Woohoo! Reformatting to the partition seemed to do the trick. The Penguin is on the screen - but unfortunately won't come off! I'm getting:
FATAL: cannot mount dev/mmcblk0/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
Any idea what this means? The only word I got from this was 'panic'
Also thanks for all those answer, they help! Just a few follow-up Qs:
2. Is there a good tool to hack the dmenu on MacOs? Like showing the system folder for new skins? I was looking at HXFTool, but that's only Win.
5. So where do I get the latest emulators? I understand those included in the localpacks are sometimes dated, but I'm trying to avoid having to install them one-by-one. I don't care much for most of the other stuff in the localpacks, but I'd sure like to have the emus complete.
7. Yeah agreed, probably not worth it, though at the moment it's mighty confusing for noobs as myself, especially since I'm not *nix proficient. One suggestion for the future: include one part of the boards in which only mods can post, that include the latest files (+explanation) and tutorials. For the consuming users, that's really the most important.
8. (yes, a new one, I'm cheating). Is there any way for Dingux to access the NAND? Or should all Emus and ROMs be placed on the MiniSD? Seems a waste.
9. (related). How does the quality of the native MD and SNES emus compare to the ones on Dingux? I'll play those two most often, so perhaps it might be worth it to put those ROMs on the NAND and the others on the SD.