Author Topic: 8gb micro sd fried; does 16gb work?  (Read 4436 times)

CJB100

8gb micro sd fried; does 16gb work?
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:26:58 pm »
My 8GB Class 6 Micro SD card fried due to what I believe is the Dingux corruption bug (but under the weirdest of circumstances; I was simply using tv-out. Does that even write info to the SD card?)

I have tried every formatting tool imaginable, even tried to format from DOS and the Windows Command Prompt. Nothing works. As soon as something tries to access the SD card info, my whole laptop freezes completely until the card is removed from the Dingoo or until the Dingoo is unplugged.

First off, is there any viable solution to this? I remember reading stuff about Linux freezing or mounting the card or something like that. I really don't remember. And when I tried to format through command prompt I got a complaint about the card not being mounted correctly.

Secondly, if there is not a solution, in the forum's experiences, would a 16GB Class 2 Micro SD card work with Dingux?

TheCaffeinator

Re: 8gb micro sd fried; does 16gb work?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:17:33 pm »
I use a 16GB card.

CJB100

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:16:46 pm »
Sweet, just asking cuz I found one for only $30 and it would greatly increase my space for music.

Anyone ever hear of an SD Card acting like this after messing with the TV-Out? I don't want to get a 16GB just to have it do the exact same thing. =P And if at all possible, I'd like to salvage the 8GB Class 6 SD so that I don't have to spend $20 more just to replace that SD.

borus

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:15:26 am »
My 8G card died 4 times last year, and every time I succeeded to recover it by writing zeros to some first sectors of it in Linux and then formatting it in my digital camera (!).
After that Windows and Dingoo start recognizing it again.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:17:29 am by borus »

joyrider

• Willems Soft
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:21:49 am »
yup try another os, a live cd of some linux distro should work, and see if you get the same problem.

if it is the same problem, try another card, if the same problem applies, it might be your hardware in the laptop, if you have an(other) usb card reader laying around try using that one.

If the above things all fail it's probably the card yes.

Next the corruption bug will and can not fry a sd card. However formatting sd cards like hell probably will wear it out more quickly. I think the same applies to usb sticks but am uncertain, i think i saw some warnings already about not formatting them.

Also a file based swap file on the sd card will wear it out more quickly as well.

and Lastly it also depends on the brand and class of sd card, like cheapo ass sd cards vs expensive good brands like

CJB100

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 11:02:31 pm »
Thanks guys. The above suggestions did fail, I've already tried them all. xD But thanks for the info on the corruption bug, joyrider. I've put off getting a new card because I've been paranoid about wearing out another SD Card. But now that I know, I will get my 16Gig soon. =) Thanks all.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic