Author Topic: [UPDATED][RELEASE] 64MB Dingux for A330  (Read 46048 times)

darkborn

Re: [UPDATED][RELEASE] 64MB Dingux for A330
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2011, 04:36:25 am »
SOLUTION FOR 64MB DINGUX PROBLEMS FOR WINDOWS USERS:
Hi all,
I think I've managed to get dingux on my a330 but when I press "select" and power on to boot the dingux, i get the dingux screen (black background with penguin 64mb) but then lots of white text which is very small and hard to read.
Yep, it is same thing I got. Fortunately, I red that small text and find out what's wrong:
Code: [Select]
FATAL: cannot mount /dev/mmcblk0,/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot (17)
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
Obviously, Linux cannot mount p1 partition on your mmc (sd) card.
I SOLVED THE MAIN MISTERY...maybe :)
To make long story short:
64MB Dingux @A330 does not like factory formatted (raw filesystem without partition table) SD Memory Card in combination of:  4+GB/FAT32/SDHC cardtype (or maybe just some part of it?) !
Dingux needs to see partition at your SD card; however, Windows XP etc are not able to do it by default (I made some easy hack I'll explain later). Factory format of your SD card won't work. But, I did not know what exactly type of partition Dingux needs, so I re-formatted card with FAT16 (aka FAT/DOS aka FAT vulgaris).
It works for Dingux, but there are 2 trade-offs:
1) "Native" Dingoo OS can't use/see files
on that SD card anymore. I suppose that it is because FAT16 has limitation of 2GB. I formatted 4GB (I could not recommend it, but it works for Dingux!). If I want to start game (from Dingoo), e.g. "*.GBA" file, it can't be seen (but folders could). Browser can see all files(!), but froze when I try to use them.
2) Seems that copying of files is 50% slower then before: especially little files (Dingux is, as most of Linux flavours, by default full of those). It is cluster size problem I think. Because of possible speed problem, I suggest 2 things: use "Minimal local pack" http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-releases/minimal-local-pack/ for the 1st time, without add-ons, games etc. If it works, you can improve it later. Other thing is that you make virtual image of your card (and copy hundreds of your little roms quickly to that image on your hdd). WHen you copy it like one stream, it will get full speed (it's only 1 file)! I'm not aware of free tools to do it at Windoze: I know of RoadKil's Disk Utilities, but not sure is it enough.
I formatted SD card at Windows with Windows Enabler from http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/speedload/Enabler.htm which enables you to do it, even with FAT16 system if you want. Be carefull with this tool, it enables you things Windows won't let you for a reason sometimes! :)
I 1st erased "partition" (which was not) at "Disk Management", then formatted "Unallocated" space.
Here is a quick how to (back-up 1st!), and detailed one
Other solutions:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-general/8-gb-card-not-working-with-dingux/
xdpirate succesed with 8GB SDHC (@320), and he did it with FAT32 file system, linux-way. Maybe I should did it too... (It's too late, I don't have Dingoo now, I just made favour to my friend)
There is official SD Formatter, but I did not try it because it xdpirate said that it did not help him.
Also, I heard about Paragon Partition Manager but I didn't want to mess with a trial version.
There is a Roadkil's Special Disk Maker (for all Windows), which force a flash card to be a 2GB FAT16 partition no matter its size.
----
It is possible that hardware can't see above 2gb, or it is not fully compatible with SDHC standard (cluster size). However, it is not likely, I think there are just firmware glitches that could be avoided.
E.G.: I have Philips DVD player with limitations of cca 500GB HDD to be connected via USB. If I connect 1TB, just part of files are visible!
It is hardware (firmware?) limitation, but strange one because it works partially. I heard of solution: Partition your drive to 2x500GB and You'll get full 500gb visible. But say goodbye to watching movies from 2nd partition. It reminds me on this [email protected] SDHC...
According to this, possible solution is to make 2nd partition for Linux (Dingux) only. 1st will be viewable to both systems (and games on it too).
Other solution is to do it at Linux as xdpirate did; seems that it is working solution. However, I didn't make it through Mint Live (privilegies?), and I gave up to do it through Linux right now. It should be possible through http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-games-and-homebrew/gameboygameboy-color/ by Big Booboo guides, but I didn't try it.
Good luck!

Update: I remade process but with FAT32. Everything works now, SD card (4GB SDHC) is full readable by native Dingoo & Dingux. Copying is now much faster, and, the most important: Both kernels (Stephanie's 64MB-old, SiENcE's 64MB) are readable/working without problems! FAT16 @4GB was obviously mistake. Windows Enabler (& JkDefrag/MyDefrag) is adequate solution for ("forced"  card formatting/defragging).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 05:16:32 am by darkborn »

Strawhat

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2011, 02:51:31 pm »
That Dingux is for Dingoo A330 or Gemei A330?  ???

darfgarf

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2011, 02:55:39 pm »
well seing as the ga330 doesn't run linux, the dingoo one

jsteel

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2011, 04:15:43 pm »
Hi,

In the README file it states:

>Your mini-SD card should have a rootfs file and a local pack installed. Please refer to this
>page at the DingooWiki for information about these files.
>http://dingoowiki.com/index.php/Dingux:About

This link is dead, is there anywhere else I can get these files? I've searched and tried some "local packs" but either they do not boot or they do not work properly. Which should I be using?

Many thanks

jagotu

• * Former Staff
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2011, 06:15:45 pm »
If you want the regular dingux, your best choice is minimal local pack: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4BNRLQ4U
Sorry guys for not caring about dingoonity lately. It was nice to be with you, and maybe I'll come back, but not now...

L.Orion

• My Blog!
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2013, 01:40:36 pm »
And how can i install the driver in Windows 7? it says me that the driver is not compatible also ond win 8 the same error

Schwarzy666

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2014, 10:30:42 am »
Hi dudes, here is the new link for the bootloader :

http://www.4shared.com/zip/fVEIDCKaba/dingux.html

Jonesey

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2016, 04:24:04 pm »
The updated link to this bootloader is alas now broken too. I've just managed to get hold of an A330 to replace my finally expired A320 and wonder if anyone knows where this bootloader might be found please?

cronot

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2016, 08:01:45 pm »
The updated link to this bootloader is alas now broken too. I've just managed to get hold of an A330 to replace my finally expired A320 and wonder if anyone knows where this bootloader might be found please?

This kind of concerns me too: My A320 is still alive and kicking (changed the battery recently, so I expect to crank out a couple more years out of it), but I'm really considering buying an A330 to replace it possibly later this year.

I was a bit scared by your post initially, but then I realized this concerns legacy Dingux, which I've ditched a long time ago in favor of OpenDingux. OpenDingux supports both A320 and A330 out of the box, and all the links on the installation page on the wiki are still working - though it may be a good idea to back them up because I foresee it being gone in the not so far future, since all development on the Dingoo is mostly abandoned at this point (and one might say even on OpenDingux as well).

Jonesey

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2016, 07:32:58 am »
You still need the boot loader from Stephanie's package if you want access to the full memory of the A330. It's mentioned in the Open Dingux FAQ page under the 'Can I use the full SRAM of my A330?' section.

cronot

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2016, 02:47:32 pm »
Oh, I see now, you need the bootloader. And yes, it looks like Stephanie nuked it :(

Well, fortunately you can still get it through the wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110724014231/http://planetstephanie.net/uploads/dingux-330.zip

Jonesey

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2016, 07:07:20 pm »
Well spotted many thanks   :)

Post a new topic