Author Topic: Dingux-Atari: Atari 800/130/5200 Emulator for Dingux v1.1.0  (Read 17941 times)

Kalisiin

Re: Dingux-Atari: Atari 800/130/5200 Emulator for Dingux v1.1.0
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 08:01:42 am »
when i changed the extensions it did not find the roms files at all within the emulator. So i'm going to find a set that are in executable or tape format aka atr or bin

I could PM you a source.  Let me know if you want it.

qbertaddict (OP)

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 08:57:31 am »
sure pm it for me. I responded to your post btw

qbertaddict (OP)

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 11:25:51 am »
I got a response from zx81 on the problems with the buttons on the emulator. He has uploaded a new version that fixes the issues. testing it now :)

Kalisiin

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 11:36:35 am »
I got a response from zx81 on the problems with the buttons on the emulator. He has uploaded a new version that fixes the issues. testing it now :)

Cool.
It won't address the problem of .a52 extensions, though, will it?

qbertaddict (OP)

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 01:05:04 pm »
I found out the problem. If you view the properties of the .a52 files some of them say size 32k, and size on disk 32k all the ones with those properties work other games say size 16k or 4k and the size on disk is 32k those crash the emulator. I sent a message to zx81 to see if I need to change my file headers or if this is a problem with the emulator.

Kalisiin

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 08:09:07 am »
The EMU does not find the .bin files from just "Load ROM" you have to go into the Atari blue-screen to load them.  And the same appears for A52 files. (well, the A52 files will show up, but not load, that way...you still have to load THOSE from the Atari bluescreen)
I don't know about .ATR files...I don't have any.

So, it would seem, with this EMU, you always have to load from the bluescreen.  In which case, I have a convenient way to always get it right when loading carts...rename the cart to include what kind of cart it is, after the game name, for example Berzerk 2Chip.A52, Defender 1Chip.A52 etc.

Mostly, now, this EMU is working out better, but, some games do not work with the key configuration, and I can't seem to figure how you set them for a single game.  Moon Patrol, for example, comes to mind...you have a fire button, but no jump button...not good!!  You need both to play that game.  Likewise, Pole Position, there does not appear to be a button which acts as your shifter, so you are stuck in only low gear.

Also, still can't make Defender and a few others like it...to actually start, they have like, an option screen I can't seem to get past.

A few other games do not work out well, because of the controller itself, Missile Command comes to mind here, you can't accurately control the crosshairs.  also, Gorf is bad, because you can only show up on left edge, right edge, or dead middle, it does not "smooth-scroll" move your shooter...and, if you move to an edge, and then let go, it snaps you back to center...very tough to line up shots this way.  But this is likely the ROM and not the fault of the EMU.

I'd sure like to figure how to get Defender working....how to configure buttons for individual games, so I could play games like Moon Patrol or Pole Position.

Some games I'm going to get rid of, just because they aren't really playable...like Missile Command and Gorf, are, in my opinion, unplayable - probably due to faults with the ROM itself and not the EMU.

This EMU is now working out much better, now that I know how to load games and we have a correct key configuration so that games can be started.  Still, there's room for improvement here.  And the README file really needs to get updated to reflect how you do all this stuff.

qbertaddict (OP)

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 12:30:51 pm »
The reason for gorf and other games not moving smoothly is because of the way the atari 5200 joysticks were they were not autocentering joysticks

As for loading from the cart menu according to Zx81 the emu will only boot 32k games without the blue menu. The others have to be launched from the blue screen menu

Long

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 04:51:32 pm »
THERE IS JUST NOTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE YOU CAN SET SOMETHING AS A FREAKING START BUTTON!!
I HATE THIS EMU....IT SUCKS.

for your information, ATARI 800\52 is not just a game console, it was a Personal Computer (pc) and this is impossible to made one START button for all games. maybe you never operate real ATARI so i can tell you this absolutely serious. Yes, There is NO possibility to make "START" button on emulator  keyboard and never been  ;)
Also I can say you this is GREAT emulator and it runs 99% ATARI roms, and i play it with great pleasure, TNX ZX-81!!
Dear Kalisiin, you just need a learn how to run different cartriges on this emu so be patient and try to read ZX-81's Help
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:54:52 pm by Long »

Long

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 04:53:54 pm »
glitch doublepost sorry

spike

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 07:38:06 pm »
I haven't tried any 5200 game yet so I can't comment on any problems other people are having. I can however, say that running classic atari 800 games has been very enjoyable. I tested many titles including Boulderdash I, Boulderdash II, Blue Max, Bristles, Drelbs, Rescue on Fractalus, Encounter,Preppie, Sea Dragon and Fort Apocalypse. They all ran well and having features like save states, really adds to the portability of these great games, where you can easily pick up where you left off.

Heh, I remember as a kid, waiting ages for Tale of Beta Lyrae to load on my old 800's tape deck, before I invested in a floppy drive. Now it loads in a instant. Ain't technology marvelous.

Kalisiin

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 09:47:05 pm »
THERE IS JUST NOTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE YOU CAN SET SOMETHING AS A FREAKING START BUTTON!!

for your information, ATARI 800\52 is not just a game console, it was a Personal Computer (pc) and this is impossible to made one START button for all games. maybe you never operate real ATARI so i can tell you this absolutely serious. Yes, There is NO possibility to make "START" button on emulator  keyboard and never been  ;)
Also I can say you this is GREAT emulator and it runs 99% ATARI roms, and i play it with great pleasure, TNX ZX-81!!
Dear Kalisiin, you just need a learn how to run different cartriges on this emu so be patient and try to read ZX-81's Help

The problem is...ZX-81's README files didn't SAY all of this stuff.  I had absolutely NO idea how to make anything work on it.
People should not ASSUME that others know things...it should have been included in the README file, because then I would have known what to do.

I'd sure like to know how you go about programming custom buttons, for just one game, so that I can make games like Moon Patrol, mentioned above, playable...by giving myself a "Jump" button.

Likewise, I'd sure like to know how I get past the "option" screen on Defender, and actually select one of the options, so I can actually PLAY the game!!

An EMU is good only if you actually get to use it to PLAY THE GAMES YOU WANT TO PLAY.

So far, several of the games I want to play...I can't.

However...I'm now able to play a lot more of them than I was first able to...thanks to help from Mr. Driller, mostly....who provided info that ZX-81 SHOULD HAVE PUT IN THE FRIGGING README FILE!!

So, this EMU now rates a little better in my view than when I first posted that.

Nevertheless...the 7800 EMU is a HELL OF A LOT EASIER TO USE

I would have read ZX-81's help...had he actually provided any!!  He simply assumed everyone knew certain things that I did not know.

Kalisiin

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 09:48:49 pm »
The reason for gorf and other games not moving smoothly is because of the way the atari 5200 joysticks were they were not autocentering joysticks

As for loading from the cart menu according to Zx81 the emu will only boot 32k games without the blue menu. The others have to be launched from the blue screen menu

It doesn't seem to boot ANY of mine, without the blue menu.  I'll try again, but I seem to be forced into using the blue menu.  and a lot of my files ARE 32k...still need the blue menu.  (which was never mentioned in the original README file, I might add!!)

Chris23235

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 10:01:45 pm »

The problem is...ZX-81's README files didn't SAY all of this stuff.  I had absolutely NO idea how to make anything work on it.
People should not ASSUME that others know things...it should have been included in the README file, because then I would have known what to do.

I'd sure like to know how you go about programming custom buttons, for just one game, so that I can make games like Moon Patrol, mentioned above, playable...by giving myself a "Jump" button.

Likewise, I'd sure like to know how I get past the "option" screen on Defender, and actually select one of the options, so I can actually PLAY the game!!

An EMU is good only if you actually get to use it to PLAY THE GAMES YOU WANT TO PLAY.

So far, several of the games I want to play...I can't.

However...I'm now able to play a lot more of them than I was first able to...thanks to help from Mr. Driller, mostly....who provided info that ZX-81 SHOULD HAVE PUT IN THE FRIGGING README FILE!!

So, this EMU now rates a little better in my view than when I first posted that.

Nevertheless...the 7800 EMU is a HELL OF A LOT EASIER TO USE

I would have read ZX-81's help...had he actually provided any!!  He simply assumed everyone knew certain things that I did not know.

I found it no problem configuring the keys for the 5200. I don't really see your problem. I had to look it up myself the first time, I quickly discovered the menu with the keyboard mapping settings, tried, which keys I can map and stumbled instantly over the fact, the there is a c_start button and a 5200_start button. I found this pretty self explanitory.

If you insist on playing the 5200 version of the games, I think you know what the 5200 was, in comparsion to the 8-Bit computers. An emulator often requires minimal knowledge about the emulated system, if you don't have these, you will often run into problems. No readme can provide all required information. By the way, you can still download the docs for the Atari800 emulator to get more information.

Kalisiin

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 11:09:41 pm »

I found it no problem configuring the keys for the 5200. I don't really see your problem. I had to look it up myself the first time, I quickly discovered the menu with the keyboard mapping settings, tried, which keys I can map and stumbled instantly over the fact, the there is a c_start button and a 5200_start button. I found this pretty self explanitory.

If you insist on playing the 5200 version of the games, I think you know what the 5200 was, in comparsion to the 8-Bit computers. An emulator often requires minimal knowledge about the emulated system, if you don't have these, you will often run into problems. No readme can provide all required information. By the way, you can still download the docs for the Atari800 emulator to get more information.

Will you please link to this "mapping settings" page...so that I know where to find these settings....and also please explain to me how you go about changing them for single games as needed?

I'm sorry but I am VERY new at this, and don't know how to do it.

I learn quick...but need to be specifically told...the first time.  The only way I learn is if someone will teach me.  Will you?

Chris23235

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 11:28:15 pm »
Just start the emulator, press select and enter the Keyboard menu. Here you can map every Key of the original hardware to a button on your Dingoo. Just select the button on the Dingoo and decide what key you will map.
If you change anything before you load a game and save it, it is saved as the default values, that are loaded, when the emulator starts. If you change anything after you loaded a game the settings will be saved as the keyboard settings for the game and they are loaded automatically whenever you start a game.

qbertaddict (OP)

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 04:29:11 am »
I also posted a cfg file that works for me and a few others who have tried it. Also when you say your carts are 32k make sure you look at actual size. The size on disk will say 32k but the actual size is 4k or 16k. BTW the atari 800 is much more fun has good joystick support and boots .atr files directly from the launch not the blue menu.

Kalisiin

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 03:54:27 pm »
Just start the emulator, press select and enter the Keyboard menu. Here you can map every Key of the original hardware to a button on your Dingoo. Just select the button on the Dingoo and decide what key you will map.
If you change anything before you load a game and save it, it is saved as the default values, that are loaded, when the emulator starts. If you change anything after you loaded a game the settings will be saved as the keyboard settings for the game and they are loaded automatically whenever you start a game.

OK, but HOW?!?!!?!?

I do not understand how to map the keys.
For example, how do I give Moon Patrol a frigging JUMP button, when there is nothing listed as being for JUMP in the first place??

Chris23235

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2009, 08:19:49 pm »

OK, but HOW?!?!!?!?

I do not understand how to map the keys.
For example, how do I give Moon Patrol a frigging JUMP button, when there is nothing listed as being for JUMP in the first place??

You have to know which button on the original hardware was for jumping. How on earth should the emulator know which button was used for what in every game (there are several thousand games out for the Atari 8 Bit hardware). A good guess is, that in the 5200 Version button 1 is for fire and button 2 was for jumping.
A quick google search for the manual of the game reveals, this is the fact (search moon patrol 5200 manual = http://www.atariage.com/system_items.html?SystemID=5200&ItemTypeID=MANUAL).
We already stated, that the 2nd button isn't working in Dingux-Atari, this seems to be a bug. Ok, what can we do about it? We can use the Atari 8 Bit Computer version (same hardware as the 5200, different controller, the Atari Computer Joystick had only 1 Button), vo?la, this version uses the UP direction to jump. So you can take this version and decide, if you want to jump with UP or with a button in the second case, just map the UP direction to the button you like. Done.

EDIT: Anybody with XEX files, just go into the Atari Menu and use the option "Run Atari Programm", now you can start the XEX files, which the Dingux-Atari GUI doesn't recognize.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:21:33 pm by Chris23235 »

Kalisiin

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 09:27:17 pm »
So this 5200 Atari only has one working button.

Hummm...I think I'll mostly stick with 2600 and 7800 then.  Both are far easier.
For that matter, so is Lynx.

I'm beginning to think 5200 isn't worth the trouble.

Jolu42

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 10:30:45 pm »
Wow. I haven't looked at this topic since my last post. If you're this frustrated with the emu then don't use it. It's just the 5200 for god's sakes. This system wasn't that great anyway.

http://www.screwattack.com/AVGN/2007/Atari5200 :)

Post a new topic
Post a new topic