Author Topic: Kernel by SiENcE (updated boukichi's kernel) + Tvout + RTC + Swap + PowerOff  (Read 67463 times)

Cycron

So is there a way to have a clock in gmenu2x now?

sorry if this is a really noobish question   :P

Please create another thread. Here we talk about the kernel. Not gmenu2x.
sorry

Skyline969

Well, this is the kernel I'm using AFAIK, but how does one enable swap? Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, I must have overlooked it if it was.

Skyline969

Thanks again eule. However, on the step where it says to copy the files to my card... where do I place the .swap file so the script will recognize it? Should I make a sbin folder on the root of my card, where the zImage, rootfs, and local folder are?

eule

.swap goes into the local folder, the 3 .sh files anywhere you want i think, they are in gmenu2x/scripts on my dingoo.  :)

Skyline969

That's where the scripts would go for me too. But does it go into the root of the local folder? Like... X:\local\.swap?

EDIT: Well, I put .swap in X:\local\, but when I run mkswap from X:\local\gmenu2x\scripts it gives me:
/boot/local/gmenu2x/scripts/mkswap.sh: line 1: cd: not found
mkswap: can't open '.swap': No such file or directory
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:43:17 am by Skyline969 »

conso

ahm... you should run that script from gmenu2x, in dingux.

Skyline969

Uh... yeah... I am. And it spits out that error VERY quickly and then switches back to gmenu2x.

eule

Hmm, it complains about not finding .swap, are you sure it?s in the local folder?
The script does this:
cd.. [go into the upper directory] cd.. mkswap .swap [make .swap to the swapfile]
So it should work... Are the scripts in the scripts folder or in another folder in it? Silly questions probably, but somewhere is a little mistake i guess.  :D

borus

erm... Windows end-of-line characters in the script ?

Skyline969

Hmm, it complains about not finding .swap, are you sure it?s in the local folder?
The script does this:
cd.. [go into the upper directory] cd.. mkswap .swap [make .swap to the swapfile]
So it should work... Are the scripts in the scripts folder or in another folder in it? Silly questions probably, but somewhere is a little mistake i guess.  :D
The script you pointed me to is this:
cd /sbin/
mkswap .swap
Meaning it's an absolute path from the mount point. However, what is the mount point in Dingux: the root of the drive or /local/?

eule

I see, thought i had used the same pack, but obviously not, this is the content of my mkswap.sh:
/sbin/mkswap ../../.swap
swapon.sh
/sbin/swapon ../../.swap
swapoff.sh
/sbin/swapoff ../../.swap
And my explanation above what the script does is wrong too, what was i thinking?  ???
You could either change the scripts, move .swap to /sbin/ or change the ".swap" part in each script to "../.swap", all ways should work.
Sorry for not being totally clear, i?m not that good in that stuff...  :)

Skyline969

I see, thought i had used the same pack, but obviously not, this is the content of my mkswap.sh:
/sbin/mkswap ../../.swap
swapon.sh
/sbin/swapon ../../.swap
swapoff.sh
/sbin/swapoff ../../.swap
And my explanation above what the script does is wrong too, what was i thinking?  ???
You could either change the scripts, move .swap to /sbin/ or change the ".swap" part in each script to "../.swap", all ways should work.
Sorry for not being totally clear, i?m not that good in that stuff...  :)
I would just make a sbin folder, but do I make it at the root of the drive or in /local/? It depends on where the mount point is set in Dingux. I think it'd just be easier to modify the scripts to
Code: [Select]
cd ..
cd ..
cd sbin
mkswap .swap

eule

Doesn?t local already contain a sbin folder?
If you change the script like you want to, the sbin folder has to be in local, and the .swap must be in it. I?m not sure if you can use cd .. in scripts though.  :D
Don?t know exactly where the mountpoint is tbh...
Found the pack i use, might save you a bit of hazzle:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-development/optimized-kernel/msg17413/#msg17413
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:26:29 pm by eule »

10basetom

• tohodo.com
No, you don't need to create any directories. I don't have my Dingoo with me at the moment but if I recall removing "/sbin/" from the commands in the three shell scripts (*.sh) should do the trick, e.g.:

mkswap ../../.swap
swapon ../../.swap
swapoff ../../.swap

First, make sure your 'main' file (X:\local\sbin\main) contains something like this:

#!/bin/sh
export HOME=/usr/local/home
export SDL_NOMOUSE=1
export TZ=VST
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
renice 20 `pidof mmcqd`
cd /usr/local/gmenu2x/scripts
./swapon.sh
cd /usr/local/gmenu2x
./gmenu2x

The 'export PATH' command is important because it will allow you to execute mkswap/swapon/swapoff from any directory. The 'renice' command reduces the priority of the mmcqd process since a previous poster mentioned it introduces an overhead in Dingux. You should also change the TZ environment variable to your local timezone (see this page).

Assuming you placed the scripts in the default location, 'main' will also turn on your .swap whenever you boot Dingux (it appears /usr is symlinked to /boot ?). I think part of the confusion is that there are actually two sbin directories: /sbin (root) and /boot/local/sbin (memory card). The mkswap, swapon, and swapoff binaries are in root, not in the local pack that you copied to your memory card. Keep in mind that X:\local\ on your PC is actually /boot/local in Dingux, so the path to the .swap file should be /boot/local/.swap. This means that when you execute /boot/local/gmenu2x/scripts/swapon.sh, for example, and it includes the command 'swapon ../../.swap', Dingux will look for the .swap file relative to the directory in which the script is executed, so ../../.swap => two directories up => /boot/local/.swap (equivalent to X:\local\.swap)

SiENcE (OP)

• Crank Gaming (Dingux Apps)
if you use

export SDL_NOMOUSE=1
You will see no mouse cursor in sdl games. This prevents you from using my keymouse driver.

jonezy1984

Re: Kernel by SiENcE (updated boukichi's kernel) + Tvout + RTC + Swap + PowerOff
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2010, 06:44:10 pm »
Hi,

Is it normal that when you use dingux_kernel_100704 virtual mouse fix for 64MB Kernel A330, that while Dingux is starting up the 64MB logo (in the top right of the screen like in stephanie's kernel) isn't displayed anymore?

SiENcE (OP)

Re: Kernel by SiENcE (updated boukichi's kernel) + Tvout + RTC + Swap + PowerOff
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2010, 10:50:52 am »
My kernel is based on boukichi's kernel. Do you need the logo?

jonezy1984

« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2010, 12:29:38 pm »
no, but thanx anyway  ;D

I was wondering about the 64mb logo because i thaught that maybe something went wrong when i installed dingux.
I don't see the logo anymore, & since i don't own a dingoo a320 there isn't a way how i can check how the 64mb ram is impemented.
(I mean, checking the difference between 32mb a320 & 64mb a330)

Is there a way how you can find out that the a330 is actually utilising the 64mb ram? an application or config file perhaps?

Sry for this noob question, & thanx for the support guys...

SiENcE (OP)

« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2010, 01:21:17 pm »
# cat /proc/meminfo :-)

or just

# top

Post a new topic