Author Topic: minimal local pack  (Read 66726 times)

zear (OP)

minimal local pack
« on: December 23, 2010, 03:08:13 pm »
I had this on my hdd for a long time. Having no time to work on it, I decided to release it in the current form.

Minimal local pack is nothing more than a stripped down version of the "local" dir for Dingux, containing just /sbin/main, gmenu2x, and poweroff/reboot scripts.
I know a lot of Windows users had problems creating the scripts and installing gmenu2x themselves, so they were instead choosing the bloated and outdated "localpacks". This pack should be considered as a lightweight alternative to the other packs and a good starter for new Dingux users.

Download: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,116,473

Installation:
Simply extract the contents of the archive to the root of your SD card, next to zImage and rootfs files.
Next time you boot into Dingux, a nice gmenu2x gui should appear.

PS. Since this pack lacks tvout and swap scripts, anybody should feel free to improve it. I just simply have no time for it, and OpenDingux release is coming closer every day, eventually making this legacy Dingux-aimed pack redundant.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:09:59 pm by zear »

mandrake88

Re: minimal local pack
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 03:38:25 pm »
in my opinion minamal localpack should include:

- Sience Kernel
- Rootfs with fixed tremor libs
- Gmenu + reboot/poweroff scripts
- Virtual Mouse
- Swap
- Tv-Out

With that you just only need to install the emus/games that u wan't to play.
Dingoo A320 Black - Original by Dingoo Digital

tintami

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 03:54:09 pm »

- Sience Kernel
- Virtual Mouse
- Swap
- Tv-Out

+1

zear (OP)

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 03:59:39 pm »

- Sience Kernel
A localpack is a localpack and it contains only "local" dir. Additionally the kernel/rootfs might change in time, so it would make the pack obsolete.
That's already in the pack
- Virtual Mouse
- Swap
- Tv-Out
Feel free to add that features :)

You can already install emus/games on it and play them.

dgame

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 07:09:12 pm »
Hi,

Been away for awhile.

Is "/usr/local/gmenu2x" the same as "/boot/local/gmenu2x" when used in the local/sbin/main script?

In other words do both /usr and /boot point to the same root of the SD card?

Thanks.
GP2X-F100 MK2, GP2X-F100 MK1, GP2X-F200, JXD 301, DS Lite, Dingoo A-320, Pandora CC, GameGadget, Pandora 1GHz, GCW Zero SE
*** forum member gp2xs is now dgame ***

zear (OP)

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 07:11:26 pm »
Hi,

Been away for awhile.

Is "/usr/local/gmenu2x" the same as "/boot/local/gmenu2x" when used in the local/sbin/main script?

In other words do both /usr and /boot point to the same root of the SD card?

Thanks.

/usr/local is just a symlink to /boot/local :)

ctrl_shift_esc

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 04:13:27 am »
Thank you, zear. Guess that'll be a place to start reconfiguring my dingux which is so litterd now it's easier to restart.
I would also appreciate somebody assembling an archive with all the things mandrake88 was talking about. Would do it myself but it's been a long time since I was browsing this forum, guess a lot of updates passed me by and I don't feel like investigating into it a lot)

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 11:18:37 am »
I updated the minimal packs with everything you guys requested. You can get it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZTY64OAJ

It has the following

- Sience Kernel
- Virtual Mouse
- Swap
- Tv-Out

ruffnutts

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:47:26 pm »
Thanks to Sience & qbertaddict for this , now I`m goner start my dingoo with what I really want on it  ;D

Dingoo still rocks ;)

ruffnutts

P.S O`yes and the doomgoo scripts are still there woop...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:52:08 pm by ruffnutts »

lemmywinks

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 03:39:33 am »
I updated the minimal packs with everything you guys requested. You can get it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZTY64OAJ

It has the following

- Sience Kernel
- Virtual Mouse
- Swap
- Tv-Out

Cheers bud, much appreciated! just downloaded this and will get it running tomorrow hopefully (demanding daughter allowing!), i think this should become pretty much standard with all Dingux installs. Could we sticky it with links to the latest files?
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

ctrl_shift_esc

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 04:27:35 am »

Thank you!

jagotu

• * Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 09:51:47 am »
Yes, pls stick.
Sorry guys for not caring about dingoonity lately. It was nice to be with you, and maybe I'll come back, but not now...

Coccijoe

• Underground Portables
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 11:17:02 pm »

I downloaded it, and it's not really a "minimal pack", in my opinion there are too much apps (dosbox, dinimavie, gmu...).
Anyway thanks  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:20:23 pm by Coccijoe »

fenixt

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 12:15:04 am »
This menu. Is there a way to have a simpler (maybe like native) menu? I find this one cumbersome. Like Nero. If there is a different style menu (maybe xmb), with better icons, how would I install it? Just copy it to the applications folder?

Edit: NVM, found dinguxmb. It had instructions.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:42:11 am by fenixt »

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 01:10:48 am »

I downloaded it, and it's not really a "minimal pack", in my opinion there are too much apps (dosbox, dinimavie, gmu...).
Anyway thanks  :)
LOL the apps which come to 24 megs have been removed.  ::)

Here is the new pack
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4BNRLQ4U
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:19:03 am by qbertaddict »

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 01:25:16 am »
This menu. Is there a way to have a simpler (maybe like native) menu? I find this one cumbersome. Like Nero. If there is a different style menu (maybe xmb), with better icons, how would I install it? Just copy it to the applications folder?

Edit: NVM, found dinguxmb. It had instructions.

Dinguxmb is extremely old does not support overclocking and crashes a lot. There are many skins and icon sets for gmenu2x you might want to look into them as dinguxmb is no longer updated. Gemnu2x is not hard to setup at all there are tutorials everywhere. Here are some other limitations of dinguxmb

GAME LAUNCHER

Only executable files ending with '.sh' or '.dge' are recognized by
  the launcher.
  Accompanying '.png' icons are also displayed (nice!).

I think it would be a good idea of the Dingoo A320 community standardizes
  to these two of suffixes.

'.sh' for scripts
  '.dge' for binary executables

All my future releases will follow this format.

===============================================================================

NOTES

- Many features are missing. Many features already work.
  - You will have to experiment a little.
  - For now, it launches games/applications and has the ability to create
    shortcuts which is good enough for me.

It was a great project but seems to have been abandoned

fenixt

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 03:19:49 pm »
I tried the dinguxmb, and couldn't get an emulator to work, and yeah it's out of date. I went back to native. The gmenu is not for me. I shouldn't be picky cause I didn't make it, but I don't like it at all. It'd take more than changing the icon theme to fix it. Too cluttered, aggravating control scheme (using the shoulder buttons?), and in general dingux is too much work (for me) and configuring to get it personalized just for a game player. I didn't see what the hype is around Dingux. It may just be me, cause I really don't like any linux distros either. Guess I'll stick with native and hope for better snes and genesis emulators. Especially since alot of features (like tv out) have shady dingux support.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:24:18 pm by fenixt »

spark

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 08:03:34 pm »
Hi, I downloaded the minimal local pack because local pack v.35 didnt work beacuse it always showed me this message when booting: dingux cannot run '/usr/local/sbin/main': No such file or directory , so I extracted everything from this pack hoping this would work, and again when it is booting this message appear: dingux cannot run '/usr/local/sbin/main': No such file or directory
I have eveything good, zimage, rootfs and all the folders from local in root including gmenu folder and main in sbin, so whats the problem??

Oh and this is the first time I use dingux (I installed the dualboot yesterday and it hasnt worked :(

Thanks

zear (OP)

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 09:22:23 pm »
I have(...) all the folders from local in root including gmenu folder and main in sbin, so whats the problem??
Do you mean that you moved everything from the /local dir and put it in the root of the card? If so, that's your problem. The /local folder with it's full contents needs to be placed on the root (meaning the top most location) of the card.
So a SD card filesystem structure should look like this:
Code: [Select]
SD CARD
|
+-- zImage
+-- rootfs
+-- local/
     |
     +-- games/
     +-- emulators/
     +-- apps/
     +-- gmenu2x/
     +-- sbin/
           |
          +-- main

when it is booting this message appear: dingux cannot run '/usr/local/sbin/main': No such file or directory
The "usr" directory is the mount point of the SD card in the system, and that means that after the system boots and it sets up the basic filesystem from the "rootfs" file, it mounts the SD card to the /usr/ location it extracted from the rootfs file. So for Dingux the "main" file is visible as /usr/local/sbin/main, but on your card it is located in /local/sbin/main . So if you let's say created the /usr/local/sbin/main path on the card, after it is mounted by Dingux, it will see it as /usr/usr/local/sbin/main . This is obviously incorrect and some people might do this by mistake. Thinking that the sd card is mounted to the root of the Dingux's filesystem, so they put the local dir into an additional "usr" directory.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 09:33:28 pm by zear »

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 03:12:36 am »
I tried the dinguxmb, and couldn't get an emulator to work, and yeah it's out of date. I went back to native. The gmenu is not for me. I shouldn't be picky cause I didn't make it, but I don't like it at all. It'd take more than changing the icon theme to fix it. Too cluttered, aggravating control scheme (using the shoulder buttons?), and in general dingux is too much work (for me) and configuring to get it personalized just for a game player. I didn't see what the hype is around Dingux. It may just be me, cause I really don't like any linux distros either. Guess I'll stick with native and hope for better snes and genesis emulators. Especially since alot of features (like tv out) have shady dingux support.

Dang people are lazy. 'It doesnt work exactly the way I want out of the box so instead of learning I will just wait for someone else to do it for me and make it easier' The hype with DINGUX isnt hype. With dingux you have great emulators and better support than on the native os. Have fun waiting for good snes and megadrive emulators while people who do 10 minutes of research play their games with great compatibility and speed. Sorry if I sound like a dick but people that want instant gratification crack me up. If you change your mind I would be more than happy to help you out but only if you get a better attitude.

Post a new topic