• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: gmenu2x for dingux !  (Read 125051 times)

joyrider (OP)

• Willems Soft
gmenu2x for dingux !
« on: January 31, 2010, 02:05:32 pm »
i ported gmenu2x to dingux, it has all the features of the original gp2x menu working and I fixed 2 small bugs in the original code (dealing with new links that didn't show correctly). I also added battery reading and a LCD Backlight setting, made the volume changing work and a few other things.

a few notes :

the menu needs to be placed in local\gmenu2x (on the sd card, and no other place, the zip already contains the gmenu2x folder so just extract to \local).

You'll also have to edit the /boot/local/sbin/main script if you want this to be your default menu ! (\loca\sbin\main if from the sd cards point of view)

the scanning feature looks for *.dge files, if you have games / applications with another extension you'll have to add it manually (in the menu itself, not through config files ;) )

download here :
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,116,260

Sources here :
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,261

documentation here:
http://gmenu2x.sourceforge.net/page/Documentation

enjoy :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAQ:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do i install it
  • first, Extract the gmenu2x.zip file to the "local" folder on your SD card, the dingoo sees this directory as /boot/local/gmenu2x , secondly get the main script (see further in this faq) and place it in "local\sbin" on your sd card, the dingoo sees this directory as /boot/local/sbin

Im generaly confused on getting all the links set up,Will I have to find icons for all the files or is there another way?
  • at first press select then choose the last option (the scanner thing), this will search your sd card starting from /boot/local (\local on the sd) for *.dge files and will automaticly add them in a temporary "found dge" folder afterwards edit the links in the found dge folder and move them to the sections you like (like emulators, games, etc).

when I do assign an icon I can only see a portion of it, is there a way to fix that?
  • Icons have to be a 32x32 png image with the same name as the executable, if they are larger than 32x32 you'll only see portion of it.

Where do i get the powerof, reboot and main scripts ?

Can i use both dmenu and gmenu2x (or another menu) at the same time ?
  • yes this is possible do it like this :
    1) make  2 main scripts in sbin named main.gmenu2x and main.dmenu (they both contain the code to start the menu as if it was a main script)
    2) make another 2 (dge) scripts one named gmenu2x.dge and one named dmenu.dge
    3) in the gmenu2x.dge do a "rm /boot/local/sbin/main" and a "cp /boot/local/sbin/main.gmenu2x /boot/local/sbin/main"
    4) in the dmenu2x.dge do a "rm /boot/local/sbin/main" and a "cp /boot/local/sbin/main.demnu /boot/local/sbin/main"
    5) make an icon dmenu that links to gmenu2x.dge
    6) make an icon in gmenu2x that links to dmenu.dge
    7) do not forget to choose one menu as the default one (by copying the main file )

Is it possible to add icons for a "new section" ? (sections = the icons on the top bar)
  • This is possible by adding the corresponding icon with the same name as the section's directory/name plus the '.png' extension in the local\gmenu2x\skins\<your current skin name>\sections directory.
    For example if you created the "misc" section and you are using the "Default" skin, you have to place/save the icon as local\gmenu2x\skins\Default\sections\misc.png.
    These icons are also 32x32 pixels in size

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:43:26 pm by joyrider »

z_man3007

Re: gmenu2x for dingux !
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 02:49:43 pm »
This is One of the Best Thing ever happened to the DINGUX system. It was my dream to have gmenu2x on DINGUX.  I don't have words to say thank you but I will say Thank you very very very very much JOYRIDER.  You are a Great man.  I also like to  share a screen shot from the new beautiful gmenu2x.  IT ROCKS ....HEHEHE

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4318259770/

;D

mrkingoo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:02:42 pm »
Wow nice work. Thanks :)

trilbymnokey

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:01:04 pm »
Joyrider, you are the most awesome person ever. +karma!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

One thing though. how should i shutdown?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:25:58 pm by trilbymonkey »

Shin-NiL

• Shin-NiL's Personal Web Page (Brazilian Portuguese)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 04:32:56 pm »
Fantastic Joyrider!

I having only one problem: I can't run it as my default menu. I tried edit the main script as follows:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
export SDL_NOMOUSE=1
export HOME=/usr/local/home
cd /boot/local/gmenu2x
exec ./gmenu2x

and

#!/bin/sh
export SDL_NOMOUSE=1
cd /usr/local/gmenu2x
exec ./gmenu2x

and got the same error from gmenu2x. I tried lauch from dmenu and runs fine!

Thank you!

trilbymnokey

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 04:35:36 pm »
This is my MAIN file, it's probably wrong somewhere but it works fine for me  ;D

#!/bin/sh
export SDL_NOMOUSE=1
# cd /usr/local/dmenu/scripts/volset
# ./readvol
# /usr/local/sbin/brightness.set
cd /usr/local/gmenu2x
./gmenu2x

zear

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 04:35:56 pm »
no need for "exec", just "./gmenu2x"

Long

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 04:36:04 pm »
Thanks for app!
tell me please, i need a "rootfs" and "zlimage" in the root of memcard?
thanx

zear

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 04:36:46 pm »
Thanks for app!
tell me please, i need a "rootfs" and "zlimage" in the root of memcard?
thanx
Yes, it's just a menu, you still need kernel and rootfs for linux to run ;)

trilbymnokey

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 04:37:44 pm »
Does anyone know if it's safe to reset the dingoo while in this menu? (From SD corruption, etc...)

zear

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 04:39:40 pm »
Does anyone know if it's safe to reset the dingoo while in this menu? (From corruption, etc...)
You can just write a script shutdown.dge with the following lines:
#!/bin/sh
poweroff
And reboot.dge:
#!/bin/sh
reboot

..and add them to the gmenu.
Note that it won't work if you write them on Windows. They need to have the unix-compatible endline characters.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:41:51 pm by zear »

Shin-NiL

• Shin-NiL's Personal Web Page (Brazilian Portuguese)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 04:40:29 pm »
Thanks trilbymonkey & zear, just worked now  :D

someuser

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 04:47:32 pm »
Is it possible to change control buttons?

trilbymnokey

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 04:49:21 pm »
Having now played with this menu for a while now, I gotta say it's one of the best things to happen to the Dingoo in a long while.  ;D

It's so customisable, you can change pretty much anything without all the tedious editing config files, this is gonna make all other menus obsolete! omgomgomg I love it! Thank you again Joyrider!!!

zear

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 04:50:31 pm »
Is it possible to change control buttons?
Yes, you can edit "input.conf" and change the key values for the buttons.
It won't change the "gmenu keys", just the buttons you have mapped to them.
So for example a "B" in gmenu will still be "B", just with dingoo's A button mapped to it.

someuser

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 04:59:59 pm »
i don't like theese cpu overlock jumps. :( in menu 200 in games 33x and other

i don't think that safe to make overlocks very often

trilbymnokey

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 05:05:12 pm »
Don't know if it's just me, but I'm having problems running certain emulators. mame4all, Picodrive and psx4all work fine, but nofrendo, sdlgnuboy, smsggoo and snes9x won't run. I'm guessing I've probably just selected the wrong link or something, but I could be wrong...

LOVING the menu, we're gonna need resized icon packs for it though, dmenu ones are a bit too big  ;D

joyrider (OP)

• Willems Soft
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 05:05:30 pm »
i don't like theese cpu overlock jumps. :( in menu 200 in games 33x and other

i don't think that safe to make overlocks very often

you can set the menu clock to 336 and let the games default clock settings be set at 336 as wel

336 is the default speed of the cpu. if they are both set at those values it will not execute a "cpu speed change command".

but let it always running at the default speed.

underclocking is normally no problem it's overclocking that might stress hardware

Also the cpu icon at the bottom is only displaying the cpu speed of the link (it isn't setting the cpu speed), it will only change cpu speed if you actually play a game AND IF the menu's cpu speed is diffrent then what's in the links cpu speed. (so just set it to 336 all the time for menu and links if your affraid).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:43:39 pm by joyrider »

joyrider (OP)

• Willems Soft
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 05:06:41 pm »
Don't know if it's just me, but I'm having problems running certain emulators. mame4all, Picodrive and psx4all work fine, but nofrendo, sdlgnuboy, smsggoo and snes9x won't run. I'm guessing I've probably just selected the wrong link or something, but I could be wrong...

LOVING the menu, we're gonna need resized icon packs for it though, dmenu ones are a bit too big  ;D

they don't run because they expect a parameter (the rom filename). after adding the link, edit the link again and select the roms folder in the options (Selector directory is what you need to set) then it will show you the list of roms and start the game directly with that rom

also icons needs to be 32x32 png image and have the same name as the executable (with a png extension of course)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:48:25 pm by joyrider »

someuser

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 05:49:32 pm »
1) maybe it possible to change defolt overlock in menu to 400?
2) shutdown sript doesn't work (

Post a new topic