Author Topic: Download santino local pack v1  (Read 18984 times)

JHdD

Re: Download santino local pack v1
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2010, 06:46:16 pm »
You can't really compare a newly developped menu with a menu that has been around and used for years with succes. Dmenu is nice and i still think you should include both menu's in any local pack. The author of dmenu probably had more work creating the Dmenu  than i had porting gmenu2x doesn't seem fair does it ? So include both and support your developpers, let the user choose which menu he wan't, and don't force them to a certain menu. I know i didn't ever use gmenu2x on my gp2x i preferered the default menu with a certain skin. So please include them both and if you need help with the scripts to switch menu's let me know ! You don't want to loose any developpers for this little device since they are sparse to begin with !

Doesn't the pack get a little bloated then? I mean most people only use one menu and will never touch the other. I think the best idea is to create 2 packs, one with dmenu and one with gmenu2x. And I don't think that you should use something just because of the fact that someone put alot of effort into it. The original author of gmenu2x also put alot of effort in his menu. ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:58:25 pm by JHdD »

joyrider

• Willems Soft
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2010, 07:41:35 pm »
isn't it bloated to make 2 packs wich contains all the same applications and stuff ??? while menu's are just small exe's and a few assets ? nothing compared to 2 local packs :)

made the scripts and tested em they worked with my dingoo just as an example to show it's possible :)
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,23

JHdD

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2010, 08:09:26 pm »
People only use one local pack, they don't have to download them both. While when you include both menus people are forced to have both of them on their sd card, because they don't want to alter anything thats why they're using a local pack. ;)

joyrider

• Willems Soft
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2010, 08:13:43 pm »
if they don't wanna have dmenu or gmenu2x or anything else they can still remove it from their sd card.

if people started to read readme's use google a bit and trial and error they would learn something and no local packs would be needed since they could add anything they want themselves...I call it being lazzy :)

The only reason why a local pack is good is to get up to speed and not having to download everything although i'd still prefer to choose what i want to get from the dingoo archive instead of being forced what's supplied in a local pack :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:16:38 pm by joyrider »

santino

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2010, 08:23:30 pm »
Thats why Ive coded a tool which let you build up your own local pack based on mine. It was able to create the configfiles for you. Just click what you want and it would create your own local pack.
But due to the release of gmenu2x port I will drop dmenu and use gmenu2x, so theres no need for this tool anymore.;)
Heres a screenshot:

Maybe I will redo it for gmenu2x. Next pack will only contain gmenu2x and no dmenu anymore. But it may will come back in the future. Dmenu takes much time to debug the configfiles and my time is limited. Sorry guys!

And I wont say there is no need for a local pack. Sure you can do it on your own, but people who are new to dingux may not know how to do it. And it got 100+ downloads thats enought feedback for me going on. :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:27:39 pm by santino »

JHdD

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2010, 08:33:26 pm »
Looks great.  ;D Handy for people who realy don't want to mess around in the filesystem. Sorry you coded it for nothing, maybe you can modify it easy to work with gmenu2x. ;)

darfgarf

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2010, 08:49:45 pm »
but people who are new to dingux may not know how to do it.

pre-made packs are good in a way, but if someone can flash a dingoo and get it dualbooting properly, then you'd expect that they could at least drag and drop files around on their computer

joyrider

• Willems Soft
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2010, 08:53:53 pm »
you know without (us) developpers there wouldn't have been any local pack, give dmenu (author) some support it's a new menu and is still evolving, your basically saying "FU" to one developper, discourage him from continuing his work and maybe make him lose intrested in the dingoo completely and so on. I still think you should include it.

also local packs have some disadvantages as well, they could / can bring certain software in a bad day light, suppose everyone just relies on local packs they'll always have out of date software it could contain bugs which are already fixed in a new version, people won't try *the software* again cause they think it doesn't work while it could have been fixed already.

I'm not saying local packs should go away it's good as a starter pack and nothing more, people should not rely on local packs to add new (dingux) software.

And if it's that hard to debug the configs, why not write a simple (Dynamic) application instead of fixed gui to make your local packs for dmenu ? you could just have a folder with all the apps run through the folders recursively and check the 1st four bytes of the files for the .elf header (7F 45 4C 46) and let the program generate a config file per folder, just an idea :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:00:05 pm by joyrider »

JHdD

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2010, 09:05:28 pm »
I think you do encourage someone, because when you create something and a person makes something better than you, you do want to top that person by making your creation better. Without competition less progress.

joyrider

• Willems Soft
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2010, 09:09:00 pm »
that's true but depends on the "point of view" ,we're such a small community that we should all work together to make it grow larger and better. It's not like were all enemies of each other, we help each other out etc. It's homebrew not commercial stuff :)

JHdD

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2010, 09:15:32 pm »
I agree. ;)

kswildside

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2010, 08:38:03 pm »
Amen to that JoyRider I would like to come up with like a developers guideline or a way so we can make sure apps and emu's all function the same or have the same properties so you don't have to remeber how to use each app or emu...

Post a new topic