Author Topic: GCW-Zero's Linux compatibility with A320  (Read 2109 times)

houdini (OP)

GCW-Zero's Linux compatibility with A320
« on: August 18, 2016, 02:44:31 pm »
Hello All!

I have some question regarding the OpenDingux for A320.

As it can be seen on http://www.treewalker.org/opendingux/, the last release of OpenDingux is rather old and it seems as it is not maintained anymore. I found on this board, that the much newer releases are made for the GCW-Zero console (https://github.com/gcwnow).

Can anyone tell me if there is any usage of this Linux for GCW-Zero with Dingoo A320?
I.e.: is whole distro or at least new kernel able to run with Dingoo?
Were there any attempts to do it?

P.S.
I'm not too sure if I should have posted it in here or rather on GCW-Zero board...
If so, please move it.

mth

Re: GCW-Zero's Linux compatibility with A320
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 07:32:26 pm »
Can anyone tell me if there is any usage of this Linux for GCW-Zero with Dingoo A320?
I.e.: is whole distro or at least new kernel able to run with Dingoo?
Were there any attempts to do it?

Many kernel drivers are either shared between the Zero and the A320 or are maintained in the mainline kernel. However, a few drivers are specific to the A320 and not in mainline, such as the SLCD framebuffer driver. So it would require a bit of work to get the latest kernel to run on the A320.

For the rootfs, having OPK support on the A320 would be very useful, since it makes application installation a lot easier. But no-one is working on that at the moment.

So the answer is that from a technical perspective, it is possible to put the latest OpenDingux on the A320, but it does require some work. Neither me nor Paul are planning to work on that, so a new developer would have to apply for it.

cronot

Re: GCW-Zero's Linux compatibility with A320
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 12:31:05 pm »
FWIW, some russian guy compiled a 3.6 OpenDingux kernel + rootfs for the A320 a few years ago. I've been using it for the past year, although I couldn't really notice much difference between it and the official release. Link.

Most of the changes seem to be under-the-hood stuff - the one that really interested me, RNDIS support, seems to be a dud because while Windows seems to detect the device correctly, it can't initialize it. I've made some slight changes on the rootfs as well removing nonsense like the Clock application and such.

Post a new topic