Author Topic: given up on installing linux  (Read 20260 times)

dgh

Re: given up on installing linux
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 06:20:59 pm »
I followed the guides to a T, the new drivers are recognised and I enter the commands which appear to run successfully, but the dingoo screen stays blank, and this is on XP on two different computers.

Maybe I am not uninstalling the china chip drivers fully? Two set of drivers initially show up, I delete one set and I am prompted to restart the computer, should I restart? How can I permanently uninstall them?

I'd really appreciate some help, I have read other posts about people having and overcoming this problem, could anyone offer some advice?

Kalisiin

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 06:39:51 pm »
I followed the guides to a T, the new drivers are recognised and I enter the commands which appear to run successfully, but the dingoo screen stays blank, and this is on XP on two different computers.

Maybe I am not uninstalling the china chip drivers fully? Two set of drivers initially show up, I delete one set and I am prompted to restart the computer, should I restart? How can I permanently uninstall them?

I'd really appreciate some help, I have read other posts about people having and overcoming this problem, could anyone offer some advice?

Don't re-start the compy.  Nothing in any directions tells you to do that.  If you DO follow the directions correctly, you will permanently uninstall them, because you will re-install the new drivers as part of the process.

What you are looking to uninstall is called "Jz something" in your hardware list.  It's like 4 digits after the Jz.  Uninstall it.  THEN...reset Dingoo power and hold down B to put it in Rockbox mode, the Dingoo screen will stay black, but the power IS on.  Do this while staying hooked up to the USB line.

THEN....install your new drivers from the pack you downloaded...do it manually.  You should not have problems if you do it exactly like that.

If you re-start compy, it will try to automatically re-install the China chips...and also, if you unhook from USB...when you re-hook, it will try to automatically re-install China Chips for you.

That is why you do not re-start...or unhook from USB....until you have the new drivers - the ones in the pack you downloaded - installed.

Once they are installed, you're ok. 

Incidentally, the china Chips are still available and on your Dingoo...they just are there now as a backup or alternate driver, if your compy ever asks to install them, don't.

I believe everything I said here to be correct, please, anyone, if I mis-stated anything, please feel free to correct, as I, too, am rather new at all this...but this is my understanding of how it works.

dgh

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 07:33:08 pm »
Thankyou, I'll give it a try and post the results.

dgh

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 01:19:49 am »
Still no luck, I followed the guide by Kaxxx in another post, but I still get a blank screen.

I think that the problem lies in the fact that when I plug the Dingoo back in once the China Chip drivers have been removed, it is not recognised by the computer, I then attempt to run the installer and, maybe quite rightly - it does not run.

I have to do this on another pc as the China Chip drivers will not uninstall from mine, and I get a prompt to restart the computer when I try to.

dgh

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 03:31:56 am »
Got it installed, but it won't go past the dingux screen...

Goon8

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 04:11:18 am »
Got it installed, but it won't go past the dingux screen...

2 pages of you giving up installing Dingux. You finally got it installed and have failed to mention how, or admit your fault or solution.. that's helpful.

Now you have got it running, did you follow the rest of the steps eg; downloading & extracting the latest local to your minisd card, changing the zimage files name, etc..? I would say you haven't but that'd be a guess to solve your problem, like the last two pages.

Azm0deus

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 06:32:59 am »
dgh, how did you make it? It could help me to get it installed too

frankbuse

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 11:21:53 am »
Okay. For clarity:
  • You use Windows Vista 64 bit
  • You have a pawed Dingoo w/ LCD screen 9331
  • You used the 'Idiot's guide' I referred to?
  • You removed the ChinaChip drivers via Windows' Device Manager (dunno what they've renamed it to in Win Vista/7)
  • The dual boot drivers for the Dingoo, that are referred to in the Guide, did install successfully? That is, the "new hardware found" dialog did not show up after installing aforementioned dual boot drivers?
  • In the guide you're stuck at step:
    • Chapter 3. Installing Dingux
    • A. Flash firmware
    • Flash firmware
    • 3. Initialize the nand flash
    Am I right?
  • The following command worked fine for you: "usbtool-win 1 hwinit.bin 0x80000000".
  • Then you copy/paste the following command in the Windows command prompt: "usbtool-win 1 zImage_dual_boot_installer_ILI9331  0x80600000".
  • After that, the Windows command prompt spits out a lot of non-understandable text.
  • And boom! You're stuck with a Dingoo with a black screen and not the white/blue screen (see picture below)?

Figure 1. The screen that does not appear on Frank Buse's Dingoo when trying to flash the nand chip.

Am I right? If so, I think the dual boot driver is not compatible w/ Windows Vista service pack XX 64 bit (dual processor?). If I were you I'd try to find some with a 32 bit version of WinXP. Probably the easiest option.

Thanks meneer Janssen that's exactly where i am stuck now
In the meantime i did install linux ubuntu on my laptop and figured out how it works and then also tried (via terminal) to install dualboot and still the dingoo remains black like you said.

I also think my only other option is to try installing via another pc

Frank

dgh

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 12:23:44 pm »
Goon, it isn't two pages of me, I merely jumped in the thread with the same problem as the original poster.

However, I didn't do anything different than I usually did, and it installed, I was awake until 5.00am gmt trying to get it to work - I used the Idiots Guide as I have done all along on my own pc running XP.

dgh

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 12:26:34 pm »
I haven't re-named the zimage yet so I'll try that and report back, thanks for everyone's advice.

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 12:52:19 pm »
I haven't re-named the zimage yet so I'll try that and report back, thanks for everyone's advice.
That is literally in the guide! That's it for me, I quit. I tried my best, but failed. :'(
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

dgh

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 12:58:02 pm »
It is in the guide, but I downloaded local 32a, and cant find the zimage , rootfs, do I have to upgrade from local10 to 32a and will local10 contain the files that I need?

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 01:26:13 pm »
Thanks meneer Janssen that's exactly where i am stuck now. In the meantime i did install linux ubuntu on my laptop and figured out how it works and then also tried (via terminal) to install dualboot and still the dingoo remains black like you said. I also think my only other option is to try installing via another pc.
Okay. Yhe ony difference between the Linux and the Windows method (as far as I can see) is that in (Ubuntu) Linux you do not have to uninstall and reinstall drivers to get one's PC to get to recognise the Dingoo (i.e. the Dingoo mounts correctly per default in 'Buntu 9.04 and up). Now there are two possibilities left:

1. The tool made by Booboo to make the Dingoo dual boot (dual_boot_installer_20090628.zip) really does not work on a 64 bit machine (Windows or Linux).
2. You made a little typo in a command or made a tiny mistake in one of the necessary steps in the (Linux) Guide.

Important are the following steps (Linux):
  • Put Dingoo in USB boot mode (reset while holding the B pressed). The Dingoo LCD will remain dark. Plug Dingoo in.
  • Wait for the Dingoo to appear on Ubuntu's desktop (i.e. it will auto mount).
  • Copy/paste the following command in a terminal:
Code: [Select]
./usbtool-linux 1 hwinit.bin 0x80000000
  • It should run successfully, i.e. the command terminal should return some sort of message with the word "success" in it (tip: copy/paste this message here in this forum when you reply again :)).
  • Copy/paste the second command in the terminal window:
Code: [Select]
./usbtool-linux zImage_dual_boot_installer_ILI9331 0x80600000
    (the "31" is important: you have the later LCD screen, not the earlier "25" one).
    • If you are very lucky you'll see the screen in Figure 1. If not, copy/paste the error message in this forum.

Figure 1. See this screen? Then dual boot is only minute away!

Success :)
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

Kalisiin

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 01:26:35 pm »
Still no luck, I followed the guide by Kaxxx in another post, but I still get a blank screen.

I think that the problem lies in the fact that when I plug the Dingoo back in once the China Chip drivers have been removed, it is not recognised by the computer, I then attempt to run the installer and, maybe quite rightly - it does not run.

I have to do this on another pc as the China Chip drivers will not uninstall from mine, and I get a prompt to restart the computer when I try to.

I TRIED TO TELL YOU...
Do you see it in my instructions??  DON'T UNPLUG FROM USB AFTER UNINSTALLING THE CHIPS!!

Stay plaugged in, hit your reset and hold B to go into Rockbox mode, and your screen will stay black but the power will be on.
At that point the China Chips are NOT accessible by the Dingoo, and it is your opportunity to replace them.

I tried.
I give up...this guy can't follow instructions, I can't help him.

dgh

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 01:33:45 pm »
I did get it installed, and I followed your instructions, the procedure didnt work for a few times at first though, now it has.

I get a kernel failure when I start up dingux now, I guess I'll have to re format the sd card.

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 01:41:44 pm »
It is in the guide, but I downloaded local 32a, and cant find the zimage , rootfs, do I have to upgrade from local10 to 32a and will local10 contain the files that I need?
Okay, agreed. That may not be the clearest of steps. If I am not mistaken the zimage file is the root system. I'm trying to find out if Toddler's local pack (see this topic) does contain the zimage files for the 25 and the 31 screens. But Megaupload (where Toddler's pack is laid to rest) seems not to be one of the fastest websites on the planet... [edit] Wait a minute. Toddlers 0.32a pack is 64 MB and the 'regular' 0.32 file is 249 MB. Guess you need the 0.32 one. The "a" pack must be an upgrade only. ;)

So if there is no zimage file in the pack you downloaded, try to down an earlier version and upgrade if you want to. I'm still using ver. 0.28 and I'm happy with it. I did, however, install a lot of extra apps etc. since.

[edit02] added some letters that my keyboard did not print on screen... ooops.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:48:22 pm by Meneer Jansen »

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 01:46:18 pm »
I get a kernel failure when I start up dingux now, I guess I'll have to re format the sd card.
Most probably because Linux (i.e. Dunux) is not installed yet. The actual Dingux operating system is very tiny. And it resides in one singe file that is looked up by your all new and improved Firmware (a sort of BIOS) if one presses 'Select' during boot. If there is no kernel, root file system etc. (all of which are in 'zimage') your Dingoo will panic and it will try to cry out to you in the only way it knows how: via an error on the command line. ;)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:50:06 pm by Meneer Jansen »

dgh

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 02:26:50 pm »
I've got the zimage and rootfs file on the root of the sd card, I have downloaded local 32, do I put the extracted local folder onto the sd card, or do I put the contents of the local folder onto the card. If I want to upgrade to 32a, what will I add to the sd card from the extracted folder - its contents and overwrite any older files with new?

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 02:53:47 pm »
You should keep the directory structure intact. In Toddlers local zip file should be 2 'zimage' files (one for the 25- and one for the 31 LCD screen), a file called 'rootfs' and a folder called 'local'. You should copy those files and the folder to your SD card, and rename one of the zimage-ILI93XX files to 'zimage'. Then boot the Dingoo, press 'Select' once during the Dingux splash screen and pray that it works. ;)

Success. :)

P.S. Afterwards, before disconnecting the Dingoo from USB, on Linux don't forget to issue the command 'sync' from the command line, or in Windows use 'Safly remove hardware'. Else, not all files may be copied (synchronized) to the SD card!
P.S.2 Upgrading means overwriting older files with the new ones, yes.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:59:32 pm by Meneer Jansen »

dgh

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 11:34:24 pm »
I have got it working, thanks for the advice, but the dual boot installer seemed very hit and miss, when I got it installed finally, all I did was follow the same set of instructions that I always had (Idiots Guide).

I think I must have missed a vital part of the guide at some point!

I definitely found problems in removing the china chip drivers, and encountered occurrences not present in any guide that i guess are unique to my pc.