Author Topic: dxx-rebirth updated  (Read 15868 times)

zear (OP)

dxx-rebirth updated
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:06:43 pm »
Hey guys, I've updated my port of d1x-rebirth, as well as ported d2x-rebirth.

d1x-rebirth

Changelog:
Code: [Select]
Release #2 13/04/2010
* a new resolution available: 320x200 (centered)
* redesigned level selection screen
* removed redundant options from the menu
* autonaming save states
* demo record/playback
* autonaming demo files
* ability to delete save/player/demo/hi-score data
* config and player files now stored in ./config
* compiled with profiling

If you want to use player data/save sates from the previous version (release 1), you need to move them from /local/home/.d1x-rebirth into ./config.

Download:
Dingoo file archive: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,292
Sendspace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/n8bwjr

d2x-rebirth

Changelog:
Code: [Select]
Changelog:
Release #1 13/04/2010
* initial release based on v0.55.1
* merged all changes from d1x dingux port
* compiled with profiling

Download:
Dingoo file archive: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,342
Sendspace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/oospy4

Here's also a link containing both d1x-rebirth and d2x-rebirth ports:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4wdvwd
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:48:11 am by zear »

Chris23235

Re: dxx-rebirth updated
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 10:15:06 pm »
Thanks a lot, will look for my Descent 2 CD to give it a try.

EDIT: The Intro video shows nothing, I only have sound. I use the -h (high quality I presume) version of the intro file, cause it was the only one on my CD.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:33:43 pm by Chris23235 »

SiENcE

• Crank Gaming (Dingux Apps)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:27:51 pm »
Nice :).

Now i need decent ;).

zear (OP)

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:29:16 pm »
EDIT: The Intro video shows nothing, I only have sound. I use the -h (high quality I presume) version of the intro file, cause it was the only one on my CD.
Into doesn't work for me as well. No idea what's the problem. Maybe it's not supported in dxx.

santino

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:58:35 am »
Yeah nice work zear! The cockpit was really missing. :D

Chris23235

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:29:30 am »
Into doesn't work for me as well. No idea what's the problem. Maybe it's not supported in dxx.

Thanks for the Info Zear. When I get home, I will try, what happens, if I put a 0 Byte dummy file onto the card or what happens, if I delete the intro file.

nigel

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:36:48 pm »
Actually, the movies work great in the normal d2x. I've gotten them to play sound here too, but both the lo and hi res versions only do sound on the dingoo, no image. Same goes for the briefing screens as soon as the movies are in there.

The errors I see (very briefly before the menu appears again) when quitting d2x:
'duh buffer ring overflow' or something like that.

No idea what that means, but it's not there when I delete the movie files (then it just says 'blabla.mvl not found' three times).

For now, I have deleted the movies so I get to see the mission screens.

A small issue in the Dingoo d1x that's not in the Win/Mac d1x 0.5.5.1: if you add the CD audio tracks in the dingoo version, the game will try to search for game09.mp3, game10.mp3 etc after level 8. The Win/Mac version will play game01 at level 9, game02 at 10, etc, like it is supposed to be because there simply weren't more tracks. This is easy to work around by just duplicating the CD audio tracks up to 27.

Another difference is that d1x and d2x announce themselves as v0.55.1 in the menu on the Dingoo version, and as 0.5.5.1 in the PC release. Yes, the dot is missing. I also have been unable to get USB <-> Mac/LinPC network games working, even though both OS X and Linux see the Dingoo on the network (though this could be just me doing something wrong). The audio track thing is *old* d1x/d2x behaviour. All these things combined could maybe mean the source you're currently using is partly outdated? Just mentioning in case this is unintentional.

Unfortunately that's all I could find. No serious flaws, no killer issues, no bug needing massive work. With the screen centering and autonaming it's looking very finished. OK, d2x has many more keys to be assigned and I still have to play that to see what you thought up, but nevertheless, awesome work again!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:50:11 pm by nigel »

zear (OP)

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:20:22 pm »
Actually, the movies work great in the normal d2x. I've gotten them to play sound here too, but both the lo and hi res versions only do sound on the dingoo, no image. Same goes for the briefing screens as soon as the movies are in there.

The errors I see (very briefly before the menu appears again) when quitting d2x:
'duh buffer ring overflow' or something like that.

No idea what that means, but it's not there when I delete the movie files (then it just says 'blabla.mvl not found' three times).

For now, I have deleted the movies so I get to see the mission screens.
Well, I haven't tested the movies yet as I have a version of datafiles without them.
Another difference is that d1x and d2x announce themselves as v0.55.1 in the menu on the Dingoo version, and as 0.5.5.1 in the PC release. Yes, the dot is missing.
Well, I got the source from the official dxx site: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/?Downloads:DXX-Rebirth They're as "v0.55.1" there.
I also have been unable to get USB <-> Mac/LinPC network games working, even though both OS X and Linux see the Dingoo on the network (though this could be just me doing something wrong).
I tested d1x netplay and it worked just fine. But that was with the previous release (r1). (Update: Tested the current version of d1x - netplay is fine)
The audio track thing is *old* d1x/d2x behaviour.
Good to know that.

Unfortunately that's all I could find. No serious flaws, no killer issues, no bug needing massive work. With the screen centering and autonaming it's looking very finished. OK, d2x has many more keys to be assigned and I still have to play that to see what you thought up, but nevertheless, awesome work again!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:23:26 pm by zear »

nigel

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 12:10:07 am »
Hah, got the network problem sorted out now. Wasn't the dingoo, weren't the computers, no, it was the KVM switch, which has a USB port but either USB 1.1 ain't enough, or it just fails somehow since plugging in the dingoo to the computer fixed the problem immediately. With the KVM the computers would get the correct IP, subnet mask, but just not being able to connect with a 'no route to host', 'host is down' or some other error.

Lesson learnt: don't always trust the USB ports on your KVM switch. Weird that the IP and everything appeared fine and instant via DHCP.

As for the source, maybe the dxx binaries on the download page use a slightly updated, unpublished source? I don't know, I just noticed the version number and audio track thing. Feel free to double check though. Nevertheless, both of those are completely unimportant; the d1x audio track thing won't be noticed by anyone not using the PSX/Mac soundtrack - and I suspect I'm the only one using that.

Krehy

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 04:53:43 pm »
Thank you for d1x-rebirth update, works great.

Unfortunatelly, I cannot get d2x-rebirth to work. When I go over the intro (which is not visible, I can only hear disrupted sound) and want to start new game, I get "segmentation fault" message and game exits to gmenu. Any suggestion what's the problem?

edit: I made a change in "d2x.ini" to use "-nomovies" option and the game works now. Thank you for this port.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 05:38:36 pm by Krehy »

pasteur

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 12:14:22 am »
Thank you for d1x-rebirth update, works great.

Unfortunatelly, I cannot get d2x-rebirth to work. When I go over the intro (which is not visible, I can only hear disrupted sound) and want to start new game, I get "segmentation fault" message and game exits to gmenu. Any suggestion what's the problem?

edit: I made a change in "d2x.ini" to use "-nomovies" option and the game works now. Thank you for this port.

Thank you for the discovery. :)

nigel

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 11:31:01 am »
Small, evil suggestion:
Descent 2 has a headlight and an afterburner in addition to Descent 1. The latter is especially handy to catch up to and kill the green 'thief' bot found in every level. The headlight is handy in dark areas, but sucks energy and is 'on' on pickup if you don't tell the game otherwise in the options.

Neither of these have a key attached at the moment.

Maybe these could be mapped to double tabs?

Tab R + hold R in quick succession to activate afterburner, let go to disable. Would work very, very well I think.
Headlight could be a quick double-tab L, or a menu option. Flares and proximity mines could be mapped too this way to the main weapon and strafe keys or so (don't want to accidently fire a missile instead of using a bomb), but those are virtually useless anyway.

I have no idea how hard this is to code, but I thought I'd just make the suggestion :).

zear (OP)

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 06:11:37 pm »
Impossible to code with my current coding knowledge. The key combos hack barely works anyway and adding press-then-hold actions would require a major rewrite. Additionally I intentionally left the game controls untouched as they can be remapped in the options.
As for a menu option - this is more likely to happen. But I have some other priorities now and can't promise I'll implement it in the near future.

But thanks for the idea :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:23:01 pm by zear »

samir

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 03:57:57 am »
Thank zear! Descent is a great game! Works perfects!

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 11:02:07 pm »
No matter what I try, it will not accept my descent.pig and .hog level files. They do not need the 1.4a path do they? (www.dxx-rebirth.com/download-misc)
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 11:32:15 pm »
Appeared I had the demo paks and the "real" paks, indeed, had to be patchd.
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

senator

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 04:19:14 am »
I would like to know how to get this working I tried to follow the directions for DX2 and I put the game files in the data folder but it still wont boot just goes back to the original screen.

ruffnutts

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 04:50:16 pm »
ok got all the files and none of the versions are launching? please help  8)

lol just realised how old this thread is I'm trying to run this on opendingux end user release...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:04:35 pm by ruffnutts »

samir

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:27 pm »
D1x Rebirth not works in OpenDingux  :'(

Rosenkranz

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 06:49:45 pm »
Strange... It works flawlessly on my OpenDingux on Dingoo... What version are you using?