Author Topic: PRDoom and EDuke3D freeze my Dingoo  (Read 5081 times)

DoodoM

PRDoom and EDuke3D freeze my Dingoo
« on: December 06, 2009, 05:12:44 pm »
Hi, I'm a old Dingoo owner who, after selling his own Dingoo two months ago or so, discovered Dingux and decided to buy a new one. The last friday I received my new Dingoo from DX and I managed to install Dingux and the local-0.32 on my new handled videoconsole. After that I learnt how to customize and translate dmenu for my own purposes, put roms on its proper locations, etc... and now I'm here writing all this crap who nobody care about.

Now there come the problems... today I was playing Ultimate Doom with PRDoom and suddenly, the game get froze and I had to manually reboot my Dingoo. I had the CPU overclocked to 420 Mhz. I've also played Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition throught Eduke3D and everything seemed to be alright, until the begining of the next map, when the framerate went unexplicably down and the game became completely unplayable (the image was refreshed after 2 minutes or so and then became static again), although the sound effects were playing. I had the music off, if you ask, so I think it's not because of the music volume.

Has anybody experienced these problems or is my new Dingoo not working like it should be? Could the overclocking cause theses problems? Should I try to update to local-0.32a? By the way, I forgot to write that I'm using an 8 GB SD formatted in FAT32 with a 32K cluster, if it matters.

Thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:49:05 pm by DoodoM »

mrkingoo

Re: PRDoom and EDuke3D freeze my Dingoo
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 08:19:14 pm »
Ive experienced the same thing you have in eduke, entering the third level "death row". Managed to get passed it by moving forward at once on spawn. I have no overclock and music is turned on. Using local32a

DoodoM

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 08:41:04 pm »
In my case was after the first level of the first episode of Duke Nukem 3D. I haven't try out other episodes yet, but I think it's not very normal. It also disappoints me a lot the freezing on PRDoom after many minutes playing. I don't know what could cause it.

I think I shoud play more with linux emulators and see if these issues also happen with them.

zear

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:18:36 pm »
Usually when eduke32 behaves like that means there's not enough memory in the system.
That is (was?) a common problem when the midi music is on.
Also happens when you try to load a mod that's too heavy for the dingoo.

Goon8

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 11:37:04 pm »
Have you tried the updated rootfs files? Some users are reporting stuttering issues being resolved with this release.

http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-development/a-couple-of-rootfs-upgrades/msg5635/#new

Make sure you're not using a IPU enabled kernel (zImage) too.

DoodoM

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 05:12:48 am »
Usually when eduke32 behaves like that means there's not enough memory in the system.
That is (was?) a common problem when the midi music is on.
Also happens when you try to load a mod that's too heavy for the dingoo.

I've not tried to load mods on EDuke3D yet, so I guess that's not the problem. I also thought about the memory, so I tried to reboot the Dingoo and just after that launch directly Eduke3D, but it still happened the same thing.

Have you tried the updated rootfs files? Some users are reporting stuttering issues being resolved with this release.

http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-development/a-couple-of-rootfs-upgrades/msg5635/#new

Make sure you're not using a IPU enabled kernel (zImage) too.

I found here the locale I've got installed. I suppose it has not IPU enabled because it's not mentioned on the thread. Anyways I'll try to update the rootfs and see if it solves the problems.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:30:36 pm by DoodoM »

rekmk1

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:08:35 pm »
i had same problem but when i upgraded 32 with 32a it fixed it runs ok now

DoodoM

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 04:24:19 pm »
i had same problem but when i upgraded 32 with 32a it fixed it runs ok now

I just have upgraded to 0.32a before I read your message and I was going to tell you that after updating everything seems to run ok. I've played a full episode of Ultimate Doom and some levels of Duke Nukem 3D without any freezing or problems.

The rootfs mentioned above the only thing it did was to make the fps games choppy and unplayable. But updating to local-0.32a resolved everything.

Thanks everybody!

Post a new topic