Author Topic: A few questions from new user - help me ;-)  (Read 3215 times)

artur7 (OP)

A few questions from new user - help me ;-)
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:58:16 am »
Hello.
I'm kinda new to Dingoo - I'm using it for about one month, and I still have few questions. I have A320 with Dingux dual boot.  So, let's get to it :
1. [Native OS] I have version 1.2 installed. Is there any way to update without losing my saved progress in games?
2. [Native OS] How to change themes?
3. [Native OS/Dingux] Is there any file manager (like the one in Native OS in "Browser"), but with ability to move and delete files?
4. [Dingux] When creating a shortcut to game X in Dingux, what's the difference between "X.dge" and "X" without extension?
5. [Dingux] How to run full Wolfenstein with Spear of Destiny (I have all full game files)?
6. [Dingux] Why there are several games from this site : http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi, which after putting on SD card aren't working (they crash at startup, but there is A320 in the game's description)
7. [Native OS/Dingux] What is the best original Mario port?
8. What system is more compatibile with games - Dingux or OpenDingux? Is Dingux still going to recieve future updates?
9. [Native OS] How to check LCD number?
10. Is there any way to comfortably play Elder Scrolls Arena on Dingux?
11. How to check which version of Dingux I have installed and how to install, if possible, newer version?

I know that I asked many questions, but I'll be very grateful if someone answers them. ;-) THX.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:02:29 am by artur7 »

DiegoSLTS

Re: A few questions from new user - help me ;-)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:51:54 pm »
1. [Native OS] I have version 1.2 installed. Is there any way to update without losing my saved progress in games?
I'm not sure about this, never updated native firmware because 1.2 is the latest version of official firmware, but I guess you can backup your save files before flashing, using a PC to copy all the saves to the hard drive, just in case...

2. [Native OS] How to change themes?
You need a custome firmware first: http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-hacks/dingoonity-custom-firmware-1-2/
Search the firmware subforum for themes and detailed instructions.

3. [Native OS/Dingux] Is there any file manager (like the one in Native OS in "Browser"), but with ability to move and delete files?
For native I'm not sure, for Dingux there's DinguxCommander, but you can't access NAND from there, it can only modify the SDCard.

4. [Dingux] When creating a shortcut to game X in Dingux, what's the difference between "X.dge" and "X" without extension?
There's no difference, the extension of a file doesn't really mean anything under Linux based systems, some developers like to add the .dge while building it, some don't care. For example, is really common to have a file named "README" that's a text file, but it doesn't have a .txt extension.
Only make sure that you're adding a link to an executable file.

6. [Dingux] Why there are several games from this site : http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi, which after putting on SD card aren't working (they crash at startup, but there is A320 in the game's description)
You might be doing something wrong, those games should work. Is really hard to answer somethings as vague as that. What games? What did you tried? (some times it takes more than creating a link to make something work) What kernel do you have? Search the forum for any game that doesn't work and you'll find help.

7. [Native OS/Dingux] What is the best original Mario port?
Original Mario? A game with exactly the same levels, look and feel of the original? There's nothing like that, there are clones but I don't think they're like playing the original, just use a nes rom for that, it works without problems both on native and dingux emulators.

8. What system is more compatibile with games - Dingux or OpenDingux? Is Dingux still going to recieve future updates?
Dingux is more compatible at the moment because everything in the past was developed for it, and OpenDingux have a lot of things working but it's not even finished. It's like comparing compatibility of Windows XP and Vista after the first months of Vista release.
Anyway, a lot of emulators have been ported to OpenDingux and a lot of game engines and apps work too. And lately there were releases that only work in OpenDingux.

Legacy Dingux won't be updated, maybe some apps or games will, but I'm not sure if anyone is working for it.

9. [Native OS] How to check LCD number?
Please, do some research, that's been asked a million times and is really easy to find the answer with a quick google search, just type "dingoo lcd type check" or something like that. Look here: http://www.dingoo-scene.com/TheCompleteidiotsGuidetoDinguxWindoze.htm
In section "A - Flash firmware" it says: "Turn on your Dingoo.  Go to the “System Setup” menu, then “About”, and press A. Then press the following key combination: up-right-down-up-right-down. Then you will see a hidden diagnostics screen."

11. How to check which version of Dingux I have installed and how to install, if possible, newer version?
Mmmh... legacy dingux kernels were made as separate projects, there's no real "newer" version (as in "based on an older version"), they just have different things. I think the best you can find is Science's kernel. I don't know how to check if you have it, maybe comparing kernel file size or creation dates with other kernels...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:56:03 pm by DiegoSLTS »

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:36:21 pm »
Thank you very much for answers. You have clarified many things for me.
But  there's also something :
You mentioned : What kernel do you have?. How to check it?
And a few last questions (+ those not answered from my first post  :)) :
1. [Dingux] How to change tab name from "Ports" to any other, without losing that pingu icon. Also, how to change tabs icons?
2. How to add more icons and useful apps to "Settings" tab? I have PowerOff, Reboot and Terminal.
Can I write my own script there? If I do, then how to write it? Is there any tutorial?
3. How to completely disable whole sound in Dingux (in every game) - I would like to play on lectures, but not with sound ;) I know about Volset, but I don't know how to use it.
4. How to change themes in Gmenu2X (I have a few on SD, but hot to switch)?
5. During every game startup or anything, I see black screen with : Gmenu2x Starting:  If you see this error in the log messages, check http://gmenu2x.sourceforge.net/page/Troubleshooting for a solution
and a lot of
Skinconf: xxxxxxxx

What to do with it? I read that it could be hidden somehow, but why I get so many messages?
6. I saw for example a nice looking game Tuxletics (http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,464). But I need some Python and other Py-something. How to install it?
7. I have downloaded GnuBoy4D and Snes9x. Both aren't working (crashing on startup).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:02:45 pm by artur7 »

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:21:18 pm »
You mentioned : What kernel do you have?. How to check it?
I answered what I think you can do in the last post, download some legacy dingux kernels and compare file sizes and dates with the ones on your sd card, I can think of another easy way to check that.

1. [Dingux] How to change tab name from "Ports" to any other, without losing that pingu icon. Also, how to change tabs icons?
Press select and you should see an option called "rename section". I don't know about the icon.

2. How to add more icons and useful apps to "Settings" tab? I have PowerOff, Reboot and Terminal.
Can I write my own script there? If I do, then how to write it? Is there any tutorial?
You can add links there just like in any other tab...
I've never wrote an script, maybe other people can give a better answer, but I guess you need some shell scripting knowledge. There are tons of tutorials about shell scripts on google.

3. How to completely disable whole sound in Dingux (in every game) - I would like to play on lectures, but not with sound ;) I know about Volset, but I don't know how to use it.
There should be an options menu on GMenu2X with a volume option. I've been using OpenDingux since the first release so I don't remember how it was done in legacy...

4. How to change themes in Gmenu2X (I have a few on SD, but hot to switch)?
I have no idea, never done that.

5. During every game startup or anything, I see black screen with : Gmenu2x Starting:  If you see this error in the log messages, check http://gmenu2x.sourceforge.net/page/Troubleshooting for a solution
and a lot of

What to do with it? I read that it could be hidden somehow, but why I get so many messages?
Don't have any idea either, but it looks like you have really bugged versions of kernel and/or GMenu2X :S.

6. I saw for example a nice looking game Tuxletics (http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,464). But I need some Python and other Py-something. How to install it?
Not sure how to do that, never tried that. It looks like you can get answers here and here.

7. I have downloaded GnuBoy4D and Snes9x. Both aren't working (crashing on startup).
You seem to have a lot of compatibility problems, try what I wrote to check what kernel you're using or just go and download science kernels, I don't know what else to say.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 05:35:14 pm »
There should be an options menu on GMenu2X with a volume option. I've been using OpenDingux since the first release so I don't remember how it was done in legacy...
The volume option of gmenu2x is a per-app setting, not a global one.

and a lot of

Don't have any idea either, but it looks like you have really bugged versions of kernel and/or GMenu2X :S.
It's normal that you see it on the terminal, don't worry about that. However it would not be normal to have it on the logs that gmenu2x can generate on demand. The newer versions of gmenu2x (those built into OD) don't have that message anymore.

You seem to have a lot of compatibility problems, try what I wrote to check what kernel you're using or just go and download science kernels, I don't know what else to say.
You need to use the built-in ROM selector of gmenu2x for those emulators.

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:02:40 pm »
What do you mean by built-in ROM selector? What is it?

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:04:05 pm »
What do you mean by built-in ROM selector? What is it?
Commandline programs need input. If you run such a program without input it will just finish executing without doing anything (it doesn't crash). GMenu2X gives you the option to browse to a file and send it as input to the program you are executing.

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:05:03 am »
And can you tell me how to Run those two emulators? I don't know how to do it

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 05:04:48 pm »
Like I said before, please, do some research, that  info is everywhere in the forum. If you search "gmenu2x browser" in the search field you'll get everything you need, like here:
snes9x is easy to make it work in gmenu2x.
Simply select it from the menu and press "select" button, then choose "edit snes9x" from the list, enable "Selector Browser" and choose the path for the roms with "Selector Directory", then save it all with "start" button and you're done.

Do the same for GnuBoy4D.

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 05:09:03 pm »
Thanks! :)

Post a new topic