Author Topic: eduke32 release #3  (Read 30260 times)

zear (OP)

Re: eduke32 release #3
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 11:25:11 am »
Link appears to be dead. I wonder if perhaps would someone kindly repost it? thanks in advance  :)
Link fixed :)

zear (OP)

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 10:01:30 pm »
Just something I'd like announce.
Apparently the release #3 supports the new net code of eduke32 and it is possible to pair two dingoos (with the use of a PC middleman) for a multiplayer match.

Here below is a picture of a dingoo <- pc -> dingoo connection me and mindw0rk have tested today:

From the left: me (zear), pc host, mindw0rk

The connection is quite stable and one can play, although there are still minor bugs related to the new net code.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:03:50 pm by zear »

mindw0rk

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 10:04:38 pm »
Now if only the A320 had USB host...  ::)

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 11:32:35 pm »
Just something I'd like announce.
Apparently the release #3 supports the new net code of eduke32 and it is possible to pair two dingoos (with the use of a PC middleman) for a multiplayer match.

The connection is quite stable and one can play, although there are still minor bugs related to the new net code.
Are you kiddin' me?! Would you be so kind as to enlighten us mere mortals on HOW to do that please? Preetty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty please?  ;D
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

zear (OP)

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 12:30:44 am »
Well, it works with the usb networking feature of the Dingux. But it also requires a linux pc (unless someone figured out how to make usb networking work with windows).

So, you'll need to have the following:
* a linux pc
* usb cable(s)
* dingoo(s)
* an svn version of eduke32 for your host pc (you'll have to compile it yourself, but that shouldn't be a problem)

Once you have all of that, you:
* plug your dingoo to the pc
* set the newly created usb0 ethernet card to 10.1.0.1
* at this point your pc can access your dingoo at 10.1.0.2.

You can now set up a pc <-> dingoo eduke32 connection.
If you want to play with a second dingoo though, read further on..

If the second dingoo is over the internet, the guy on the other side has to do all the already mentioned steps on his machine, and then the person joining the game (so not hosting) has also to forward the internet connection to his dingoo, so he can connect to the remote addresses. Here's a wiki article which i wrote the other day, explaining how to do this step.

If the second dingoo is connected to the same machine as the first dingoo, do the following:
This is a little tricky. You can do this step either by logging to the dingoo through telnet, or by running a shell script on it from gmenu2x.
Telnet method:
* telnet into your 1st dingoo:
Code: [Select]
telnet 10.1.0.2* run the following command on the dingoo's shell remotely through the telnet connection:
ifconfig usb0 10.2.0.2* at this point your telnet connection will terminate since you have changed the ip address of your dingoo
* now set the usb0 ethernet card on your pc to 10.2.0.1
* your 1st dingoo is now accessable at 10.2.0.2
* plug in your 2nd dingoo
* set the newly created usb1 ethernet card to 10.1.0.1
* your 2nd dingoo is now accessable at 10.1.0.2

Script method:
* you have to mount the dingux's sd card on your PC and then create the following script (this requires your text editor to follow the unix endline standard. If you do this step from a linux machine, you shouldn't worry about this):
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig usb0 10.2.0.2
* name the script whatever you like (can be "2nd_dingoo.sh") and put it somewhere on the card
* plug your second dingoo
* set the newly created usb1 ethernet card to 10.2.0.1
* now add the script to the gmenu2x and execute it
* your 2nd dingoo should be now available from the PC at 10.2.0.2

Setting up eduke32 game for multiplayer:
* edit the eduke32.dge script you can find in your eduke32 dingoo folder
* change it's second line from:
./eduke32 -cachesize 8192 -usecwd -game_dir ./to
./eduke32 -connect 10.1.0.1 -cachesize 8192 -usecwd -game_dir ./(if your dingoo is the second machine, change it to 10.2.0.1, or if you want to connect to a remote address of your friend's server, replace it with your friend's ip)
* on your host PC, run eduke32 binary as:
./eduke32 -server* now execute the modified eduke32.dge script on your dingoo(s)
* you should be all in game now :)

This all might look a bit complicated, but if you are familiar with linux, it is really simple and you shouldn't have bigger problems :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:37:54 am by zear »

clach04

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 01:11:44 am »
Well, it works with the usb networking feature of the Dingux. But it also requires a linux pc (unless someone figured out how to make usb networking work with windows).

I updated the wiki FAQ fairly recently on that. NDIS under Windows does seem to work pretty well.

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 01:37:18 pm »
@Zear: Thank you very, very much for the How To!!! My friends are NOT going to believe that you can multi-play w/ a device this cheap. Now they'll buy one.

P.S. I use Linux per default now a days so meddling w/ shell scrpts etc. shouldn't be a problem. :)
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

zear (OP)

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:17 pm »
@Meneer Jansen
This method will also work with other multiplayer capable games on Dingux. Namely:
* prboom (czdoom)
* d1x/d2x-rebirth
* openjazz

SDLquake unfortunatelly won't work due to an in-game bug freezing the device which tries to join.

I hope China Chip or Dingoo Tech are reading this, so they can see how VERY important a wireless (or wired via usb host) connection on their handhelds is. Moreover, I have a remood (doom/heretic engine) dingux port brewing on my pc which is cappable of a split-screen multiplayer up to 4 players. Would be neat to play this with wireless controllers and tv-out :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:00:58 pm by zear »

mindw0rk

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 05:11:53 pm »
I hope China Chip or Dingoo Tech are reading this, so they can see how VERY important a wireless (or wired via usb host) connection on their handhelds is. Moreover, I have a remood (doom/heretic engine) dingux port brewing on my pc which is cappable of a split-screen multiplayer up to 4 players. Would be neat to play this with wireless controllers and tv-out :)

Now if they did that, I'm already seeing mmo's on the next CC/DT console.

criminalbyte

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 07:54:39 am »
Fantastic release thankyou, although mine seems to crash during the loading screen at differant % on episode "THE BIRTH" any ideas please :'(

zear (OP)

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 10:50:46 am »
Fantastic release thankyou, although mine seems to crash during the loading screen at differant % on episode "THE BIRTH" any ideas please :'(
You basically need swap to run the 4th episode. You can try disabling the music, that should free some ram, although there's still a chance it will freeze on loading, so swap is still necessary. Also, try to skip the intro.

spn-x

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »
I wanted to install "NAM" .. it works,but the screen isn't 320*240 .. it's bigger ..how di I fix this ?
My Dingoo : Dingux // dmenu 0.3 ; gmenu2x // Native : FW 1.2
                    Joystick Mod

abstauber

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 05:12:59 pm »
Hi zear,

I've just checked it and I'm totally impressed - the performance is just breathtaking!

There's also one tiny issue: the right trigger doesn't work. When I set it up, the game recognizes it as 'backspace' but in the game, nothing happens.

Apart from that, this port is totally amazing! 

zear (OP)

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »
There's also one tiny issue: the right trigger doesn't work. When I set it up, the game recognizes it as 'backspace' but in the game, nothing happens.
Right trigger is mapped as weapon/item selection. By itself it doesn't do anything, but if you hold it down, D-PAD up/down will work as weapon selection, while D-PAD left/right as item selection.

If for some reason this doesn't work, you can just go to "keyboard setup" in the options menu and map the right shoulder as "DPAD SELECT".

Also keep in mind that duke3d requires swap to be enabled for some heavier levels. If the game freezes on loading a map, it's a signal you need to turn the swap on ;)

I wanted to install "NAM" .. it works,but the screen isn't 320*240 .. it's bigger ..how di I fix this ?
NAM must be using it's own config file. Find it and change the default resolution. You could also do it from the in-game options menu.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:34:48 pm by zear »

abstauber

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011, 07:55:00 am »
Ah alright, thanks for sorting this out. Unfortunately I totally suck at Duke3D without dedicated strafe buttons - but hey, it's fun at "Piece of Cake" ;)

zear (OP)

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 11:18:31 am »
Ah alright, thanks for sorting this out. Unfortunately I totally suck at Duke3D without dedicated strafe buttons - but hey, it's fun at "Piece of Cake" ;)
Well, B + left/right works very well as strafe. You just have to get used to it. I completed the whole game on "Let's rock", and the only problem with this way of strafing was during the boss battles, where you had to run strafing, facing the boss and shooting at him at the same time. But after few tries I was able to beat the bosses.

topera

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 12:37:22 pm »
Same problem here, i cant save. duke bronken and when i try angain crash again. i did everything from instructions but can't load or save

zear (OP)

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2011, 09:47:31 am »
Same problem here, i cant save. duke bronken and when i try angain crash again. i did everything from instructions but can't load or save
Turn the swap on. I remember saving/loading was a problem for some levels if you had no swap.

Chibiko

• nature!
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 09:51:40 am »

This is great! And really works.
But there's a question. If I have one Dingoo a320 with OpenDingux and a PC with Linux? I have failed to make possible the game through the multiplayer. Dingoo was just a gamepad for eduke32, who acting the role of the server on PC.
And how to make it possible have multiplayer between the dingoo and PC?

Dingoo: OpenDingux First end-user release; eduke32 release #3
PC: Linux 3.2.0-35-generic x86_64; old eduke32 versions
sssssssssssssssswap !

zear (OP)

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 12:41:47 pm »
You have to have a compatible version of the networking code. The best way is to compile the x86_64 version from the sources bundled with the dingoo build. I suggest the PC is the server, it's more reliable for this task.

Post a new topic