end-users who like the comfort of not having to compile their own. There's gonna be a lot of those if when the GCW0 succeeds :)

slbstmrd

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:19:23 pm »

I didn't even know there were a repository. And as cocosx mentions, I am one of those 'lazy' users that prefer prebuilt versions of software so I don't have to go through the hassle of VMs, compilation and telnet etc.

And he's also right about the GCW Zero. Sadly, to really take off, there is going to be a lot of 'helping' the general user base, because let's face it; people are lazy and just want things to work with a minimum of preparation and time invested.

I tried getting a better build of Meritous to run under OD end-user but never got it to work because of issues compiling arising as soon as I attempted to fix something.

The current build of Meritous is not playable because you'll get to the point in the game where you can't progress because it soft-hangs (you can't move).

The point where this problem arises is when the player tries to acquire the sword PSI key (which is the first one of three).

So I got another build for GP2X (if I remember correctly) where this issue was fixed, but I couldn't get it to compile properly for OD for some reason. My knowledge of compiling and so on is very limited, albeit I do know a thing or two.

Maybe I should try it again, I'm sure a lot of lazy people like me would be glad I did if I succeed...

samir

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 05:03:19 pm »
Thanks!

juzcook

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 11:39:40 pm »
This is exactly what I was waiting for someone to port! Thanks a lot! Now we just need a working ViceOD port  ;)

abhoriel

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:14 am »
hi,

how did you fix gambatte? Was it simple a recompile with a newer toolchain that fixed it?
I've been away from the scene for some time, but if I'll update the code on OD gambatte google code repo if any fixes were made

cheers

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 11:12:39 am »
It was a simple recompile with a new toolchain and some compile changes suggested by the Dingoonity wiki.

He already sent me the changes, I haven't gotten around to submitting them yet.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:17:49 am by Surkow »

abhoriel

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:45:57 pm »
I've just commited a patch to use the recommended flags

thanks anyway for the binary and explanation cocosx :)
and thanks surkow for getting the code gcw0 ready :)

incidentally, are there any extra features desired for this emulator? like configuration options, etc. I can add them to the in-emulator menu.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 07:55:40 pm »
Compile it and make an OPK for GCW0 :)

skelton

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 08:02:30 pm »

That would be awesome :)
Retired

abhoriel

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 09:19:50 am »

I shall have a go :) I do not have a gcw0 to test with though!

lossfizzle

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 11:11:13 pm »
Neither abhoriel's first build nor cocosx's new compile work on my A320 with end-user OD. I try to launch, screen blanks and then I'm immediately dumped back to launcher screen, nothing else happens, no messages displayed.

cocosx's build *is* an improvement in one regard: unlike abhoriel's '12 build, all of the links I've created myself don't disappear from the same section of the launcher after I try to run Gambatte. :)

I'd like to get this working, I've heard Gambatte is really the only option for running LSDJ suitably on the Dingoo. Will be grateful for any clues. 

zear

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 12:39:31 am »
Are you passing any roms to it through the gmenu2x file browser?

xdpirate

• * Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 12:14:32 am »
May I suggest forking GameYob and porting it to Dingux? It's blazingly fast and runs almost all games at full speed on lesser hardware (DS).

Post a new topic