Author Topic: Those ridiculously small PSX images  (Read 17145 times)

Meneer Jansen (OP)

Those ridiculously small PSX images
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:10:50 pm »
There is somebody on the internet who managed to rip psx games to extremely small bin files. For example: Quake II to a bin of 64 MB (instead of ~200 MB) and Loony Toons Racing to 120 MB instead of 433 MB. And they work too!

How does he do that? Is sound not included? Are cutscenes deleted?  

[correction: Quake II does not work...]

Edit 2-11-2009:
A few tricks can be tried, although they do not always work.

1. The method that Quadomatic suggested to me: http://pocketmatrix.com/guides/psxrip. There they suggest replacing XA (audio) and STR (video) files with blank ones one can download from that website.

2. Trying to compress the CD images w/ CDGenPS2. Extract the bin/cue w/ kiso (linux) or winiso (windows) first to an iso file and then extract that iso file to harddisk w/ Rar. After that: use cdgenps2. One may try to replace dummy files and/or video/audio files with blank one's. I use a text file with the word "dummy" in it and rename it to the file I want to replace (a zero-byte file don't work). Will that get you into trouble when you stumble upon a point in the game at which the movie/audio needs to be loaded? Probably!

3. Download those very small image files from a certain forum which I cannot mention literally here because that would be illegal.

Method 1 does not work for me w/ psx4all. But methods 2 and 3 sometimes do. Afterwards one can compress the games even more w/ cbin.linux or cbin.mac (utility included in the psx4all zip file I believe ...). Here are the games I succeeded in compressing to an acceptable size:
  • Ace Combat 2: to 59 MB w/ method 2. I replaced ACE2.STP with a dummy file. Then used cdgenps2 and cbin.
  • Forsaken (16.5 MB!): method 3. Used cbin to compress even more.
  • Loony Toons Racing (65 MB). Method 3 and cbin.
  • MDK (66 MB). CDgenps2 and cbin
  • Wipeout 3 (43 MB). Replaced the CD audio files (the wav's) with dummies.
  • Side by Side. Method 3.

Have you had any success?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 03:12:32 pm by Meneer Jansen »
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

ruffnutts

Re: Those ridiculously small PSX images
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:57:17 pm »
Well Quake II does work on psx4all dongoo - but I have not seen it that small lol - my .cdn image of the game is 236meg  ;D

quadomatic

• * Former Staff
  • DingooWiki Admin
    • Dingoonity
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:14:59 pm »
It's possible to remove cutscenes and dummy files from psx rips. You can find instructions on how to do stuff like that on pocketmatrix.com

Reo

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 12:05:45 am »
It's worth noting that Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, with sound and everything, is still only 30-something mb. Compressed, of course.

dukemagus

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:39:39 am »
there is a legend that a 800 MB dreamcast image can reach 50-100mb when compressed... guess anything is possible

QBert

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 01:47:24 am »
there is a legend that a 800 MB dreamcast image can reach 50-100mb when compressed... guess anything is possible

It's true. Echelon used to release self-bootable .CDI images with the audio compressed to MP3. You'd run a program to decompress and inject the audio back into the .CDI image before burning. This allowed rips to be tiny (indeed, around 100MB) in some cases.

Meneer Jansen (OP)

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 03:33:38 pm »
It's possible to remove cutscenes and dummy files from psx rips. You can find instructions on how to do stuff like that on pocketmatrix.com
Yep! that's it. Quote:
Almost every *.STR file in a game is a movie
See: http://pocketmatrix.com/guides/psxrip . The tutorial is for Windows. I may boot some more often into Windows the following days (I use Linux per default) to get all my favourite PSX images to fit on one of those cheap 2 GB SD cards! Thank you very much for the link. :)
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

eule

• * Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 03:44:37 pm »
There are also many good psx rips at a site that starts with snes and ends with rama.   ;D

Meneer Jansen (OP)

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 04:54:13 pm »
There are also many good psx rips at a site that starts with snes and ends with rama.   ;D
Yep! But a lot of them don't work. So I may try to get the larger images that work to a smaller size myself.  ;)

Meneer Jansen (OP)

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 11:18:40 pm »
Added some info on my few successes to reduce file size of some image files to use them w/ Psx4All.

codiak

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 11:22:08 pm »
Looks like good success! Will try to shrink some images at the weekend!

codiak

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 10:09:38 pm »
Hm. What to do with .mov files?

Meneer Jansen (OP)

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 02:07:18 pm »
Hm. What to do with .mov files?
I wish I knew. The are not Quicktime movies, but considering the file size of those files I am convinced that they are movies. Therefore they are expendable. One might replace them w/ blank movies in the same format, but then again, that very often does not work w/ the str movies. Maybe some games check file size as some sort of copy protection, I don't know. Maybe the blank str movies I use are corrupt... I dunno.  ???

Meneer Jansen (OP)

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 09:33:30 pm »
See my reply from 28-11-2009 in this topic. Some more small images that work:

Eagle One Harrier Attack (68 MB): Action flight sim. Runs a little slow, but its such a beautiful game that I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Especially since on the real PS One it appears to run slow too.

Independence Day (19 MB): Action flight game. An ugly duckling. Probably a port from the N64 or MS-DOS. But it runs like hell!

Virus: it is aware ... (21 MB): Nice looking fps/adventure. Set the 'cycle multiplier' to 10 and it appears run just fine. :)

Post a new topic
Post a new topic