• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Nothing Dingux working right...  (Read 2960 times)

Nazo (OP)

Nothing Dingux working right...
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:33:24 am »
Please bear with me in this, it's my nature to be thorough both in details and the stuff I've tried along the way (so it's a long post.)

Ok, I just dug my Dingoo A320 out of storage after not using it for a very long time now.  I wanted in particular to play a particular PCE game.  Unfortunately, the stock firmware emulator seems to not emulate that game correctly.  I was also hoping that I could maybe play some Famicom Disk System games like the FDS version of Dracula 2 (Castlevania 2) which has much better music IMO since there's a fceu port (and at least on the PSP fceu supports FDS.)  So I thought I'd use Dingux, but apparently my old memory card with my Dingux setup is long gone, dedicated to other stuff in the interim (it has been some time since I used my A320...)  It was fun to discover that local packs are gone now and all so terribly outdated that they aren't even remotely usable (plus most were hosted on Megaupload...)  Given how rarely things are updated I don't really understand that since one local pack could stay alive for a very long time today now that Dingoo development has slowed to an absolute crawl, but one from two years ago is still a bit pushing it.  For a while I couldn't even remember where things were supposed to go (eg what sort of filesystem layout it expects to see) so had to look at an old pack and kind of copy it (albeit without any of the old files actually placed on the card -- I mostly copied the directories and left most of them empty just so I'd know where everything needed to go.)  It's definitely not super-easy to start over from scratch.

Anyway, I tried getting the latest of the "Legacy Dingux" first and it doesn't work at all.  It just stays on the boot logo and nothing happens.  It's completely frozen as even holding the power button does nothing.  (Oh, and I'm using the correct kernel for my display driver, but then as I recall if you use the wrong one it does start to boot, just obviously doesn't work right.)  Well, I was reading that OpenDingux is better as it fixes a lot of stuff that "Legacy Dingux" left since it hasn't really been significantly updated in a very very long time (I get the impression that the latest version is mostly just to support the new display driver with the new A320 run?)  I updated the bootloader just in case anything was changed there, but no difference that I can see.  Still just freezes.  The files are definitely named correctly based on what the instructions say they are supposed to be named.

Anyway, I grabbed the latest Open Dingux from the official website and put the appropriate kernel and rootfs.bin file on my memory card (removing the old ones first, so there's no chance of conflicts.)  This one starts up and I get gmenu2x, but beyond that it's still basically non-working.  First, the built-in gmenu2x won't really let me do anything.  At first, if I tried to change any settings, it would freeze when I hit start to actually save the settings.  I'm not sure what exactly I did that fixed that, but I think it was when I created a .gmenu2x directory under the /local/home directory on the card after finally finding out that it's supposed to be keeping its settings there.  Interestingly, while it won't freeze when saving the settings and it shows the settings the same every time I go to the menu, it's apparently not actually saving them because those settings are gone the next time I reboot.  However, I still can't actually create shortcuts for emulators or games.  It just freezes up as soon as I select the emulator's dge file.  Eventually the screen shuts off, but the system is still on and running Dingux.  It won't respond if I hold the power button, so it's just draining away at the battery.  I have to manually reset to do anything.  Alternately, in both the original case I mentioned and in cases like this, if I remove the memory card, it suddenly works again, but of course the memory card is improperly unmounted and the filesystem is basically broken.  If I try to run anything manually through the explorer application, I see a console with some text flash by so fast that I can't read anything (and I'm a fast reader!)  If there's any way to display the console like they used to have (I guess that was back in the days of dmenu?) I couldn't find it.

Given the fact that everything that actually involved writing has failed, I tried reformatting the memory card using just the standard Windows format utility (with an allocation unit size of 32K since it's an SDHC card) and of course it is a single partition, not a partition-less drive (I verified using fdisk in linux, it definitely has a single FAT32 partition and is not a partition-less drive.)  I also tried HP's USB format utility in case it was any better, but still the same results.  As far as I can really determine, there's absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with the filesystem of the card.

Well, I thought I'd try updating gmenu2x just in case it is the issue.  (Especially since the about menu shows that the built-in one is a beta version.)  I searched around for the latest version and didn't have a lot of luck, but did find this thread:  http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-releases/gmenu2x-for-dingux-!/210/  The last post appears to be actually relatively recent (only last month of this very year -- definitely way ahead of practically everything else Dingoo related...)  After I finally figured out what I had to do to actually run the new menu (it's no longer "main" but now is "frontend_start" with OpenDingux) I got it to start, but unfortunately it doesn't work.  I get a console where I see an error message "failed opening mixer for write - VOLUME" followed eventually by a segmentation fault.  It just keeps repeating this over and over as apparently OpenDingux keeps just rerunning the script over and over I guess.  (All the rest of the text seems ok as far as I can tell.)  Holding the power button again does nothing and I have to hit the reset button.  (I thought a daemon was supposed to handle the power button now?)  I tried googling around, but couldn't find anything about what could possibly be causing this or perhaps some way around it.  I didn't even see some volume-related script in the gmenu2x stuff that I could delete or something (though honestly, I really do want it to set the volume higher than zero on startup if at all possible.)

At this point, I've wasted basically all of one of my few off-days from work trying to make this work and not playing the game I wanted to play.  I'm probably going to have to go with my PSP (the same game runs just fine with PCE on PSP,) but I really prefer to use my A320 for games of this sort of nature due to it being a lot more comfortable, the control layout being far more like those retro controllers (sans the Nintendoitis due to a better design) especially for NES/Famicom games and the fact that it is lighter and smaller among a bunch of other little things.  Plus I was hoping to put some CD games on here since my PSP's memory card just can't possibly hold any more.  I kind of miss my A320 anyway.  I really kind of wish I still had the old card with the old filesystem and outdated stuff that at least actually worked...

pcercuei

• My devblog
Re: Nothing Dingux working right...
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:02:24 am »
First of all, your problem with legacy Dingux is well known. To get it to boot, format your card, and put the zImage first, then the rootfs file.

About the old gmenu2x, it won't start on OD, it tries to use interfaces that have been removed.
And all the shortcuts to reboot / power off among others are documented here.

Then, regarding OpenDingux. Are you sure you downloaded the latest version (developer v2)? It looks like that your SD card is mounted read-only, which is indeed not normal. You mentionned Linux, try to use gparted to format it; It offers the possibility to create a real partition table, on which you can create a FAT32 filesystem. It never failed on me.

Nazo (OP)

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:47:31 pm »
First of all, your problem with legacy Dingux is well known. To get it to boot, format your card, and put the zImage first, then the rootfs file.
You have got to be kidding...  Well, if I can't get OD to work I'll do that.  I swear it never required that before though...

About the old gmenu2x, it won't start on OD, it tries to use interfaces that have been removed.
Er, the one built into the OpenDingux rootfs is version 10 something and beta.  The newer one I was trying was 11 something.  So I guess it's not really "old" per se.  If I have to have some version specially for that, where can I find it?

And all the shortcuts to reboot / power off among others are documented here.
According to that you only have to do that if you want to change the shortcuts, but I'm fine with the defaults.

Then, regarding OpenDingux. Are you sure you downloaded the latest version (developer v2)?
I downloaded it from the official site:  http://www.treewalker.org/opendingux/.  It is developer v2 released late last year.

It looks like that your SD card is mounted read-only, which is indeed not normal.
It's hard to really say for sure though.  The menu definitely isn't working correctly, but is that because the filesystem is actually read only or because something else is causing it to not write data?  And if so, this still begs the question of WHY it is read only if this is the case.

You mentionned Linux, try to use gparted to format it; It offers the possibility to create a real partition table, on which you can create a FAT32 filesystem. It never failed on me.
It has a real partition table with a single FAT32 partition.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:00:46 pm »
Er, the one built into the OpenDingux rootfs is version 10 something and beta.  The newer one I was trying was 11 something.  So I guess it's not really "old" per se.  If I have to have some version specially for that, where can I find it?
The version of gmenu2x you linked is very old, obsolete, and unsupported on OD. The version inside OD is constantly built on latest sources from the Qi-Hardware repository. The reason why it's written "version 0.10-test4" on the about page is that we never bothered to update it.

Quote from: Nazo
Holding the power button again does nothing and I have to hit the reset button
Holding the power button won't shutdown OpenDingux. That's why I linked the FAQ.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:04:00 pm by Ayla »

Nazo (OP)

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 05:06:33 am »
So I've spent a few hours fighting this again tonight and still no progress.  First, I tried another Dingoo A320.  This one a slightly later model with the 9331 screen.  While I was working on the memory card, I tried wiping the partition table and rewriting it using fdisk first.  I formatted it differently this time, though I forget exactly what I did now (this was hours ago.)  It actually almost seemed to be working a bit better at first.  Gmenu2x was able to save its settings and the reboot and shutdown commands worked correctly without getting stuck and without me having to remove the memory card.  Sadly, that's where the positive results ended.  I still can't add links to programs (nothing happens when I ok the link.  It doesn't freeze, but no link is created either.)  When I try to run stuff through the explorer, still nothing works.  As before, when I try to run stuff like the dingux-hugo emulator I just get a quick flash of a console that goes by too fast for me to read.  I tried enabling the logging option, but it looks like the logs aren't kept on the memory card (I guess in the internal filesystem in memory or something?)  It says in the title that you use the log viewer app, but I have no such thing in my basically empty menus nor any clue even where to try to look for such a thing if it did exist.

So I gave up and used gparted even though I'd rather fdisk (and it's kind of a pain because I mostly use text-only live setups, so had to switch to a GUI.)  I created a new partition table entirely and a new FAT32 partition.  Back to the old problem.  Gmenu2x's settings are not being saved and the reboot and power off commands freeze up unless I pull out the memory card just as before.

The version of gmenu2x you linked is very old, obsolete, and unsupported on OD. The version inside OD is constantly built on latest sources from the Qi-Hardware repository. The reason why it's written "version 0.10-test4" on the about page is that we never bothered to update it.
Ouch.  That's kind of confusing.  Very well, I'll stick with the built-in one.  I didn't really care what version it was really, I just wanted to eliminate gmenu2x itself as a variable in this issue by using a different version to see if it had the same problem or not -- particularly just in case there was a bug in this particular version or something.  That makes this rather a lot harder to really tell...

Quote from: Nazo
Holding the power button again does nothing and I have to hit the reset button
Holding the power button won't shutdown OpenDingux. That's why I linked the FAQ.
[/quote]
Ah, seems like it should to me, but oh well.

Post a new topic