Author Topic: Two questions - Volset and Python  (Read 3772 times)

artur7 (OP)

Two questions - Volset and Python
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:15:13 am »
Hello.
I have two questions :
1. I have downloaded Volset (to set sound in dingux). How to run it? Neither "Makefile" nor Volset.c doesn't work when I click on it.
I read that I need to use some kond of command line, but how to do it? I mean, where to access it?
2. Can someone provide full instruction how to install Python on Dingux??

DiegoSLTS

Re: Two questions - Volset and Python
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:39:14 pm »
For question 1: You have "legacy" Dingux, right? Makefile and volset.c are the source files, "volset" (file with no extension) should be also there. That one is the executable file, you have to put that on the SD card.

I'm assuming you use GMenu2X (if you don't, you should start using it), so add a link to volset and edit the "parameters" in the link to set a particular value, or leave it empty to set it to 50%. (http://ptepid.org/blog/?p=54)

If you have OpenDingux you don't need an app for that, just use PowerSlide + Up/Down to change the volume.

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:48:02 pm »
Thanks.
And I have another questions : firstly, when I click on the shortcut to Volset (the one without extension), it crashes back to menu.
And secondly - I have Dingux installed. I'd like to switch to OpenDingux - how to do it, step by step? Will Every app that worked on Dingux also work on OpenDingux?

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:45:48 am »
I've never used that app, but from what I says here (http://ptepid.org/blog/?p=54) and looking at the source code, you shouldn't see anything, so it may look like it just crashed. That program just opens a "file" (or the file representation of the sound device), writes a value to it and closes the file.

If you want to check what happened go to "settings" tab and look for a link named "Log viewer", and you'll see "Failed opening mixer for write - VOLUME" or "Volume set to -something-" in the log. If you don't have a "Log viewer" link, in "settings" tab look for GMenu2X link and activate the option "output log", then run volset again and the Log viewer should be there..

About the "from legacy to open" part... installation is easier than Legacy, you have to copy kernel and rootfs for opendingux following this instructions: http://www.treewalker.org/opendingux/
BUT to me it was a good excuse to delete everything and start from scratch to get everything clean and organized.
Also, if you search the forum you'll find more detailed instructions and troubleshooting, I really recommend this before switching.

You'll have to add again all the links to your apps because Gmenu2X in OpenDingux is part of the file system, it won't load your actual GMenu2X configuration (in legacy you had to "install" GMenu2X after installing Dingux). Some of your apps may not work, OpenDingux restricts the access to some devices that legacy Dingux allowed, so if an app tries to open them, it'll crash. Here's a partial (and kind of outdated) compatibility list: http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-general/opendingux-developer-pre-release-2-application-compatibility/

Anyway, search the forum for any specific app you need to be sure if it will work.

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 05:08:24 pm »
I don't have any "Log viewer" in my Dingux. How to get it??

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:15 pm »
To activate the log viewer, press start when in gmenu2x and set the "Output logs" option to ON. Then, every time you launch some app and it crashes, you'll be able to read the log back by clicking on the settings>Log Viewer icon in gmenu2x.

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:50:14 am »
Yeah, I have "Output logs" switched to ON, but in Settings tab, I don't have any "Log viewer" icon.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic