Author Topic: Project Ideas and Requests  (Read 228000 times)

Poligrafowicz

Re: Project Ideas and Requests
« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2011, 09:52:36 pm »
I made a quick and dirty Matlab script to visualize the upscaling method I mentioned above. Here are some results :

Original image:

Ugly nearest neighbour:

My algorithm (I say my, but most likely someone else came up with that ages ago):

And bilinear for comparison:

While the image upscaled with my algorithm doesn't look as good as the image upscaled using bilinear algorithm, it still looks better than good old nearest neighbour.

P.S. I just realized that GBA has 3:2 proportions, but than again its easier to translate it to 4:3 rather than keeping the aspect ration when upscaling.
P.S.2 I wonder which upscaling algorithm do the native emulators use.

Edit: Another sample
Original:

Nearest:

My:

Bilinear:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:09:39 pm by Poligrafowicz »

clach04

« Reply #221 on: January 14, 2011, 01:21:09 am »
I made a quick and dirty Matlab script to visualize the upscaling method I mentioned above. Here are some results :

They do look pretty, what is the performance like? If you can get these to run quickly that would be awesome!

Ayla's scalars tend to be VERY fast, OhBoy has a nice Scale3x (with downscale) implementation which looks great for most games but the performance penalty can be high (overclock is recommended). I added Ayla's scalar and full screen is VERY fast now. I've some screen shots at http://code.google.com/p/ohboy/wiki/ScreenShots (but they show adjustris which is not a great demo of the scalars).

P.S.2 I wonder which upscaling algorithm do the native emulators use.

I think it is using the hardware YUV stufff, no one really knows though, no src :(

Poligrafowicz

« Reply #222 on: January 14, 2011, 12:21:07 pm »
They do look pretty, what is the performance like? If you can get these to run quickly that would be awesome!

Its difficult to tell using Matlab. While I can easily test time required to preform the upscaling it has little meaning to what results a C implementation would give. Most matirx operations in Matlab are highly optimized and use various available CPU commands to speed things up (commands which are most likely unavailable on MIPS CPU). I tested my unoptimized code the results were :
Nearest neighbour : 1 (reference)
My upscaler : 7.15
Bilinear : 28.98

My unoptimized code needlesly copied some parts of the image twice, but was doing so with whole lines. I optimized the code so it wouldn't need to copy some stuff twice, but now it worked on pixel level. Because of that now my algorithm is 10 times slower than the bilinear one.

Those numbers don't mean anything right now. I guess my algorithm's preformance would be like nearest neighbour + bilinear on a smaller image (number of pixels of the output image - number of pixels of the input image). A small experiment in Matlab shows that it would take around twice as much time as it takes to do nearest neighbour. Which is a good result I think, but the numbers I get from Matlab might be far from how it would preform on A320. Also I only tested 240x160->320x240 upscaling. Different input resolutions would surly give different times (the smaller the input the slower the upscale time). Not to mention that this algorithm only makes sense for scale < 2.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #223 on: January 14, 2011, 12:38:44 pm »
I did benchmark mine, back in the day, using a custom C program made just for that.
Upscale of 600 frames with gPSP's scaler (nearest neighbour) took ~900ms, while it did take ~960ms with mine.

Poligrafowicz

« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2011, 10:54:34 am »
I did benchmark mine, back in the day, using a custom C program made just for that.
Upscale of 600 frames with gPSP's scaler (nearest neighbour) took ~900ms, while it did take ~960ms with mine.

Nice results, could you upload the source code please? I'm sure I could learn a thing or two from it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:24:29 pm by Poligrafowicz »

Camaro8000

« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2011, 11:05:34 pm »
Kitten Cannon would be nice. ;) My biggest wish is a Kurok port for the dingoo, but i think that's impossible.
Sourcecode for PSP / Windows is available on bladebattles homepage...

edit: doodlejump... ? :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:10:50 pm by Camaro8000 »

zear

« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2011, 01:06:44 pm »

Camaro8000

« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2011, 02:53:54 pm »
Quote from: zear
Dingoo can't run flash games.

I know. But a Kitten Cannon clone is possible, am i right?

darfgarf

« Reply #228 on: January 26, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »
well are you going to write one?

Fernando Aires

• http://fernando-aires.blogspot.com/
« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2011, 05:15:57 pm »
How about a roguelike with simple controls? Roguelikes don't need advanced graphics or music, it's just plain ASCII characters. The real challenge is about programming the game logic. It's just an idea. I would start a project but I'm still studying about programming for the Dingoo.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:17:27 am by Fernando Aires »
My rambling (totally unrelated to Dingoo) - http://fernando-aires.blogspot.com/

Azm0deus

« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2011, 09:23:51 pm »
A dingoo port of Canabalt would be great.

Bouvrie

« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2011, 08:30:15 pm »
I'd like to see a Watara Supervision emulator. It's a handheld device like the gameboy, but featuring a somewhat bigger screen.

There appears to be an emulator for Windows (and Dreamcast), called Potator. It (and the SDL-based open source code) are available from Sourceforge. A GP2x build is there too! :D

I tried the emulator on Windows with my favorite game (Juggler), but both the graphics seem messed up and the gameplay isn't like I remember. Perhaps this is due to my ROM, but if not I guess the emulator code isn't 100% yet.
Bumping this request a bit here, if the sourcecode that's around can be ported easily, perhaps it'll work. :)

Also, I was wondering if the Dingoo could serve a purpose while hooked up to a PC? Like acting as a status monitor / secondary display of said computer or something?
Write/save problems? Segmentation faults? Black screens? Read the Troubleshooting and FAQ guide first to fix your issues! :)
SD Card readonly/corruption issues? Chkdisk /F and steer clear from DMenu: use GMenu instead!

Solstice

« Reply #232 on: June 03, 2011, 08:35:47 pm »
Came across this

Powder

A Roguelike game, theres even a GBA rom, i tryed it out seems pretty cool but no sound i think

Maybe some one could port it to dingux , it would run better then GBA i think, maybe it has sound fx or someone could add some nice BGM  ;D

http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=about

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:37:40 pm by Solstice »
Dingoo A320 stock 1.2 + Gmenu

PSP slim 2002 Gen 5.50 D3 Prom4

Coccijoe

• Underground Portables
« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2011, 08:44:27 pm »
that seems a great game, i can try to port it

Edit: i did some research, seems that there is no sound on all version. And it run great on gpsp, why do you want a port?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:42:30 pm by Coccijoe »

Solstice

« Reply #234 on: June 05, 2011, 07:06:32 am »
Yes gba.rom works fine, Port would just be cool to have on Dingux, probably run abit smoother, and we can run our own music with Mpd

This is a great game!! i spent a good few hours last night playing it, you can even change the tiles for different looks,ASCII , nethack etc
Dingoo A320 stock 1.2 + Gmenu

PSP slim 2002 Gen 5.50 D3 Prom4

zear

smida3

« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2011, 05:05:12 pm »
Hey and what about Alchemy
It would be awesome to have it on dingoo  ;D
do you think it would be possible?
NI !

CREATICA

« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2011, 11:51:40 pm »
What about improve PSX4aLL for Dingoo once and for all? I know it won't run 3d games but, at least, to have a smooth simulation with sound on games that currently work fine like Final Fantasy VII or Metal gear.  I mean, I think that's what most people are truly waiting for. It would be the last step on Dingoo's supremacy.
Just my two cents. Btw, is anyone working with that emulator in the present time?

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #238 on: August 18, 2011, 12:18:34 am »
The emulator is actually very optimized... There isn't much we can do to make it run better.
And no, AFAIK nobody is working on it.

CREATICA

« Reply #239 on: August 18, 2011, 04:26:29 pm »
Mmm... what a bummer. Ok, thanks Ayla. It's better to know it right now I don't want to build up false expectations around that. It would have been great -even though I still think it's feasable but just clutching at straws here, I'm afraid-.
Pity. Anyway, at least I hope someone will optimize the Mame emulator in the near future.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic