Author Topic: Can't Get GMENU to Load After Flash (a320 ILI9325)  (Read 8881 times)

hardflip177 (OP)

Can't Get GMENU to Load After Flash (a320 ILI9325)
« on: November 05, 2013, 07:45:39 am »
Hi Guys,

I just got an a320 and went on youtube and followed some of qbertaddict1's tutorials. I first put on the dingoonity 1.2 custom firmware which works pretty good. I am hearing great things about Open Dingux and followed the flashing tutorial and have set up my sd card with the zImage and rootfs and even the Local file. I just keep getting stuck on the DINGUX load screen and it never loads to GMENU.

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to uninstall Dingoonity custom firmware 1.2? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!!!!

hardflip177 (OP)

Re: Can't Get GMENU to Load After Flash (a320 ILI9325)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 07:50:04 am »
Oh, and I have been holding down select when starting the dingoo. Just sits on the DINGUX screen for a minute and doesnt move.....

HercTNT

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:42:53 am »
I'm gonna take a guess here not knowing what size your sd card is. If I remember correctly some cards are finicky, especially the larger ones. the solution I believe is to format the card for fat32, put your rootfs and zimage files on the sdcard, then defrag it to align the files correctly. I don't remember were I read that or i would give you a link.

zear

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:29:00 am »
You're probably renaming the kernel to zImage.bin and the rootfs to rootfs.bin.bin, thanks to the Windows hiding file extensions and letting you edit only the name part. Enable showing file extensions and properly rename the files to "zImage" (without extension!) and "rootfs.bin".

HercTNT

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 05:15:44 pm »
ahh crap Zear's right. i forgot about that. thanks for the save Zear.

hardflip177 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:27:46 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll give both of those a try. I thought I had enabled file extension viewing, but I'll try again. I have a 16gb micro sd card so it could be the card issue too. I'll report back.

This is the best community I have ever joined. People are super helpful!!!

hardflip177 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 02:13:06 am »
I double checked that my card's root has zImage and rootfs.bin with file extensions showing. Any other recommendations?

I have a 16gb sandisk micro sd card running through a mini adapter.

HercTNT

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 10:13:00 pm »
You might want to try checking the file extensions from the command prompt to ensure they are correct. What Zear was referring to, is zimage in windows my actually be zimage.bin and you cannot see it. now, if you already checked the file this way, i apologize, i just don't know anything else to check. so here is what you do. copy your zimage and rootfs to your c: drive. no folders, just drop them right on the main disk. I'm assuming your using windows. If so. click start/programs/accessories/command prompt. you will get alittle black window. type cd.. then type it again cd.. to make sure you are in the root of the c: drive. now type dir, this will show you the contents of the c: drive. your files should show up in the list with their correct file extensions. If zimage says zimage.bin you need to rename it. here is an example

cd..
cd..
dir
ren zimage.bin zimage
ren rootfs.bin.bin rootfs.bin

type those at the command prompt will correctly rename the files.
put them on your sd card. make sure you have the correct Zimage for your lcd type.

Good luck.

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:48:15 pm »
I am hearing great things about Open Dingux and followed the flashing tutorial and have set up my sd card with the zImage and rootfs and even the Local file. I just keep getting stuck on the DINGUX load screen and it never loads to GMENU.

Did you copy your zImage, rootfs, and Local file all in one go? The zImage needs to be the first file on the sd card or the bootloader will never find it. If you just drag 'n dropped all 3 at once, there's no telling what order they're in. To make sure the kernel's the first file, you'll have to reformat (not just erase) the sd card. Copy over ONLY the zImage file, followed ONLY by the rootfs. At this point you can verify the kernel is working before adding your local files, if pressing select changes the Dingux screen to the OpenDingux splash screen you're good to go. Then you can add your local files to get gmenu to load.
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

hardflip177 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 06:42:06 am »
I am hearing great things about Open Dingux and followed the flashing tutorial and have set up my sd card with the zImage and rootfs and even the Local file. I just keep getting stuck on the DINGUX load screen and it never loads to GMENU.

Did you copy your zImage, rootfs, and Local file all in one go? The zImage needs to be the first file on the sd card or the bootloader will never find it. If you just drag 'n dropped all 3 at once, there's no telling what order they're in. To make sure the kernel's the first file, you'll have to reformat (not just erase) the sd card. Copy over ONLY the zImage file, followed ONLY by the rootfs. At this point you can verify the kernel is working before adding your local files, if pressing select changes the Dingux screen to the OpenDingux splash screen you're good to go. Then you can add your local files to get gmenu to load.

Still no go. I am going to grab a smaller card and see if it goes. Really weird why others seem to have no problem but mine is causing all kinds of problems.

yoshi41

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 03:52:35 pm »
I just recently prepared a couple of Dingux/OD SD cards. Some of them didn't work (same sympton, couldn't find the kernel), until I re-created the DOS partition table.

This can be done with GParted on Linux. If you don't have a permanent Linux installation, use a Live CD such as SystemRescueCd, which is very handy btw. Or use that ISO to boot a VM (virtual machine), that's what I usually do.

Here are the steps with screenshots...

Create the DOS partition table.

Create a primary partition with a FAT32 filesystem.

And just after that, copy the kernel and rootfs to the card.

Warning: Make sure you initialize the SD card and not something else.  ;)
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

hardflip177 (OP)

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 04:53:29 am »
Thanks for all the help guys. I messed around with formatting the cards and finally just broke down and bought a 8GB san disk microsd card. No formatting issues. Just dropped the files and presto, done. All that grief just because of a larger card. I would tell any rookie like me just to get a small card and avoid the headache.

Thanks again!!!!